Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
I actually do all of my shopping at Whole Foods. But I always buy stuff that is already cooked. I don't know why but they never have grass-fed beef in the part of the store where they have the cooked food. They only have it in the butcher's department.

Would you say the grass-fed beef tastes much better?
It's a lot leaner, so if you are used to fatty red meat, you might take awhile getting used to it.

Otherwise, it's sweet. Literally.

Here is a great source of grassfed meat. It's called North Star Bison and can be found at northstarbison.com

the bison are basically free ranged over zillions of wild acres in Wisconsin, and are not fussed with. The prices are less than most sources of bison, it's cleaner than other sources of bison, and the shipping (at least it used to be) is ridiculously affordable. I used to get 50 lbs of bison shipped over night for a mere $20 shipping charge.

Since taking up hunting and knowing lots of grass feeding ranchers around here, I do not need to order from them, but lots of people in LA do just that. While I still lived there, most of the people I knew considered that the best place to get grassfed meat.

That was like ten years ago, so I'm sure there are plenty of options now.

That website does offer other meats now, if you order stuff from them, let me know how your experience goes.

Another great resource is eatwild...

http://www.eatwild.com/index.html
Old 04-28-2012, 09:37 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
I only eat grass-fed, for more reasons than just my own health.
Are you still in Virginia?

Instead of getting ripped off at WF, why not check that eatwild website and form relationships directly with the producer? It's a much better experience, and certainly much cheaper.

Every year I get a small group of friends together and buy an entire cow/steer. Usually either Angus or Hereford breed. By the time all is said and done, I'm paying about 4.50 to 5.00 a lb (meat, slaughter, butchering, packaging), and that's for everything! From ground and stew meat up to porterhouse, ribeye and more.

It's probably more where you live, but if you learn to look for farmers that raise food, you'd be surprised what you can come up with.

I LOVE stopping at some house/farm that has cows grazing on their property, and shooting the shiit with the farmer. I've made some great connections that way.

Anyways, get yourself a drop down chest style freezer, organize a small buying group and enjoy great and affordable meat all year long.

You'd be surprised how little space it takes up too. You can get about 25 lbs of frozen meat into one of those old style paper shopping bags you used to get at the super market.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:46 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post

Instead of getting ripped off at WF, why not check that eatwild website and form relationships directly with the producer? It's a much better experience, and certainly much cheaper.

Every year I get a small group of friends together and buy an entire cow/steer. Usually either Angus or Hereford breed. By the time all is said and done, I'm paying about 4.50 to 5.00 a lb (meat, slaughter, butchering, packaging), and that's for everything! From ground and stew meat up to porterhouse, ribeye and more.

It's probably more where you live, but if you learn to look for farmers that raise food, you'd be surprised what you can come up with.

I LOVE stopping at some house/farm that has cows grazing on their property, and shooting the shiit with the farmer. I've made some great connections that way.

Anyways, get yourself a drop down chest style freezer, organize a small buying group and enjoy great and affordable meat all year long.

You'd be surprised how little space it takes up too. You can get about 25 lbs of frozen meat into one of those old style paper shopping bags you used to get at the super market.
sightypoo is perky
Old 04-28-2012, 09:47 PM
Flemington

Quote:

About the only thing I've found decent in Virginia is that there are some really great farms that raise their cattle and chickens by pasture and free-range (one of them was that guy in Food, Inc. http://www.relayfoods.com/Catalog?ve...=PFR&ref=thumb). I'm just really bad at planning my groceries ahead of time...

There is a company that started up in the Richmond/Charlottesville area that seems interesting -- they are trying to become the one source where the local farms can sell their foods and people can either pick them up at one place or have them delivered. http://www.relayfoods.com/About/Overview
Old 04-28-2012, 09:48 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2 View Post
sightypoo is perky
Old 04-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
About the only thing I've found decent in Virginia is that there are some really great farms that raise their cattle and chickens by pasture and free-range (one of them was that guy in Food, Inc. http://www.relayfoods.com/Catalog?ve...=PFR&ref=thumb). I'm just really bad at planning my groceries ahead of time...

There is a company that started up in the Richmond/Charlottesville area that seems interesting -- they are trying to become the one source where the local farms can sell their foods and people can either pick them up at one place or have them delivered. http://www.relayfoods.com/About/Overview
Grocery shopping for me is pretty easy. I'm all about simplicity.

My typical week of food consists of venison I got myself, local pork, local beef and seafood. Lately I've been getting super fresh scallops for $3.95 a pound, mussels for $2.50 a pound, oysters from 42 to 65 cents each, monkfish, sockeye salmon from Alaska, etc, at least three times a week. Of all of that, only the sockeye is not local. OH, I still have that wild shrimp in the freezer, that I paid $1 a pound for.

I go to the supermarket for bananas. Gotta have my cheap potassium.

I get raw goat milk and chicken eggs down the street, but now that I have geese, ducks and chickens, it won't be too long before I never have to buy eggs.

Veggies? I think you get more bang for your buck, both caloric and nutrient wise, from good meat, but when I want veggies, I go to the farmers market, or join a CSA.

It's pretty easy!!!!
Old 04-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Grocery shopping for me is pretty easy. I'm all about simplicity.

My typical week of food consists of venison I got myself, local pork, local beef and seafood. Lately I've been getting super fresh scallops for $3.95 a pound, mussels for $2.50 a pound, oysters from 42 to 65 cents each, monkfish, sockeye salmon from Alaska, etc, at least three times a week. Of all of that, only the sockeye is not local. OH, I still have that wild shrimp in the freezer, that I paid $1 a pound for.

I go to the supermarket for bananas. Gotta have my cheap potassium.

I get raw goat milk and chicken eggs down the street, but now that I have geese, ducks and chickens, it won't be too long before I never have to buy eggs.

Veggies? I think you get more bang for your buck, both caloric and nutrient wise, from good meat, but when I want veggies, I go to the farmers market, or join a CSA.

It's pretty easy!!!!
I love scallops!!! I do the banana thing too. Do you eat any kind of wheat?

I read in one of those Natural Health magazines a few months ago that Maine was one of the best states about eating local. ME, along with CA and NH, have great companies for cosmetics/personal care too.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
It definitely has more flavor. I buy their prepared foods alot too, but it seems like they cater to the general american's menu (at least my store does) than showing off some of their healthier items. I LOVE the butternut squash dishes and mashed cauliflower though.
I get the butternut squash and kale all the time.
Old 04-28-2012, 10:56 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
It's a lot leaner, so if you are used to fatty red meat, you might take awhile getting used to it.

Otherwise, it's sweet. Literally.

Here is a great source of grassfed meat. It's called North Star Bison and can be found at northstarbison.com

the bison are basically free ranged over zillions of wild acres in Wisconsin, and are not fussed with. The prices are less than most sources of bison, it's cleaner than other sources of bison, and the shipping (at least it used to be) is ridiculously affordable. I used to get 50 lbs of bison shipped over night for a mere $20 shipping charge.

Since taking up hunting and knowing lots of grass feeding ranchers around here, I do not need to order from them, but lots of people in LA do just that. While I still lived there, most of the people I knew considered that the best place to get grassfed meat.

That was like ten years ago, so I'm sure there are plenty of options now.

That website does offer other meats now, if you order stuff from them, let me know how your experience goes.

Another great resource is eatwild...

http://www.eatwild.com/index.html
Thanks for the info. I probably wouldn't order it right now because I rarely eat red meat and I don't like to cook. If I ever did decide to start eating grass-fed beef once every few months, wouldn't it just be better for me to get it at Whole Foods? I would think it would only make sense to order it on-line if you were ordering in bulk.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:09 PM
Goodwood

Quote:

I read in one of those Natural Health magazines a few months ago that Maine was one of the best states about eating local. ME, along with CA and NH, have great companies for cosmetics/personal care too.
Yeah, I make my own bread using unbleached, unbromated (horrible stuff, bromine) organic wheat.

I don't eat tons of it. Most grain I eat is either quinoa or millet.

I've been phenomenally lucky that the two states I've lived in, and the state I work in, are ME, CA and NH.

NH is trying to destroy itself in this area though.

There is a goat farm in NH that makes great goat milk soap, and other products, that I like to shop at. They ship too, if you are interested.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Goodwood

Quote:

Oh yeah, if you ever go visit your sistah in Maine, I can hook you up with great seafood sources. Scallops at 3.95 is insane.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:12 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I probably wouldn't order it right now because I rarely eat red meat and I don't like to cook. If I ever did decide to start eating grass-fed beef once every few months, wouldn't it just be better for me to get it at Whole Foods? I would think it would only make sense to order it on-line if you were ordering in bulk.
I rarely cook my meat! If you like sushi..........

As for ordering online vs getting it at WF? That's your choice, but why not get 20 lbs of various cuts, frozen, and see how that works for you over a few months?
Old 04-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Ornish's study has been thoroughly debunked.
There have obviously been a lot of studies that contradict each other. I don't doubt that you have seen evidence that you think debunks Ornish's work. But I think there have been a ton of studies that confirm his work. I have never heard that his worked was debunked. I don't think mainstream medicine considers his work debunked (not that mainstream medicine is always right). Ornish is world renowned.

Let's take a guy like Bob Baffert. He eats practically nothing but red meat. He had a heart attack. After he had the stents put in, the first thing the doctor told him was to cut way down on his red meat intake. He told him not to eat red meat more than twice a month.

As you said, there are other factors. It depends whether the red meat is grass-fed or not. But overall I think that most doctors would agree that for someone in Baffert's situation, they should undoubtedly cut down on meat and fried foods and eat more fruits and vegetables.

I don't think you can go wrong eating a lot of fruits and vegetables along with a little bit of fish (and occasionally some chicken or fish).

Look at Bill Clinton. He had a terrible diet and he had to keep having heart procedures. He finally became a 95% vegan (he eats fish twice a week). He is doing great now. Do you think he is making a mistake being on this new diet? I don't. I think this new diet will save his life.

By the way, Ornish is one of Clinton's doctors.

[Clinton says he was inspired to follow a low-fat, plant-based diet by several doctors, including Dean Ornish, author of Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease. Ornish has been working with Clinton as one of his consulting physicians since 1993."

After Clinton's angioplasty and stents in 2010, Ornish says he contacted the former president "and I indicated that the moderate diet and lifestyle changes he'd made didn't go far enough to prevent his heart disease from progressing, but our research proved that more intensive changes could actually reverse it," he says.]

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness...ory/50111212/1

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 04-29-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Oh yeah, if you ever go visit your sistah in Maine, I can hook you up with great seafood sources. Scallops at 3.95 is insane.
She already left! She's such a weirdo she didn't like it.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
There have obviously been a lot of studies that contradict each other. I don't doubt that you have seen evidence that you think debunks Ornish's work. But I think there have been a ton of studies that confirm his work. I have never heard that his worked was debunked. I don't think mainstream medicine considers his work debunked (not that mainstream medicine is always right). Ornish is world renowned.

Let's take a guy like Bob Baffert. He eats practically nothing but red meat. He had a heart attack. After he had the stents put in, the first thing the doctor told him was to cut way down on his red meat intake. He told him not to eat red meat more than twice a month.

As you said, there are other factors. It depends whether the red meat is grass-fed or not. But overall I think that most doctors would agree that for someone in Baffert's situation, they should undoubtedly cut down on meat and fried foods and eat more fruits and vegetables.

I don't think you can go wrong eating a lot of fruits and vegetables along with a little bit of fish (and occasionally some chicken or fish).

Look at Bill Clinton. He had a terrible diet and he had to keep having heart procedures. He finally became a 95% vegan (he eats fish twice a week). He is doing great now. Do you think he is making a mistake being on this new diet? I don't. I think this new diet will save his life.

By the way, Ornish is one of Clinton's doctors.

[Clinton says he was inspired to follow a low-fat, plant-based diet by several doctors, including Dean Ornish, author of Dr. Dean Ornish's Program for Reversing Heart Disease. Ornish has been working with Clinton as one of his consulting physicians since 1993."

After Clinton's angioplasty and stents in 2010, Ornish says he contacted the former president "and I indicated that the moderate diet and lifestyle changes he'd made didn't go far enough to prevent his heart disease from progressing, but our research proved that more intensive changes could actually reverse it," he says.]

http://yourlife.usatoday.com/fitness...ory/50111212/1
Commercially raised meats are garbage. Thus, any study comparing the health effects of meats to a vegetable based diet, if based on very typical meats, is meaningless.

Properly raised meats are, in fact, a health food. Feed lot meat is worse than eating garbage.

Doctors are almost always wrong when it comes to dietary issues, as their training in medical school 1. includes next to nothing about nutrition and 2. what little they are given comes from biased sources, mainly from bogus studies.

One thing most people fail to consider about vegetarianism, or a mostly plant based diet.

There are crucial fat soluble vitamins that are next to impossible to get from plants. Vitamin D (I know, not really a vitamin), PREFORMED vitamin A (carotenes are not efficiently converted to vitamin A), and K (unless you like grazing on fresh grasses).

These nutrients are badly lacking in the American diet and the best source for them is grass fed meats and dairy. I am talking about food sources, as obviously you can make your own vitamin D.

Also, some of the B vitamins are difficult to obtain from plants.

I LOVE that people who eat primarily veggies often end up taking nutritional yeast to get B12. What most people don't realize is that B12 is added to yeast.

Yet another thing to consider...

Almost all plants are grown in soils that have become badly depleted in important minerals. You might think by choosing organic veggies that you are getting sufficient minerals, but the sad truth is, even organic veggies are badly under mineralized.

So, you need to eat A LOT of them to get anywhere near the minerals you need. The flip side of this is that most plants produce some sort of chemical defenses, than in small amounts are very beneficial to our health, but in larger amounts are toxic.

Then again, most plants that we eat have been selectively bred for a long time to minimize these substances. Notice how few people enjoy eating bitter plants anymore?

Me? I love ocean veggies, like kelp, dulse, etc. Absolutely loaded with minerals, and no toxic issues. I also like to collect wild plants and mushrooms, but that is not really feasible for most people.

I know I mentioned this book in a previous post, but I really think you would find this book interesting. At least look at it's product page on Amazon, read what it is about, and maybe read some of the user reviews. It's well written and loaded with lot's of really interesting information, and many delicious and easy recipes.

http://www.amazon.com/Nourishing-Tra...5712024&sr=8-1

Like any topic that tends to draw the zealot like types, one needs to keep an open perspective about these things. If you see any reviews that might be over the top (not saying that there are any for sure), take them with a grain of salt.

It's a wonderful book that could potentially let you see things in a different light.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:11 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
She already left! She's such a weirdo she didn't like it.
Woah, that was quick. Did you ever get to visit her?
Old 04-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Woah, that was quick. Did you ever get to visit her?
Nope.

Regarding your post above -- if you just look at most vegitarians, there skin and hair are often dull and a sign that they are missing vital nutrients in their diet. The same can be said of those eating highly processed meals...
Old 04-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I actually do all of my shopping at Whole Foods. But I always buy stuff that is already cooked.
Must be nice, they don't call it The Whole Paycheck for nothing.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I rarely cook my meat! If you like sushi..........

As for ordering online vs getting it at WF? That's your choice, but why not get 20 lbs of various cuts, frozen, and see how that works for you over a few months?
You eat raw beef and pork??
Old 04-29-2012, 02:59 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herkhorse View Post
You eat raw beef and pork??
And raw eggs.