Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Saratoga

Default News from the gallops.....

From Racing Post...

Araafa shines on the gallops
by Tony Elves

ARAAFA was out on the watered gallop on Saturday morning as connections turn their thoughts to the Sussex Stakes at Goodwood on August 2, and the winner of the Irish 2,000 Guineas and St James’s Palace Stakes showed that he remains at the top of his game with another smooth performance on the home plains.

Alan Munro must relish the opportunity to team up with a colt that has firmly re-established him in the highest ranks of his profession and the Jeremy Noseda-trained colt looked class personified as he cruised up alongside his work companion.

The Mull of Kintyre colt just seems to go from strength to strength and further exciting times lie ahead for all.
Sixties Icon and Petrovich are another pair who should be making their own headlines in due course and they both moved easily as they swept past their lead in a separate piece of work.

Geoff Wragg was another to avail himself of the watered gallop to give Dragon Dancer, the best maiden in training, his latest spin, and the Vodafone Derby runner-up showed that he will soon be losing that tag when travelling strongly in company with his lead.

Ed Dunlop took to the usual venue of the Cambridge Road Polytrack with his workers where chief interest was the appearance of stable stalwart Court Masterpiece who travelled easily alongside Munaddam. High Command bowled alongside Tabadul and Song of Silence, and Bouboulina moved encouragingly in separate gallops.

Sir Michael Stoute had his team in action on the Long Hill Polytrack where Jeremygave a nice lead to Rohaani and Maraahel shared his chores with Papal Bull as they enjoyed an easy work.
Stage Gift was another not asked to pull too many strings this time and a similar order of the day was reserved for Rob Roy.
Askappears to have thrived since an easy success at Chepstow last time and went well with Great Hope and Tam Lin while Riyalma was another back on the gallops beat with her companion.

..... and from Godolphin, the Newmarket Heath gallops.....

FRIDAY, JULY 14TH 2006
Felicitous Chippenham Gallop - 4f
Perfectperformance Chippenham Gallop - 5f
Pictavia Chippenham Gallop - 6f

THURSDAY, JULY 13TH 2006
Faith And Reason Chippenham Gallop - 5f
Reunite S O'Gorman Chippenham Gallop - 5f
Old 07-17-2006, 02:25 AM
Saratoga

Godolphin gallops...

NEWMARKET HEATH
SATURDAY, JULY 15TH 2006
HORSE RIDER GALLOP COMMENT/PROVISIONAL PLANS

Byron Chippenham Gallop - 5f
Count Trevisio Chippenham Gallop - 5f Racing UK On Sky 432 Handicap Stakes, Newmarket
10f 3-y-o (July 21st)
Desert Authority Chippenham Gallop - 6f NGK Spark Plugs Maiden Stakes, Newmarket
8f 3-y-o (July 21st)
Electrocutionist Chippenham Gallop - 7f G1, King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes, Ascot
12f 3-y-o+ (July 29th)
Emirates Skyline Chippenham Gallop - 5f
Esquire Chippenham Gallop - 5f
Goodricke Chippenham Gallop - 5f
Mizzle Chippenham Gallop - 5f EBF Maiden Fillies' Stakes, Kempton Park
7f AWT 2-y-o fillies (July 19th)
Noble Gent Chippenham Gallop - 5f Racing UK On Sky 432 Handicap Stakes, Newmarket
10f 3-y-o (July 21st)
Pinson Chippenham Gallop - 6f
Windsor Knot Chippenham Gallop - 5f
Old 07-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Saratoga

From Racing Post...

Jeremy puts in the work ahead of possible Sussex bid
by Tony Elves

JEREMY proved a valuable member of Sir Michael Stoute’s Royal Ascot team when coming from behind to take the Group 3 Jersey Stakes by two lengths from Asset and, as attentions are turn to other objectives, it was time for some work on the watered gallop on Racecourse Side on Wednesday morning.

Maxine Cowdreywas given the leg up on the white-faced bay and he looked to be moving with plenty of purpose as he held the call in his work with Rohaani and Echelon.
The Danehill Dancer colt possesses the entry in the Sussex Stakes and that could well be his next port of call.

City of Troy has been absent from action since disappointing in the Dee Stakes at Chester in May but, not surprisingly, had the gears to finish on top in his spin with proven stayers Distinction and Cover Up but the confidence will have been boosted by this spin.

Stage Gift has been given a break since toying with the opposition in a mile and a quarter handicap at Epsom in June but enjoyed an easy work with Rob Roy who is also on the comeback trail after finishing sixth to Peeress in the Juddmonte Lockinge at Newbury at the end of May and both colt’s should be experiencing some sterner gallops action in coming weeks.
Luca Cumani was another visitor to the watered gallop where theprogressive Futun caught the eye when travelling nicely in his work with Cluster and one other.
Glistening was just edged out in the Duke of Edinburgh at Royal Ascot but there will be other days for him and he moved well in companywith the classy Vol de Nuit and lesser-light Terenzium.

Henry Cecil took to the Al Bahathri polytrack with his gallopers where Multidimensional looked in good order when travelling strong under Eddie Ahern in his exercise with Baradine.

Handset (Ted Durcan) is just starting to get his act together but looked the part as he moved well in his work flanked by Lady Lily (Jimmy Quinn) and an older lead horse.

Star Cluster has already proved a valuable contributor to the stable’s tally and the daughter of Observatory looked on good terms with herself when travelling nicely in company with Thumpers Dream.

The Godolphin gallops at Newmarket Heath.....

WEDNESDAY, JULY 19TH 2006
Electrocutionist L Dettori Watered Gallop - 7f G1, King George VI & Queen Elizabeth Diamond Stakes, Ascot
12f 3-y-o+ (July 29th)
Felicitous Chippenham Gallop - 5f

TUESDAY, JULY 18TH 2006
Blue Ksar Chippenham Gallop - 7f
Caradak Chippenham Gallop - 3f Lillian Summers Memorial Conditions Stakes, Newbury
7f 3-y-o+ (July 21st)
Guadalajara Chippenham Gallop - 5f Listed, VC Bet Aphrodite Stakes, Newmarket
12f 3-y-o+ fillies & mares (July 22nd)
Hunters' Glen K McEvoy Chippenham Gallop - 7f
Librettist Chippenham Gallop - 5f
Northern Splendour Chippenham Gallop - 5f
Perfectperformance Chippenham Gallop - 6f
Pictavia Chippenham Gallop - 5f Listed, VC Bet Aphrodite Stakes, Newmarket
12f 3-y-o+ fillies & mares (July 22nd)
Listed, David Wilson Homes Steventon Stakes, Newbury
10f 3-y-o+ (July 22nd)

MONDAY, JULY 17TH 2006
Belenus Chippenham Gallop - 7f
Cherry Mix Chippenham Gallop - 7f
Melrose Avenue Chippenham Gallop - 7f

SUNDAY, JULY 16TH 2006
Act Friendly Chippenham Gallop Transcend Bloodstock Maiden Stakes, Newcastle
10f 3&4-y-o (July 18th)
Ashaawes Chippenham Gallop - 5f Melton Mowbray Conditions Stakes, Leicester
10f 3-y-o (July 20th)
Dickensian Chippenham Gallop - 5f
Old 07-21-2006, 01:18 PM
Saratoga

From Racing Post...

Araafa sends out stern warning to Sussex rivals

by Tony Elves

ARAAFA sent out a stern warning to thosewishing to lock horns with him in the Group 1 Sussex Stakes at Goodwood on August 2 when putting in a scintillating piece of work on the July course in Newmarket on Friday.

The Jeremy Noseda-trained Irish 2,000 Guineas and St James’s Palace Stakes winner walked round calm and relaxed in the tree-sheltered pre-parade ring before joining up with Alan Munro, and he cantered down to the course to ready himself for his exercise over six and a half furlongs.

Sally Noseda ensured there was a decent paceon Araafa’s lead companion but entering the final two furlongs it was time for Munro to press the accelerator. The Mull Of Kintyre colt quickened majestically clear to finish about ten lengths ahead of his companion, in an effort that echoed his performance at Ascot. That run produced a Topspeed rating of 119, the best by any three-year-old over any trip so far this season.

Munro, who could not contain his enthusiasm, said: “That is as good as it gets - we didn’t go too quickly in the early stages but the work was excellent.

“He really is the complete article and goes on both extremes - he won the Irish Guineas on heavy and the Ascot race on fast ground and he’s an improver. “He is as good a horse as I have ridden and from a riding point of view he’s an attacker - when he goes there’s no hiding place for the horses behind him and he just wants to win.

“He’s very good on the big day and he bounced off that win in Ireland and won the St James’s Palace and is very impressive to ride as he has a lot of power and the will of the horse is amazing - I just hope I do him justice at Goodwood.”

The same exercise routine had been used a stepping stone to success in the Cantor Spreadfair-sponsored event for Noseda with Proclamation 12 months ago and the Newmarket trainer appeared as relaxed as his stable star after the exercise spin as his staff administered some cool splashes of water over the colt.

Noseda said: “That was everything you could ask for - it was beautiful ground which was ideal and think that work was worth three gallops at home and he will only need a blowout next week before the Sussex.

“Maybe I am being a bit superstitious but we did it last year and it worked and the trip away from home should ensure he’s not toosparky when he gets to Goodwood.

“That would have done his confidence the world of good, I’m happy and we go to the Sussex.”

Coral trimmed Araafa to 7-4 favourite (from 2-1) with Sovet Song their next best at 9-2 but the best backed horse by far on Friday was Jersey Stakes winner Jeremy.

Coral cut the Sir Michael Stoute-trained contender to 8-1 (from 10), William Hill went 13-2 (from 10) and Bet Direct 6-1 (from 10).