Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Trip Notes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2007, 10:37 AM
pgardn

Default Awesome Gambler

A delayed 3 yo blew by Cobalt Blue yesterday.
This horse appears to relax very nicely (I would even call it lazy) and is still green, but he made a very nice late stretch run in putting away Cobalt Blue. I like the way the horse responded when he figured out he was in a race. I expect we might see him in some of the bigger stakes races in the fall.
Looks like a big talented horse that lacks experience. If he learns to pick it up a bit early and straightens out those turns... Good looking horse. Big long strider in the stretch.

Might even be able to run well on the turf. Clearly has stamina.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:16 AM
Oaklawn

I think it was a looked better than it was based on the final 1/4 mile time. Just my take.
Old 05-27-2007, 11:56 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
A delayed 3 yo blew by Cobalt Blue yesterday.
This horse appears to relax very nicely (I would even call it lazy) and is still green, but he made a very nice late stretch run in putting away Cobalt Blue. I like the way the horse responded when he figured out he was in a race. I expect we might see him in some of the bigger stakes races in the fall.
Looks like a big talented horse that lacks experience. If he learns to pick it up a bit early and straightens out those turns... Good looking horse. Big long strider in the stretch.

Might even be able to run well on the turf. Clearly has stamina.
The hosts on tvg were talking Belmont after he won. I'm not sure if they were speculating themselves or if they were quoting the trainer. I can't recall the last horse to run in the Belmont off of a California prep let alone win it.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:35 PM
Newmarket

I also had a favorable impression of this horse. I think it was only his fourth start. He had to sweep very wide off the turn. He runs kinda like a gangly young colt but he waltzed right by Cobalt Blue. I don't know about the Belmont, that is rather soon. But with a little more improvement I can see this one in the picture going forward.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:57 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
I think it was a looked better than it was based on the final 1/4 mile time. Just my take.
No I think you are right. He looked unsure looking around all gangly, but once he got straightened out he just looks very good. Sort of a replay of his race before this without the wide trip. My impression is based more on potential. When I see a horse run fairly poorly yet still win easily. I realize the competition was not the best.

I did not see it on TVG but there is no way I would go to the Belmont. Just thought he might be a late developing 3 yo that might make some noise in the late summer/fall.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:31 PM
Randwyck

i made note of his performance....he looked very sharp
Old 05-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Thistley Downs

baby-sucking-thumb.jpg
Old 06-13-2007, 07:43 AM
Oriental Park

His loss