Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2012, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Default Speaking of things that will proably eventually kill you...

Bacon cheeseburger, with egg, with two glazed donuts as buns.

Would you hit that?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:42 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post

Would you hit that?
except for the donuts, that stuff is actually pretty decent.

that whole saturated fats is bad for you is complete nonsense.

there is a place i saw on tv, i think near atlanta, that does a similar burger. it's more bacon, meat and eggs than that, but what makes it really appealing is that instead of buns, it uses grilled cheese sandwiches to hold it all together. That's right, grilled cheese sandwiche(S) as buns.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:

Would you hit that?
not in that combination. i can count on one hand the amount of times i've eaten donuts in the last decade. not much of a burger person. i eat eggs, soft scrambled.

ah, but the bacon. oh, hell yes, i'll eat the bacon.
Old 04-27-2012, 01:56 PM
Goodwood

Yeah, donuts are disgusting.

Where is that burger from? Some place in drErie?
Old 04-27-2012, 01:59 PM
Dee Tee Stables

on diners drive ins and dives they had a place that makes the burger from hell.

patties with grilled cheese sandwiches rather than bun. and a big fried egg in it. i think it had something else with it as well. i don't know how you could take a bite, the thing was huge.

er....that's what she said.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:32 PM
Del Mar

There is a new restaurant in Vegas that brags about how unhealthy their food is. It's called The Heart Attack Cafe Grill. So far two people have collapsed while eating there. The restaurant serves a 6,000-calorie burger called "Triple Bypass Burger". While you're eating there you might also want to order the "flatliner fries".

By the way, if you weigh over 350 pounds, you get to eat there for free.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow...191647836.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ss-Burger.html
Old 04-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post

By the way, if you weigh over 350 pounds, you get to eat there for free.

How can that be profitable for them?
Old 04-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
They obviously do it for publicity. I'm sure it doesn't hurt their bottom line too badly. How many people weigh over 350 pounds?

I was saddened to read that, "Last year, the company's 600-pound spokes-model died when he was only 29-years-old." I'm shocked. That guy looked like a picture of health.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 04-28-2012 at 01:02 AM.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:16 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
they draw a lot of 250-300 pounders who enjoy being inconspicuous for once.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Saratoga

Quote:

Would you hit that?
Oh eeew there isn't one thing in that picture I'd eat let alone the whole monstrosity.

Sick!
Old 04-28-2012, 04:10 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
except for the donuts, that stuff is actually pretty decent.

that whole saturated fats is bad for you is complete nonsense.

there is a place i saw on tv, i think near atlanta, that does a similar burger. it's more bacon, meat and eggs than that, but what makes it really appealing is that instead of buns, it uses grilled cheese sandwiches to hold it all together. That's right, grilled cheese sandwiche(S) as buns.
I think the evidence that saturated fats are bad for you is overwhelming. I know that you can find some studies out there that contradict this. I'm sure we could go back and forth on this. I could post one study that shows how bad it is for you and then you could post a study that shows the opposite.

I think Dean Ornish's study was very convincing. They did angiograms on a bunch of heart patients and measured the degree that their arteries were blocked. They put half of these people on a vegan diet and put the other half on a diet where they ate chicken and fish instead of red meat. They waited for 6 months or so and then repeated the angiograms. The peoples' arteries who ate the vegan diet had totally opened up. The blockages in their arteries were reduced significantly. The people in the other group showed no real improvement.

Here is an article from a guy whose view is middle of the road. He thinks that not all saturated fats are created the same. He thinks that some are really bad for you while others are not. He thinks it is ok to eat some saturated fat.

http://juvenon.com/jhj/vol4no09.htm
Old 04-28-2012, 07:13 PM
Goodwood

The study that initially demonized saturated fats, the authors were later caught for falsifying their data.

In which manner did they falsify their data, you might ask?

They used trans fats in place of saturated fats (in tests) to justify the use of trans fats to replace saturated fats in the American diet!

You cannot make this stuff up!

As for the studies you mention? Keep in mind most 'meat' animals in this country are raised on mostly grain based diets. Grains (I am including seeds as well) are loaded with polyunsaturated fats, which are beyond any shadow of a doubt HORRIBLE for you. Studies purporting to espouse the health benefits of PUFAs (poly unsaturated fatty acids) are invariably funded by groups that make a lot of money from growing corn, rapeseed, etc..

Ornish's study has been thoroughly debunked.

I urge you to read Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, head of the Weston A. Price foundation. Get it on Amazon.

I know far too many people that have remarkably improved their health by ditching veggie oils and going back to our more traditional type of diet, the ones our ancestors would have eaten.

Remember, all of these Western style diseases (heart disease, diabetes, etc..) didn't go epidemic until shortly after the food pyramid was introduced and saturated fats were demonized.

One of the main targets of those initial studies was coconut oil! Coconut oil is great stuff. You can eat coconut oil to lose weight, it fights infection and also provides quick energy. It also is highly resistant to oxidation which makes it a great choice for cooking oil.

With any polyunsaturated fatty acid that you buy in the store, you are buying rancid fats before you even open it. I mean rancid in the chemical sense, in that the oil is badly oxidized well before it reaches the consumer. This is not even debatable.

Oxidized oils are cancer and heart disease in a bottle.
Old 04-28-2012, 07:24 PM
Flemington

Charlie -

Have you seen King Corn or Food, Inc.?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:35 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Charlie -

Have you seen King Corn or Food, Inc.?
Yes to both.

Knew all that stuff already, but it was nice to see an effort being made to de-educate the masses.

Why do you ask?
Old 04-28-2012, 07:37 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
The study that initially demonized saturated fats, the authors were later caught for falsifying their data.

In which manner did they falsify their data, you might ask?

They used trans fats in place of saturated fats (in tests) to justify the use of trans fats to replace saturated fats in the American diet!

You cannot make this stuff up!

As for the studies you mention? Keep in mind most 'meat' animals in this country are raised on mostly grain based diets. Grains (I am including seeds as well) are loaded with polyunsaturated fats, which are beyond any shadow of a doubt HORRIBLE for you. Studies purporting to espouse the health benefits of PUFAs (poly unsaturated fatty acids) are invariably funded by groups that make a lot of money from growing corn, rapeseed, etc..

Ornish's study has been thoroughly debunked.

I urge you to read Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, head of the Weston A. Price foundation. Get it on Amazon.

I know far too many people that have remarkably improved their health by ditching veggie oils and going back to our more traditional type of diet, the ones our ancestors would have eaten.

Remember, all of these Western style diseases (heart disease, diabetes, etc..) didn't go epidemic until shortly after the food pyramid was introduced and saturated fats were demonized.

One of the main targets of those initial studies was coconut oil! Coconut oil is great stuff. You can eat coconut oil to lose weight, it fights infection and also provides quick energy. It also is highly resistant to oxidation which makes it a great choice for cooking oil.

With any polyunsaturated fatty acid that you buy in the store, you are buying rancid fats before you even open it. I mean rancid in the chemical sense, in that the oil is badly oxidized well before it reaches the consumer. This is not even debatable.

Oxidized oils are cancer and heart disease in a bottle.
My understanding is that there is a huge difference between grass-fed meat and the grain-fed meat that 99.999% of us eat. I have heard that grass-fed meat is not bad for you at all.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 PM
Flemington

Quote:
My understanding is that there is a huge difference between grass-fed meat and the grain-fed meat that 99.999% of us eat. I have heard that grass-fed meat is not bad for you at all.
I only eat grass-fed, for more reasons than just my own health.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:51 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
I only eat grass-fed, for more reasons than just my own health.
I've never tried grass-fed beef. I'm anxious to try it. Not only is it much better for you, I've heard it tastes better too. I rarely eat red meat. I eat it less than once a month.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I've never tried grass-fed beef. I'm anxious to try it. Not only is it much better for you, I've heard it tastes better too. I rarely eat red meat. I eat it less than once a month.
You will also notice it cooks a little differently too.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/grassfedbeef/
Old 04-28-2012, 09:10 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
You will also notice it cooks a little differently too.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/grassfedbeef/
I actually do all of my shopping at Whole Foods. But I always buy stuff that is already cooked. I don't know why but they never have grass-fed beef in the part of the store where they have the cooked food. They only have it in the butcher's department.

Would you say the grass-fed beef tastes much better?
Old 04-28-2012, 09:23 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I actually do all of my shopping at Whole Foods. But I always buy stuff that is already cooked. I don't know why but they never have grass-fed beef in the part of the store where they have the cooked food. They only have it in the butcher's department.

Would you say the grass-fed beef tastes much better?
It definitely has more flavor. I buy their prepared foods alot too, but it seems like they cater to the general american's menu (at least my store does) than showing off some of their healthier items. I LOVE the butternut squash dishes and mashed cauliflower though.