Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Saratoga

Default What not to eat

"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."

~ Thomas Edison

Please click on your state and if any of these restaurants are in your area kindly consider avoiding them...

http://awionline.org/content/restaur...shark-fin-soup

http://www.pewenvironment.org/news-r...ps-85899409748

"A human being is a part of the whole, called by us ' Universe,' a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

~Albert Einstein
Old 08-16-2012, 08:18 PM
Flemington

So sad.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:21 PM
Saratoga

It just doesn't end.

People assume that because the finning act passed last year it's all over but it's not.

I don't understand who could even consider eating such a thing.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:29 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
It just doesn't end.

People assume that because the finning act passed last year it's all over but it's not.

My only hope is that they don't understand and through education they will. I was watching the show Shark Wranglers and they showed the terrible means in which the fisherman obtain the fins and I nearly threw up.

Thankfully, some are using their fame for good:
http://www.savetheelephants.org/
Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
My only hope is that they don't understand and through education they will. I was watching the show Shark Wranglers and they showed the terrible means in which the fisherman obtain the fins and I nearly threw up.

Thankfully, some are using their fame for good:
http://www.savetheelephants.org/
It's shocking and sickening how cruel some people can be and yeah you're right about being hopeful cause I do think once people see what kind of thing goes on they at least talk about it and that's a start.

Oh I love elephants... I'm glad you posted that.

Have you seen this, about Shouka?

I know were going from one thing to another, but...

http://www.takepart.com/article/2012...=tp-ptnr-hufpo
Old 08-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Arlington Park

I caught a segment on some news show tonight (not sure which one since I was channel surfing). Chelsea Clinton was interviewing a woman who rescues orphan baby elephants. It was very interesting. They put blankets on them and each baby is very particular about what blanket they like. Just like kids!

Since we're skipping around subject wise and the title of this thread is "what not to eat", would someone please explain to my cattle dog that you don't eat ROCKS. Just brought her home from having emergency surgery on Tuesday.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:21 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rileyoriley View Post
I caught a segment on some news show tonight (not sure which one since I was channel surfing). Chelsea Clinton was interviewing a woman who rescues orphan baby elephants. It was very interesting. They put blankets on them and each baby is very particular about what blanket they like. Just like kids!

Since we're skipping around subject wise and the title of this thread is "what not to eat", would someone please explain to my cattle dog that you don't eat ROCKS. Just brought her home from having emergency surgery on Tuesday.
Was it this woman?
http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.or...lovestory.html She's awesome! They also featured her in the documentary, Born to be Wild:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1680059/

My boyfriend's dog thinks rocks are the greatest toys ever. He digs them up and then sucks them, so odd. I hope your dog is ok!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:24 PM
Flemington

Quote:
It's shocking and sickening how cruel some people can be and yeah you're right about being hopeful cause I do think once people see what kind of thing goes on they at least talk about it and that's a start.

Poor Shouka.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:39 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Was it this woman?
http://www.sheldrickwildlifetrust.or...lovestory.html She's awesome! They also featured her in the documentary, Born to be Wild:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1680059/

My boyfriend's dog thinks rocks are the greatest toys ever. He digs them up and then sucks them, so odd. I hope your dog is ok!
I turned it on in the middle so I'm not sure of her name. Looks like it could be her.

Rumor had it lodged in her small intestine. So far, so good. She's got a pain patch until Saturday, on 2 antibiotics and 1 antinausea meds. They'll recheck her liver values next week and staples come out the 25th.
This is how I'm spending my vacay.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:05 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I turned it on in the middle so I'm not sure of her name. Looks like it could be her.

Rumor had it lodged in her small intestine. So far, so good. She's got a pain patch until Saturday, on 2 antibiotics and 1 antinausea meds. They'll recheck her liver values next week and staples come out the 25th.
This is how I'm spending my vacay.

poor Rumor
Old 08-17-2012, 09:38 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
"Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages."

~ Thomas Edison

Please click on your state and if any of these restaurants are in your area kindly consider avoiding them...

"A human being is a part of the whole, called by us ' Universe,' a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. Nobody is able to achieve this completely, but the striving for such achievement is in itself a part of the liberation and a foundation for inner security."

~Albert Einstein
Not surprised to see it on so many menus here, our Asian populace is VERY traditional.
I suppose if there is a bright side non were on the endangered list. Shame what they do to those sharks.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Hoping that she's doing better.

This happened to a dog belonging to a good friend of mine. When the veterinarian extracted the stone, my friend took it to a jeweler, had it polished and mounted in a necklace. Said she might as well wear it, since it was the most expensive stone she would ever own.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:24 AM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
It just doesn't end.

So true.

But put a baby harp seal on a spit for a couple hours.............Now that's good eatin' !
Old 08-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's twin View Post
So true.

But put a baby harp seal on a spit for a couple hours.............Now that's good eatin' !
They're inquisitive because until they learn fear a lot of animals are and they're trusting because they're just babies - a few weeks to a few months old - who don't know not to be so when the ice has melted enough to get through and the trucks arrive they stay where they are. They're interested.

This isn't a hunt because that word implies some kind of fleeing, no? A chase? A chance to get away?

This isn't a hunt, this is a slaughter.

Some of the people ride up right along side them in their trucks or snowmobiles. The Canadian Coast Guard graciously helps these sad excuses for humanity by telling them exactly where the largest collection(s) of seals are.

Nothing like a little help from your friends!

They have these sticks that are long and have sharp hooks on one end. They club them, kick them in their faces, drag them off with hooks digging into them and are wink, wink supposed to wait one full minute to make sure the seal pups are dead before they begin to skin them.

Canada's Department of Fisheries and Oceans is responsible for that act of kindness as well as things like the blinking eye test. The sealers are instructed to make sure the skull is crushed and to make sure to bleed them by severing the arteries under the front flippers.

Studies have been done and it's estimated that around 40 percent are skinned alive because who the **** wants to wait a whole minute?

Skinned alive.

Skinned.

Alive.

If the older seals approach they are clubbed or shot and the males well, guess what part is cut off?

Now this has nothing to do with the ones in the water off the Newfoundland Coast. Thats' another ballgame with it's own special tactics.

So yeah my reason for saying this is that I am not humorless... it's me. I didn't laugh at your joke but it's me, not you.

I can usually find stuff that is funny in anything but once I get images in my head that don't leave like the bloodsoaked ice and the little poofy white carcases one on top of the other with the big black eyes that no longer have any life left im them except for the occassional one that is actually still breathing.....

It's me, not you.

I am not meaning to be all high and mighty or condescending. I just don't think it's funny at all and figured I'd explain why so if you or anyone wants to think I'm a humorless **** with a stick up my ass that is your call.

To me, I'm not.

It's just that it saddens me so.

Clip Clop my dearest one I'm thinking you might not have seen this part...

In addition to the scalloped hammerhead, the team found that the 32 samples identified as sharks included smooth hammerheads, school sharks, and spiny dogfish, which are all listed as Vulnerable to extinction; and other Near Threatened species such as bull and copper sharks.

I hope Rumor is okay Deb.

Last edited by my miss storm cat : 08-17-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:32 PM
The Curragh

Quote:

Clip Clop my dearest one I'm thinking you might not have seen this part...

In addition to the scalloped hammerhead, the team found that the 32 samples identified as sharks included smooth hammerheads, school sharks, and spiny dogfish, which are all listed as Vulnerable to extinction; and other Near Threatened species such as bull and copper sharks.

None from the Denver restaurants was my meaning. Not that it is OK, just a mention of the chart is all.
This is no place for any seafood let alone something so plain wrong.
Old 08-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Saratoga

Oh okay, got it!

I misunderstood. Sorry!
Old 08-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i can't stand seeing finning, and hope it gets stopped all over. it's a disgusting practice...and that's coming from someone who watches whale wars for the laughs (i think paul watson and his crew are the most inept boatsmen since gilligans island).

i've always loved (loved may sound odd, but i can't think of anything else that would describe it) sharks. great white's are without a doubt one of the most amazing animals ever. i hope to go out to cali, and go down in the shark cage and see them face to face. i can just imagine the adrenaline rush.
i've seen footage of finning-ugh. cut off the fins, and toss the living, and soon to be drowned shark back in. it's hideous. what a waste of a shark!! and all because some nimrods think it's an aphrodisiac. sharks by the thousands, killed. not for their meat-but for a couple pounds of fins. outrageous.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:12 PM
Flemington

Quote:

She's been moved to San Diego and now has a friend!

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...s-at-seaworld/ (unfortunately she'll be part of the Shamu show though)
Old 08-21-2012, 12:24 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:

~ Thomas Edison

~Albert Einstein
i WOULDNT EAT ANYTHING SHARK.....even if free....some really great places on the Houston list though.
Old 08-21-2012, 01:15 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
She's been moved to San Diego and now has a friend!

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/...s-at-seaworld/ (unfortunately she'll be part of the Shamu show though)
Oh well at least she won't be alone so I guess we need to appreciate the positives!

Thanks for the update.I hadn't seen it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by santana View Post
i WOULDNT EAT ANYTHING SHARK.....even if free....some really great places on the Houston list though.
That is awesome, you are awesome and even though I'd sure they'd eat you in a sec I'd think they'd want to thank you for saying what you did!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
i've seen footage of finning-ugh. cut off the fins, and toss the living, and soon to be drowned shark back in. it's hideous.
It's beyond sick.

Some people have no soul. I don't get it.