Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-29-2008, 03:07 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGFan
Well have you looked at mine......

Top feline predator.....

btw good pic of geeker, better than his day after the BC...poor kitty.

I just took it
Old 10-29-2008, 04:16 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer
For what it's worth, and not too much I would think...I feel like the min. wage is a good thing.
We agree again. It is a good thing.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
We agree again. It is a good thing.
Good...I'd much rather hold hands with you than argue.

You were upsetting me in the James thread...and I feel wounded about that reaction to you-----the world isn't right that way.

Now I have to go home.

Oh.

I am home.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:23 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Good...I'd much rather hold hands with you than argue.

You were upsetting me in the James thread...and I feel wounded about that reaction to you-----the world isn't right that way.

Now I have to go home.

Oh.

I am home.
Ok.... now try for the nudie picts..I think you are in!
Old 10-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2
Ok.... now try for the nudie picts..I think you are in!
I don't think the time is quite right,Geeker.

Of course...I have found it never is around here.

But oh well.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:45 PM
Flemington

The minimum wage is supposed to be the very least people can survive on. If you don't raise it to make up for the increased cost of living, then you're really reducing someone's salary. If you want to keep down the minimum wage, then you're really saying you want to reduce the real salary of the least paid workers. That's why most Republicans want to keep the minimum wage down. They want to form a 2 class society. That's exactly what keeping the minimum wage low does. They sell it as a way to provide more jobs. Yes, a lot of bad paying jobs. They sell it by saying a bad job is better than no job. Do it their way, and you will have just a 2 class society. Everything they preach (including wanting a static minimum wage) is a recipe for making a 2 class society. That's why the words increase and raised are used when really it's just an adjustment for an increased cost of living. Are they really giving people an actual raise in their standard of living? No. You're allowing them to keep up. Republicans want them to fall behind. They think they deserve to fall behind. That's what they are saying when they want to keep it static.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Thistley Downs

God.

Now I am going ho....to another room.

He's going to comment on me now---you watch.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:52 PM
Flemington

There's that guy again. White on rice n' gray on mice.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Thistley Downs

OK,SM.....now say...''I am a fat moo cow."

And then say----moo.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:37 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
The minimum wage is supposed to be the very least people can survive on. If you don't raise it to make up for the increased cost of living, then you're really reducing someone's salary. If you want to keep down the minimum wage, then you're really saying you want to reduce the real salary of the least paid workers. That's why most Republicans want to keep the minimum wage down. They want to form a 2 class society. That's exactly what keeping the minimum wage low does. They sell it as a way to provide more jobs. Yes, a lot of bad paying jobs. They sell it by saying a bad job is better than no job. Do it their way, and you will have just a 2 class society. Everything they preach (including wanting a static minimum wage) is a recipe for making a 2 class society. That's why the words increase and raised are used when really it's just an adjustment for an increased cost of living. Are they really giving people an actual raise in their standard of living? No. You're allowing them to keep up. Republicans want them to fall behind. They think they deserve to fall behind. That's what they are saying when they want to keep it static.
there is a long standing (i.e. decades long) and broad consensus among economists that minimum wage laws hurt the very people they are supposed to help by distorting the labor market.

alternates like the earned income credit and general welfare accomplish what you think minimum wage is supposed to do without causing a loss of available jobs.

minimum wage doesn't just prevent employer's from buying labor at a market price. it stops people from selling their labor at a rate where they could get a job, learn a skill, and find better employment with their experience.

i mean, screw a living wage. if minimum wage actually works to an employee's benefit, why don't we just raise it to $250/hour and we can all be rich.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Thistley Downs

That is so unfair.

I'm quite disappointed in you.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:14 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
That is so unfair.

I'm quite disappointed in you.
okay. $350/hour.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Thistley Downs

Time and a half over 40.

Really,though....and I'm not a dem nor rep nor libertarian nor independent......ah just is.....but I think antagonists get carried away with min. wage.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:34 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Time and a half over 40.

Really,though....and I'm not a dem nor rep nor libertarian nor independent......ah just is.....but I think antagonists get carried away with min. wage.
it's here to stay regardless.

but if you can imagine what would happen to jobs at a $250/hr minimum wage, is it that hard to think there might be one or two less positions available at $10/hour?

that's the economic argument. i'm not hard headed or hearted. but i think the idea a minimum wage helps the poor is flawed.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god
it's here to stay regardless.

but if you can imagine what would happen to jobs at a $250/hr minimum wage, is it that hard to think there might be one or two less positions available at $10/hour?

that's the economic argument. i'm not hard headed or hearted. but i think the idea a minimum wage helps the poor is flawed.
I guess I'm not seeing what you mean.

You are smarter than me and I'm not being a wise guy ...so can you say it a different way?
Old 10-29-2008, 09:49 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
I guess I'm not seeing what you mean.

You are smarter than me and I'm not being a wise guy ...so can you say it a different way?
there wouldn't be a lot of jobs around if an employer had to pay $250/hour.

small employer's are the ones really hurt by a minimum wage. if they're barely profitable paying 10 employee's $8/hour and the minimum wage is raised to $10, a lot of them will have to figure out a way to make a go with 8 employee's or just go out of business altogether.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:55 PM
Arlington Park

raising the earned income credit on federal taxes accomplishes the same thing raising the minimum wage is supposed to do (establish a minimum income level for working people) without driving marginal business's out of the employment market.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
there wouldn't be a lot of jobs around if an employer had to pay $250/hour.

small employer's are the ones really hurt by a minimum wage. if they're barely profitable paying 10 employee's $8/hour and the minimum wage is raised to $10, a lot of them will have to figure out a way to make a go with 8 employee's or just go out of business altogether.
Uh..OK.

But nothing is ever going to solve to 100%.

I don't know if I buy the theory. All competitors would have to pay the same and that would reflect in selling price.

I think a place would have to be in the throes to go belly up with a MW increase.

So I do can't help but to think it's good.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:07 PM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
raising the earned income credit on federal taxes accomplishes the same thing raising the minimum wage is supposed to do (establish a minimum income level for working people) without driving marginal business's out of the employment market.
Oh...I don't know anything about the eic.

I'm not for getting killed on taxes,but do think people shouldn't have to have it so rough for work that can be pretty tough. So maybe if I understood eic I might even say both are good. I still don't quite see where so many businesses would be hurt.
Old 10-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Uh..OK.

But nothing is ever going to solve to 100%.

I don't know if I buy the theory. All competitors would have to pay the same and that would reflect in selling price.

I think a place would have to be in the throes to go belly up with a MW increase.

So I do can't help but to think it's good.
mort-

if i get a raise but i have to pay more for everything i buy as a result, did i really get a raise?

i'm not against establishing a minimum income for working people. i just think there's better ways of doing it. the earned income credit and welfare don't cause unemployment. the minimum wage does.

but screw it. we both need to stop this.

i'm enjoying your work elsewhere too much.