Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2017, 04:35 PM
helicopter11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
thats a real good point about the last race and ring weekend.

just not sure about flamboyant but hey he should be a nice price.
Flamboyant has some really sharp workouts of late but he is scratched. Would have been a great value play
Old 03-12-2017, 06:21 AM
Steve Byk

SUN 7th (3:37) Santa Ana S. (G2)

1 1/8 Miles (Turf) | Fillies and Mares | 4 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $200,000

1 1 Pretty Girl (ARG) Espinoza V Lobo Paulo H 120 L 6-1
2 2 Do the Dance Baze T C Sherlock Gary 120 L 12-1
3 3 Goodyearforroses (IRE) Nakatani C S Baltas Richard 120 L 5-2
4 4 Sheeza Milky Way Theriot H J II Eurton Peter 120 L 6-1
5 5 Sweet Charity (FR) Prat F Sadler John W 120 L 4-1
6 6 Kenriya (FR) Bejarano R Baltas Richard 120 L 4-1
7 7 Evo Campo (IRE) Blanc B Gallagher Patrick 120 L 8-1
8 8 Responsibleforlove (IRE) Arroyo N Jr Drysdale Neil 120 FTL 6-1

$1 Exacta / $1 Trifecta / $2 Rolling Double $1 Rolling Pick Three (Races 7-8-9) / $1 Superfecta (.10 Min.)
Old 03-12-2017, 08:00 AM
Ellis Park

I'm certainly not Splitting the Atom here.
In review:
The Calif. 3yo Spring Classics run certainly appears to be in jeopardy this year.
There's very little left standing....
Considering how poorly Gormley ran yesterday, I wouldn't be very high on American Anthem next week in Hot Springs.
Unless Royal Mo is a runner,it's slim pickings out West.
So Calif/New York look dry 3yo Colt wise.
Considering what happened in the Honeybee yesterday,you really have to wonder if the Don Alberto bunch are starting to eye the Santa Anita Derby.........Unique Bella would be eighty cents on the dollar{or less} in that race.......right ?

Masochistic couldn't of had it any easier........trending way down.

Real nice training job by Mandella........Bal a Bali looked like something inside the final Pole.
What a View ran lights out,nice type........tough beat.
Dortmund........back to the drawing board,I guess he got something out of the race......maybe ?
If Ring Weekend wasn't a gelding,they probably would of retired him after yesterday.

That's two Gr. 1's in his last four for Shaman Ghost.......good for him.

King Jerry has another nice 3yo Filly(how many is that now ?),Sircat Sally took a pretty solid version of the China Doll and did it with class.
She's undefeated and making every challenge look easy.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxicab View Post
The Calif. 3yo Spring Classics run certainly appears to be in jeopardy this year.
There's very little left standing....
Considering how poorly Gormley ran yesterday, I wouldn't be very high on American Anthem next week in Hot Springs.
I think you might be to quick to jump to that conclusion. American Anthem improved so much between his first two starts it should be interesting to see how or if he continues to develop.

As for Gormley, who knows what happened with him? Mastery is so much better than him as of yesterday that you cant really gauge his performance in respect to American Anthem's ability also.

American Anthem, even before yesterday, had tons more upside than Gormley.
Old 03-13-2017, 01:13 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Im with Indian Charlie. AA could be special.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:51 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Im with Indian Charlie. AA could be special.
Considering that I'm colder than an eskimo with a pocketful of ice cubes at the windows right now,you guys might be right.........but I'm now spooked off of the Gormley dud.
He'll get pounded at the stations Saturday,and I think the 3yo strength(Colts) runs through the Southern region..............I'll try and beat him off the company line.
Strangely enough I've always liked Royal Mo a bit,think he has talent........I can see him making noise at some point in the Spring Classics.
It should be a good betting card @ OP Saturday,good luck to those wagering.

Last edited by taxicab : 03-13-2017 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:55 PM
Oriental Park

I think think there is a canyon between AA and Mastery....and I think that is not a uncommon feeling among many and well before this weekend.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:04 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
I think think there is a canyon between AA and Mastery....and I think that is not a uncommon feeling among many and well before this weekend.
It's always been evident there is a canyon between the two, but it's irrelevant. Mastery is out now and he was unlikely to make the derby in one piece anyways, as horses that are as brilliant as he is almost never do.

Now that he is out, it's much more wide open.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:09 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
It's always been evident there is a canyon between the two, but it's irrelevant. Mastery is out now and he was unlikely to make the derby in one piece anyways, as horses that are as brilliant as he is almost never do.

Now that he is out, it's much more wide open.
So now we are supposed to be excited for a horse who just another horse among the group.....no thanks, there has to be better bandwagons

and go back to mastery's wins, many here and other places were very dubious.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:23 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
So now we are supposed to be excited for a horse who just another horse among the group.....no thanks, there has to be better bandwagons

and go back to mastery's wins, many here and other places were very dubious.
Bandwagon? I'm just saying he is one of the better looking options in a potential field of unappealing options.

And dubious or not, mastery was lengths better than anyone else has shown to date. Well, maybe not the first two finishers of the bcj, but one of them is retired and the other has serious issues.
Old 03-13-2017, 11:44 PM
Oriental Park

I will be against AA in his next race, havnt seen the field but he seems like an average sort to me, definitely not a type who can win the derby, and likely not this weekend at 8/5.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:34 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I will be against AA in his next race, havnt seen the field but he seems like an average sort to me, definitely not a type who can win the derby, and likely not this weekend at 8/5.
If American Anthem starts in the Rebel, he will have reached the average number of starts of his 4 older siblings, the most durable of which made all of 5 starts (with a 18 month intermission in the middle of its career).

It is highly unlikely that the sire will mitigate the mare's unsoundness, seeing how Bodemeister made all of 6 starts himself while his sire made 8 starts and his dam made 4 starts.

As a stallion, Bodemeister put in a modest first crop performance at best last year.

As for American Anthem's races, his debut appears to grow weaker by the second unless you consider Iliad's tail-swishing dry heave in the stretch of the San Felipe cause for optimism. So Conflated and Sheer Flattery have tanked in top company (or what passes for top company these days).

The Sham has been terrible. Aside from Gormley's dusting on Saturday, Colonel Samsen has failed twice, Term of Art twice, and Big Hit went to the sidelines. Blabimir, who was a DNF, would have had the dubious distinction of having 3 DNFs on his record in 5 career starts had Mario Gutierrez had any mercy last out in the San Vincente, in which he walked across the finish line some 50+ lengths behind the rest of the field (in a sprint).

On the bright side, Bird is the Word came out of this "graded stakes" to break his maiden next time out...on the grass.