Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-06-2015, 08:52 AM
Del Mar

Default Dogs Rescued from South Korea

Dogs Bred for Meat in S.Korea Start New Life in US

http://news.yahoo.com/dogs-bred-meat...063946169.html
Old 01-06-2015, 09:48 AM
Belmont Park

What a relief. We euthanize 2.7 million cats and dogs in the US annually because they are not wanted.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/...tatistics.html

This makes complete sense.

Sorta like opening your borders to tens of millions of illegal aliens, and then encouraging more when you can't even begin to afford to pay interest on your debts.

Must be me.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:58 AM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
What a relief. We euthanize 2.7 million cats and dogs in the US annually because they are not wanted.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/...tatistics.html

This makes complete sense.

Sorta like opening your borders to tens of millions of illegal aliens, and then encouraging more when you can't even begin to afford to pay interest on your debts.

Must be me.
Maybe they should've taken 23 dogs out of the 2.7 euthanized here every year, found homes for them and just say that they were from South Korea. Or is that not righteous enough?
Old 01-06-2015, 12:04 PM
Keeneland

Maybe we could initiate a plan on the coattails of 'Cash for Clunkers' success and have a 'Cash for Old Dogs' program. (Cats don't qualify)

Offer $500 dollars for every old dog turned in when adopting a brand new one. Of the 2.7 dogs and cats euthanized 1.2 million were dogs. The total cost to cover the entire 1.2 million would be $600 million or 1/5th the cost of 'Cash for Clunkers'
Old 01-06-2015, 02:21 PM
Del Mar

You guys are missing the point. They are simply trying to raise awareness. They eat around 1.5 million dogs a year in South Korea. I had no idea the number was that high until I read this article.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:28 PM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
You guys are missing the point. They are simply trying to raise awareness. They eat around 1.5 million dogs a year in South Korea. I had no idea the number was that high until I read this article.
So whats worse, them using them as a food source and eating 1.5 million dogs a year, or us putting down 2 million dogs/cats a year cause of various reason?
Old 01-06-2015, 07:53 PM
Dee Tee Stables

saw the other day that they eat dogs in switzerland too. had no idea. they eat cats, too.
but like they said, you don't see stray dogs all over either.
do i want to eat a dog? no. am i going to tell others they can't either? no, especially when one considers how much hunger there is in the world.
it's like horses. people celebrated when the knackers were shut in the u.s....but, it just meant longer journeys for those horses, to mexico or canada.

we can't breed dogs, horses, etc, like mad and then say 'but you can't eat them'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafi Bomb View Post
So whats worse, them using them as a food source and eating 1.5 million dogs a year, or us putting down 2 million dogs/cats a year cause of various reason?
it's discussions like these that make me wonder, who decided what's only useful for food, and what's a pet?
you get hungry enough, nothing's a pet.

as for 'raising awareness'....india looks at cows as being sacred, and they export them--for money, they know we eat them.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:22 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafi Bomb View Post
You make a good point. It is inexcusable for us to put down so many. There are so many irresponsible owners in this country. They think it will be fun to let their dog have puppies, even though they're not going to be able to take care of the puppies. Some states are starting to have restrictions on breeding of cats and dogs. I think that is a good idea. There are simply to many irresponsible people and there aren't enough good homes to take in all the unwanted pets.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:26 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
You make a good point. It is inexcusable for us to put down so many. There are so many irresponsible owners in this country. They think it will be fun to let their dog have puppies, even though they're not going to be able to take care of the puppies. Some states are starting to have restrictions on breeding of cats and dogs. I think that is a good idea. There are simply to many irresponsible people and there aren't enough good homes to take in all the unwanted pets.
Had a guy in my office talking about his dog being in heat and him having a hard time keeping his male dog away. I said have her fixed...he said he didn't want to alter what god had made..ugh