Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-02-2006, 10:45 AM
Saratoga

Default The Nassau Stakes

Saturday August 5 2006
Goodwood 14:30
Vodafone Nassau Stakes (Fillies' Group 1)
£200000.00 added, 3yo plus, 1m 2f, Class 1
13 runners

Alexander Goldrun (IRE) 35 5 9-5 J S Bolger 116
Chelsea Rose (IRE) 35 4 9-5 C Collins 113
Echelon 45 4 9-5 Sir Michael Stoute R L Moore 109
Mango Mischief (IRE) 47 5 9-5 J L Dunlop 105
Ouija Board 28 5 9-5 E A L Dunlop L Dettori 120
Red Bloom 35 5 9-5 Sir Michael Stoute 110
Tropical Lady (IRE) 35 6 9-5 J S Bolger 110
Nannina 24 3 8-10 J H M Gosden J Fortune 117
Nasheej (USA) 24 3 8-10 R Hannon 111
Princess Nada 28 3 8-10 L M Cumani 101
Race For The Stars (USA) 43 3 8-10 A P O'Brien 110
Rajeem 24 3 8-10 C E Brittain 113
Reunite (IRE) 18 3 8-10 Saeed bin Suroor 107

What a lovely field.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:49 AM
top predator.

how many starts has ouijia board had this year!?! that mare sure earns her keep
Old 08-02-2006, 10:54 AM
Saratoga

The Sheema Classic, The QE II Cup, The Coronation Cup, the Prince of Wales's Stakes and the Coral-Eclipse.....

She's some girl.
Old 08-03-2006, 01:25 PM
Saratoga

The field.....

Saturday August 5 2006
Goodwood 14:30
Vodafone Nassau Stakes (fillies' Group 1)
£200000.00 added, 3yo plus, 1m 1f 192y, Class 1, £113560.00 penalty

1 (5) 388-521 Alexander Goldrun (IRE) 35 5 9-5 J S Bolger K J Manning 116 SP
SP SP
2 (1) 143-422 Chelsea Rose (IRE) 35 4 9-5 C Collins P Shanahan 113 SP
SP SP
3 (3) 141-112 Echelon 45 4 9-5 Sir Michael Stoute K Darley 109 SP
SP SP
4 (7) 1-43215 Ouija Board 28 5 9-5 E A L Dunlop L Dettori 120 SP
SP SP
5 (4) 311-012 Nannina 24 3 8-10 J H M Gosden J Fortune 117 SP
SP SP
6 (6) 3-13035 Nasheej (USA) 24 3 8-10 R Hannon R L Moore 111 SP
SP SP
7 (2) 911-844 Race For The Stars (USA) 43 3 8-10 A P O'Brien M J Kinane 110

Nasheej for the upset?
Old 08-04-2006, 02:40 AM
Saratoga

A related story From Racing Post...

Nannina may forfeit Coronation crown following drugs test

by Rodney Masters

NANNINA (pic right) is likely to be stripped of her victory in the Group 1 Coronation Stakes at Royal Ascot for failing a drugs test, it was revealed on Thursday.

Trainer John Gosden and owners Cheveley Park Stud are awaiting the result of a secondary analysis - to be carried out at a laboratory overseas - but should that also return positive, their filly will almost certainly forfeit the race and its first prize of more than £150,000.

David and Patricia Thompson, who own Cheveley Park Stud in Newmarket, were understandably "shocked" after they received notification of the test on their homebred filly from the Horseracing Regulatory Authority.

They have ten other horses in training with Gosden at Clarehaven Stables in Newmarket.

In January this year, Gosden was fined £700 by the HRA's disciplinary panel after a positive test was returned by Mystical Land after he had landed a conditions stakes at Nottingham the previous August. A urine sample was found to contain the prohibitive substances phenylbutazone and oxyphenbutazone.

At that inquiry, the panel informed Gosden that all the horses in his care would be the subject of examination and the taking of samples for analysis provided for in Rule 237 for the next 12 months.

Rule 237 allows entry to the stables for authorised people to take samples from horses for subsequent analysis, and also the same for feed and feed additives. In addition, they can carry out identification and vaccination checks, and take copies of records of treatments.

In 2002, Gosden appeared before the disciplinary panel after Social Order tested positive following an unplaced run in a maiden at Ayr. On that occasion, the urine was found to contain procaine, another prohibited substance. He was fined £600. Nannina was a top class juvenile last year, when her three wins included the Group 1 Fillies' Mile. She was third favourite for the 1,000 Guineas in May, but she was unsuited by the soft ground and beat one rival. It was a different story in the Coronation Stakes last month, when she returned to her best to beat Mick Channon's Flashy Wings by two lengths.

That success continued a rewarding sequence for her owner-breeders, whose Confidential Lady, trained by Sir Mark Prescott, had won the French Oaks just 12 days earlier. At Royal Ascot, Cheveley Park also won the Royal Hunt Cup with Cesare, trained by James Fanshawe.

Following her Royal Ascot win, Nannina was sent off favourite for the Group 1 Falmouth Stakes at Newmarket, but she was beaten three-quarters of a length by Clive Brittain's 50-1 shot Rajeem.

The secondary test of the sample taken from the filly will be carried out in one of four overseas laboratories, in either France, Germany, Hong Kong or South Africa. It is not known what substance(s)Nannina has tested positive for in the initial analysis.

Chris Richardson, managing director of Cheveley Park Stud, said yesterday: "Mr and Mrs Thompson were shocked to receive notification of the positive test following the Coronation Stakes. It is too early to pass comment as tests relating to a well-established routine veterinary treatment are still on-going."
Old 08-05-2006, 04:46 AM
Churchill Downs

The old 'zero tolerance' rule strikes again. Honestly, 'trace' amounts are far below the theraputic level - they can have had no influence on the outcome of the race so are not the result of an attempt to cheat, which is what drug rules should be all about. Exactly the same case as Brass Hat in Dubai - each animal in question has a different rate of clearing traces from their systems and because these rates fall along a curve with a long tail, inevitably some will fall outside the vet's estimate - probably a Poisson distribution, maybe chi-squared?
Old 08-05-2006, 08:46 AM
Newmarket

Its Ouija Board by a nose over Alexander Goldrun. A fantastic stretch run!
Old 08-05-2006, 09:08 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Its Ouija Board by a nose over Alexander Goldrun. A fantastic stretch run!
A great, great finish once again.

An extraordinary girl..... champion of the world!

Good for her.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:24 AM
top predator.

that mare is on fire right now. Unbelievable, hope she has something left in the tank for Breeder's Cup day--I assume she's coming.
Old 08-05-2006, 09:35 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
that mare is on fire right now. Unbelievable, hope she has something left in the tank for Breeder's Cup day--I assume she's coming.
She's coming, and off to Hong Kong in December.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:09 AM
Newmarket

Whats so remarkable is how she campaigns all over, against the best, male and female, and usually comes up with a stirring performance. a true global superstar of racing.
Old 08-05-2006, 01:02 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedigree Ann
the vet's estimate - probably a Poisson distribution, maybe chi-squared?
Keep talking dirty to me. Man o man...
Old 08-05-2006, 09:07 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
Whats so remarkable is how she campaigns all over, against the best, male and female, and usually comes up with a stirring performance. a true global superstar of racing.
That was a hell of a tough win in the Nassau. Please rest her a bit. Good God.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:02 AM
Saratoga

Ouija Board update, from Sporting Life.....

CHAMPION OPTION FOR BRILLIANT BOARD
By Chris Wilson, PA Sport

Ouija Board could again lock horns with Alexander Goldrun in the Baileys Irish Champion Stakes at Leopardstown on September 9.

Ed Dunlop's five-year-old produced a performance of the highest order to defeat Jim Bolger's mare by the shortest of heads in a breathless finish to the Vodafone Nassau Stakes at Goodwood on Saturday.

The Breeders' Cup Filly & Mare Turf and the Hong Kong Vase at Sha Tin are likely to remain the long-term objectives for the six-time Group One winner.

However, Dunlop has not ruled out the possibility of Ouija Board making a return to competitive action in a month's time.

"It's early days but she will let me know if she needs a break, it's as simple as that," said the Newmarket-based handler.

"If she looks like she wants a break or we are not happy with her, we'll have a break.

"But first options would be the Irish Champion Stakes or the Prix Vermeille (over 12 furlongs at Longchamp on September 10).

"She has lost a normal amount of weight for a mare but has come out of the race well.

"There was no trouble with her overnight and she is sound.

"She's been out in the paddock on Sunday morning and seems fine so all's well that ends well."