Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Trip Notes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2007, 04:49 PM
Jerome Park

Default Possibly Exciting 2YO

Booted, an AP Indy colt who is debuting in today's 4th at Hollywood for trainer Richard Mandella and is currently a very short price, may turn out to be a terrific horse. I am looking forward to his race in a couple of minutes.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:05 PM
Oaklawn

Ouch...a little green. Nice run by the 70-1 shot to win.
Old 05-20-2007, 05:45 PM
Randwyck

Andy, what did you think about his race? I'm sorry he lost the photo (actually, very disappointed), but it's pretty hard to win (I'd say nearly impossible) from 9 lengths out at 4 1/2 furlongs; I thought he ran great. I hope Mandella has better luck on the track with Booted than Mel Stute did with another B. Wayne Hughes fast 2 year old Indy, Malibu Moon.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Jerome Park

It's hard to win from that far back but the speed did totally collapse. He seemed a bit green, and I have no idea how fast the race was, but I imagine he'll be OK in his subsequent races.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:26 PM
Santa Anita

Don't forget, the race was run on fake dirt.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:48 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

Come on now, lets not talk about Booted, I gotta keep him all to myself.lol Poor thing he was all over the track, but have you checked out his works??? One fast Hot Rod to say the least and he is by AP Indy/Seeking the Gold mare so he should love it when he goes alittle farther. One more jump and he would have had the other horse. But I did have the exacta, cause I thought he might be comming late, Now if I could have been smart enough to have a WPS on the winner.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfectfan
Come on now, lets not talk about Booted, I gotta keep him all to myself.lol Poor thing he was all over the track, but have you checked out his works??? One fast Hot Rod to say the least and he is by AP Indy/Seeking the Gold mare so he should love it when he goes alittle farther. One more jump and he would have had the other horse. But I did have the exacta, cause I thought he might be comming late, Now if I could have been smart enough to have a WPS on the winner.
It's like buying a Porsche off the lot and it blows a tire a quarter mile down the road.

Good for him looking good when it doesn't matter.
Old 05-20-2007, 06:53 PM
5'8".. but all man!

A little green....and looked to have trouble with the lead switch which led to his bearing in during the stretch run. Once he switched over, he started moving really well.

Should be a good one though. Good learning experience today for him.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:09 PM
Goodwood

nice breeding on this one. the 2nd dam is out of dancealot, who produced bolger (by damascus), one of the better speed sires in california in years past, and tights, a very very nice nijinksky colt from the mid 80s.
Old 05-20-2007, 08:25 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

thanks andy hes one to keep an eye on
Old 05-20-2007, 09:19 PM
pgardn

Boy there was no doubt that was a two yo race. Horses were all over the place. The horse next in to Booted cleared out a couple of rivals.

Roller Derby.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Washington Park

Iv'e never been a fan of someone starting an AP Indy at 4 1/2 or early in there 2 yo season. I think it was Wesley Ward who started an AP Indy last year at Santa Anita going 2f. He was a pricey 2yo in training and never ran again. Booted must have been showing alot in his am activity for the trainer to start him off this early. Goood luck to the connections.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:24 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox
Iv'e never been a fan of someone starting an AP Indy at 4 1/2 or early in there 2 yo season.
Rags To Riches debuted at 4.5 furlongs----and ran remarkably well to be 4th with no other excuse at all....other than her insane placement due to pedigree and the fact that she caught a very fast race.

I expect marked improvement out of Booted.....to say the least.

He may not have the big-time distance pedigree on the bottom like R2R does---but, there's no way he doesn't go forward.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:40 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
He may not have the big-time distance pedigree on the bottom like R2R does---but, there's no way he doesn't go forward.
His pedigree on the bottom does actually indicate some stamina. Round Table, Roberto, and Seeking the Gold all had success at 10f on the track, and Seeking the Gold has sired some horses with impressive stamina (Dubai Millenium and even Jazil, for example).
Of course, you never know how these ones will turn out, but his pedigree seems to indicate that he will like longer distances quite a bit more......and not just because he is by AP Indy.
Old 05-20-2007, 10:45 PM
Flemington

I hear ya.

But R2R, to go along with A. P. Indy on the top, has a massive distance pedigree on the bottom. It's not just because her dam dropped Jazil---but her dam won the outright longest Graded Stake carded for 2-year-olds in this country...the 2nd dam is a KY Oaks winner as well.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:12 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS
I hear ya.

But R2R, to go along with A. P. Indy on the top, has a massive distance pedigree on the bottom. It's not just because her dam dropped Jazil---but her dam won the outright longest Graded Stake carded for 2-year-olds in this country...the 2nd dam is a KY Oaks winner as well.
No doubt. And the Oaks winning 2nd dam you speak of (Blush with Pride) was also a graded stakes winner at 11f.....which you don't see very often.
I think it is fair to say that both of these AP Indy's were bred for distance. The filly may very well demonstrate that again in less than three weeks.
Old 05-21-2007, 06:37 AM
Morris Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Booted, an AP Indy colt who is debuting in today's 4th at Hollywood for trainer Richard Mandella and is currently a very short price, may turn out to be a terrific horse. I am looking forward to his race in a couple of minutes.
Andy - Thanks for sharing. I think a lot of us would enjoy getting a heads-up when some of these promising two-year olds debut. I've noticed 1 the other day - Kris the Red. If you get a chance watch the replays on him. Very nice colt. (last race: 3rd at HOL on 5-16)

http://www.drf.com/drfPDFChartRacesI...=20070516&RN=3