Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2006, 04:39 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodwalker
Let me make sure and get it out now that Rising Cross will win the Beverly D as a 3 year old.

That little b it ch is a running fool, and quickens with the best of them. She ran into a monster in Alexandrova twice, and Tanaka now owns her and supplemented her late.

Rising Cross will be my play of the day though. Watch her Oaks run where she stumbles and almost falls in the stretch.

http://ukracing.net/index.php?option...d=18&Itemid=36
I saw it, too - she became unbalanced on the camber (the course slopes down from the outside rail to the inside), nearly lost her hind legs out from under her, recovered and kept running. A female Afleet Alex move.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:08 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Didn't Touch of Land get a crap trip in last years Million, or the year before?
touch of land 2005 with p val and 2003
Old 08-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Saratoga

From Racing Post....

(Oh, and I like Rising Cross a lot too).

Phoenix set for Arlington workout

by Neil Morrice

PHOENIX REACH will work on the Arlington Parkturf course on Thursday, when Andrew Balding gives the much-travelled six-year-old his final gallop before Saturday's Grade 1 Arlington Million.

Balding is currently at the Saratoga Sales but will travel to Chicago in time to supervise preparations for Martin Dwyer's mount.

The trainer said: "He's come out of quarantine and is looking really well in himself. I'm happy with the way he's travelled and we'll give him a blow out on Thursday morning."

Phoenix Reach numbers the 2003 Canadian International, 2004 Hong Kong Vase and 2005 Sheema Classic amongst his triumphs, to make him a rival to Ouija Board in terms of worldwide top-level success.

Phoenix Reach lost 50 per cent vision in his off-side eye after going down by three-quarters of a lengthto Mummify in the Singapore Airlines International Cup at Kranji 15 months ago and has nursed a leg injury since finishing tenth to Azamour in last year's King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes at Newbury.

Balding added: "It's difficult to win any race after a year's layoff, but we will give it out best shot. He seems to have coped with his blindness well, and it doesn't make any difference whether we are working him left or right-handed. He's a real professional who you should never underestimate."

Among Phoenix Reach's opponents in Saturday's 24th running of the Million will be the Aidan O'Brien-trained Ace and French-trained Touch Of Land. The former will be without the services of Kieren Fallon , who is barred from riding in Illinois, and O'Brien said on Sunday that jockey plans have still to be decided.

Primary, winner of the Group 3 Sandown Classic Trial and a Listed race at San Siro for William Haggas this year, is to partnered by Robbie Albarado in the Grade 1 Secretariat Stakes on the same card.

The colt impressed in a workout in Newmarket on Saturday and his trainer said: "He's in good shape and this race has been the plan for a while. It's the final leg of a triple crown series and, while we toyed with goingfor the Colonial Downs leg as well, it was a hell of a lot easier to fly direct to Chicago. The other race would have involved a five-hour truck drive from New York.

"The colt is in good shape and we decided to use a top American jockey. Robbie Albarado has abundant experience of Arlington."

John Best has arrived in the US to supervise the Beverly D preparation of his Vodafone Oaks runner-up and Irish Oaks third Rising Cross.

The trainer said of the Gary Tanaka-owned filly. "She's come out of the Irish Oaks better than most of her races and will hopefully put up a big show on Saturday. I have a slight concern that the extended one-mile-one-furlong might not be far enough, and I hope the ground is not too firm, as Martin Dwyer said it was plenty quick enough at the Curragh."

Rising Cross will return to Britain afterwards and Best added: "She is coming back to me. Mr Tanaka has no intention of moving her to the US full-time."