Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Joe Silverio Simulcast Center
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-17-2006, 08:17 AM
Steve Byk

Default AQU: An 'Inner' Preview

horseplayers get a surprise Inner Track preview this weekend as NYRA wisely utilizes the third oval today, tomorrow and Sunday with the main track waterlogged. A group meeting of track management, trainers and squacking jocks resulted in the logical decision Thursday after the third race to move racing to the winter surface while maintainence works on the main.

Racing will return to the outer Wednesday-Sunday next week before the Inner is again employed for the rest of the long winter portion of the meet starting November 29. The move throws a bit of a curveball to punters, many playing in weekend handicapping tourneys, as the Inner plays differently than any other surface on the NYRA circuit.

The Inner Track is frequently compared to the inner turf course at Saratoga in terms of running style. The Inner also cannot run races between 6.5-8 furlongs, so elongated sprints are reduced to 6f or stretched to a mile or mile and 70 yards. Inside speed has long dominated the Aqueduct Inner, though that was less true for the first half of last year's Big A congregation before rearing its' head around February '06.

The focus is the late P4 today, and comes on the heels of Wednesday's long afternoon of P6 mayhem. We fared OK in the 18 races, starting torpidly at Aqueduct before warmning at Churchill and catching fire at Hollywood. Failing to single Harvard Avenue, long a favorite horse of ours, in the Inglewood 7th, was all that stood between the $192 play bring home the $11,000 pot... Uggh. The 5 of 6 conso got you back $144. Churchill's sloppy main didn't adversely impact our view of that six getting 4 of the sextet and a number of exotics.

In all, 14 of the day's 18 winners were among our top 4's, while 11 exactas, 4 triples and 2 superfectas were sprinkled in. It was a fun day.. Hope you did well...

SELECTIONS -- Aqueduct Inner, 11/17/06 (R6-9, Late P4, DD's, Late P3)

RED race numbers = Superfecta events

6th: NYB-MDN CLM, F&M-3+, 6f (P4, DD)

1. #1e Schettino entry 10-1: #1 Where's Whitey debuted on AQI in Feb.
2. #9 Raisin' Silver 3-1: Domino grey has chased some OK state-breds 3rd
A. #3 Sumannonymoushoss 15-1: Cedano pulls tricks on Cape Town gal
B. #7 Today's Charmer 6-1: Respect Hernandez always; Bay gets Corny 4th

7th: CLM, F&M-3+, 6f (P3)

1. #7 Darby Haven 3-1: 44/8-10-11 7yo is one tough race mare WON
2. #1 Glittering Racket 5-1: Gets rail; Edgar sticks; 2/1-1-0 on AQI
A. #9 The End is Clear 10-1: Hough drops in from NYB ALW efforts 4th
B. #4 Sweet Nicole 9-2: Imperio grey fits as MED runners like this course

LONGSHOT ALERT/SUPER ADD: #2 Soft Expression 15-1: Liked Inner; Comes late.. 2nd

8th: NYB-OC/N2X, 3+, 9f (DD)

1. #3 Notadroptodrink 8-1: Last win came on Inner in December '05 4th
2. #6 Stellianos 12-1: Old pal LOVES, LOVES, LOVES this surface
A. #1 Dreamin of Victory 2-1: Parisella bay saves ground, 4th in stake last WON
B. #2 Couth 3-1: Hernandez soph could nurse front end in paceless affair 2nd

LONGSHOT ALERT/SUPER ADD: #5 Hunter's Tale 20-1: Half his earnings this strip in one third of his starts..

9th: NYB-OC/N2X, 3+, 1m

1. #8 R Clear Victory 5-1: Wire threat but Edgar will need to clear
2. #7 Wave the Baton 9-2: Velasquez exacta player 5 of 6 times aboard
A. #4 Shuffling Madnes 3-1: From our pal Joe Gioia; Running late WON
B. #10 Questioning 4-1: Lerman grey bounced last; Reunites with Coa

LONGSHOT ALERT/SUPER ADD: #9 Boysik 12-1: Barbara bay a threat with repeat of last..

<50 P4 Play:

6: 1-3-9
7: 1-7
8: 1-2-3-6
9: 7-8

3x2x4x2 = $48

Good luck..!
Steve

Last edited by Kasept : 11-17-2006 at 03:43 PM.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:32 AM
oracle80

Steve I'm not so sure that the inner track will be "speed favoring" today.
The tight turns are most often mentioned when the discussion of speed on the inner dust come up but in reality the Aqueduct inner dirt is the answer to a great bar bet. The question on the bet is : Saratoga, Belmont, Aqueduct Main, and Aqueduct Inner, which one has the longest stretch? The answer is the Aqueduct inner dirt track. It has the longest stretch of the 4 NY dirt tracks.
The reason its often speed favoring is that the lime base firms up during the cold months and often leads to speed carrying. My observations over the years have been when there are warm temperatures or a thaw on the inner dirt that closers actually outperform the speed horses.
Its warm today, and I don't know that they worked it a whole lot yet because it wasn't scheduled for opening until two weeks from this past Wednesday.
I strongly suggest that those playing today watch the first few races and take a look at how the track is playing before dumping any serious coin into any plays.
Dreamin of Victory should air in the feature. I tried to buy him privately this past summer for someone but I felt they wanted too much money for him. Either they dropped the price or Parisella/Kupferberg were willing to pay what they wanted.
Hes had some less than ideal trips against much better horses and has faced better than these have. Also the race is completely and totally devoid of speed, one of the most paceless races that I have ever seen. Believe it or not, with his inside draw, he may very well set the pace or be right off it.
Send it in with both fists on this one.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:38 AM
Steve Byk

Mike,

Appreciate the added insights.. Thing about today is that they had no idea it was coming and the track has been sealed tight since Spring. No one has even worked over it. Contessa said they were going to unseal it with the equipment today, so I imagine it should be really tight. Will be pretty interesting.

I'm in the Capping Tourney at the Teletheater this weekend, and you have to play 6 races BOTH days at AQU as part of it... REALLY throws a wrench at things!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:47 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Mike,

Appreciate the added insights.. Thing about today is that they had no idea it was coming and the track has been sealed tight since Spring. No one has even worked over it. Contessa said they were going to unseal it with the equipment today, so I imagine it should be really tight. Will be pretty interesting.

I'm in the Capping Tourney at the Teletheater this weekend, and you have to play 6 races BOTH days at AQU as part of it... REALLY throws a wrench at things!
A friend and I are in the same tourney. Hes entering and playing for us with me adding in over the phone.
Was gonna go down but have a wicked head cold.
I have one more bit of info to pass along to Derby Trailers in the 4th race at Aqueduct.
Before her debut on October 21st Biogio's Bella was working sensationally up here at Oklahoma. She was working so well that we tried to buy her and came close but couldn't agree upon price.
Bet her in her debut and lost some cash. She took some money and ran poorly. Turns out she entrapped in that race so its a complete and total tossout, when they can't breathe they sure as hell can't run.
Bond has really heated up as of late, and hes 20% with 2nd time starters as compared to 2% with firsters(that was before yesterday when he won with his 2nd first time starter in 2 years, so lets call it 6%) and Prado sticks with her. Mott's filly is obviously well bred and has many works, so she ought to be fit. But Biogio's Bella was really working up a storm before her debut and with that excuse that is not apparent in the DRF, she may offer some value. Make sure you use her in your pik's and exotic wagers.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:05 AM
Jerome Park

Mike,

If you would just throw in a few nicknames that post would be perfect.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:08 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Mike,

If you would just throw in a few nicknames that post would be perfect.
You mean like old wooden teeth?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:17 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
You mean like old wooden teeth?

I'm not clever enough to figure that one out.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:19 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
I'm not clever enough to figure that one out.
You're kidding right?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:30 AM
Jerome Park

I'm probably not even getting my own joke I'm having such a lousy day.
Old 11-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Jerome Park

Nice card today by the way....love how the first scratched from ten horses down to five. Let me guess, they hate the inner?
Old 11-17-2006, 01:18 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

the 5th is nasty ..10,,7?6...9...
Old 11-17-2006, 01:23 PM
Jerome Park

Things are so bad that Raul Rojas just won at 2-1...and it wasn't an underlay!
Old 11-17-2006, 01:28 PM

saw that wow..what a day at the big a..
Old 11-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Steve Byk

Default Where Whitey at?

With Schettino scratching Where's Whitey (#1), the Sutherland remnant is hardly inspiring.. #6 Karakorum Karen moves up the way the track is predictably playing. I'd add her to any play with the other players in the original selection(s)...
Old 11-17-2006, 01:46 PM
Jerome Park

I bet My Aiken Cat and boxed 9-10-11.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:54 PM

nice...andy...wtf..garcia ripped his head sideways and killed his win chance..but it worked out for ya..congrats
Old 11-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Jerome Park

He had no excuse...perfect trip and hung like a chandelier. Had the exacta...thanks.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Narragansett Park

Oracle, thanks for the winner in the 8th.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:17 PM

its a friggin rodeo ...
Old 11-17-2006, 03:36 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
its a friggin rodeo ...
You can say that again!!!!!!!
The 9th resembled a rodeo more than a race. I'm done playing for the day. Made two bets, lost the fisrt one and played the late DD into Questioning and Shuffling Madness. No way I win that race without a loose horse destroying the Blasi horse.
When you get lucky and win a race you have absolutely no business winning, you take the chips and try it again the next day.
To anyone who bet Blasi's horse, man I'm sorry, thats a horrendous beat to have to take. Those are the kind that keep you up at night. My condolences.