Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Randwyck

Default Help with Preakness trip

I am thinking of going to the Preakness this year and I wanted to know the best place to sit and not pay a ton of money for the tickets.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:45 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava
I am thinking of going to the Preakness this year and I wanted to know the best place to sit and not pay a ton of money for the tickets.
Top of the Stretch.

Just don't take my seats
Old 03-22-2007, 03:59 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Infield.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Randwyck

Thanks Guys what do you think of the Standing room only tickets
Old 03-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Narragansett Park

Define " ton of money" for me.

I have purchased tickets off of Ebay two of the last three years. They were inside the grandstand, third floor owners boxes inside. I think I paid about $250 per seat.

As always, it all depends on your budget and what you want out of your day. If you don't mind 80,000 college students then the infield is ok for $50. If you just want to be able to be inside the building and watch TV, general admission is fine too. If you want to sit down, watch ebay for early tickets.

I, personally, think the worst seats are the Top of the Stretch bleachers. If you want to sit on aluminum in the hot sun or cold rain, then that's the way to go.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:08 PM
Les Bois

Go to the Pimlico website. Tickets are available. It's not sold out yet.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:14 PM
Randwyck

I am just looking to get in the and see the race for under 150 a ticket. So the general admission you cant see the track you have to watch it on a TV
Old 03-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lava
I am just looking to get in the and see the race for under 150 a ticket. So the general admission you cant see the track you have to watch it on a TV
We got something like Grandstand Apron seats for $95/ea.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:26 PM
Flemington

I started a thread looking for tips a few months back, hope it helps you too!

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8600
Old 03-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Randwyck

Thanks for the help guys
Old 03-23-2007, 09:51 AM
Narragansett Park

If you buy general admission, you can't get anywhere to see the track. The apron is nothing but seats just for that day so you have to have a seat ticket to get outside. Gen ad gets you access to the grandstand or clubhouse inside, and that's it.

If you decide to go, send me a message and I'll tell you a way to see the Preakness horses before anyone else does.....
Old 03-23-2007, 10:49 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

You should still be able to buy seats up until the Derby, then it starts to sell out.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:54 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech
Define " ton of money" for me.

I have purchased tickets off of Ebay two of the last three years. They were inside the grandstand, third floor owners boxes inside. I think I paid about $250 per seat.

As always, it all depends on your budget and what you want out of your day. If you don't mind 80,000 college students then the infield is ok for $50. If you just want to be able to be inside the building and watch TV, general admission is fine too. If you want to sit down, watch ebay for early tickets.

I, personally, think the worst seats are the Top of the Stretch bleachers. If you want to sit on aluminum in the hot sun or cold rain, then that's the way to go.
One man's trash is another's treasure, I guess. I love that section and sit there every year... in '05 the AA/Scrappy T incident was RIGHT in front of us. That was worth every penny!
Old 03-23-2007, 10:55 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
My apron level grandstand ticket was $90 last year. I sat in Section 47, which is near the 1/16th pole, if memory serves. For the price, it is terrible value, actually. You watch most of the race on the jumbotrons mounted in the infield.

The track is a dump, the food is barely edible (needs some Keeneland burgoo!),the area surrounding the track is a ghetto, and the transportation situation disintegrates every year (when you don't pay $60 for a 10 minute cab ride).

Can't figure why I go back every year.
I say the same thing... and then I realize all over again it's my favorite day of the year!
Old 03-23-2007, 11:40 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
I say the same thing... and then I realize all over again it's my favorite day of the year!
Better than a back to back Belmont and Meadowlands day?!

Hope you're good at giving directions/tips cause we're going to need them to get too and from the track that day!
Old 03-23-2007, 12:22 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek

Hope you're good at giving directions/tips cause we're going to need them to get too and from the track that day!
Are you talking about directions for the Preakness or Belmont? I've got awesome Preakness directions, but you've got to go early and have already purchased parking for them to be worth anything.....
Old 04-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Detroit Race Course

Here's the low down from a Pimlico regular:

Unless you bought top dollar seats--and I mean seats around the owners & trainers or in the tent, buy the absolute cheapest ticket possible that will get you outside onto the apron.

There is an area right on the finish line that is TOTALLY accessible to the public. It's the regular winner's circle that's on the apron. It's slightly raised above the ground, around 2 feet or so, and surrounded by a chain link fence. This gives it the appearance of being totally off-limits. Plus, it's right below the owners/trainers box.

The guards come by and clear the standing room area by the finish line around when the Sir Barton is run. I asked one of them where is the closest place I could stand and he pointed me to the old winner's circle. There were no crowds and it looked "private". You'll have the best view--a little above the crowd and RIGHT ON THE LINE.

And yes, top of the stretch is the WORST. You spend a ton of dough to sit in a crappy folding chair on the concrete. As the day goes on, it's mayhem and more than annoying. For parking, the neighborhood people "sell" spaces in their driveways and yards. For around $20, it's more than worth it....otherwise you walk miles. Food is AWFUL....again, the neighborhood people sell BBQ. Anything you bring in has to be in a clear cooler. No glass, no hard liquor. Check the Preakness website--they're really specific about it. But be sure to bring in anything you need to drink or eat. You DON'T want to eat Preakness food. And for betting, go straight to the automatic machines. Teller lines are around 20 minutes some times.
Old 04-08-2007, 09:29 AM
Thistley Downs

I would frankly like to hear more description on those steps and that townhouse....what they really look like....and if anyone actually lives in that one particular townhouse.
Old 04-08-2007, 12:21 PM
Detroit Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech
If you buy general admission, you can't get anywhere to see the track. The apron is nothing but seats just for that day so you have to have a seat ticket to get outside. Gen ad gets you access to the grandstand or clubhouse inside, and that's it.

If you decide to go, send me a message and I'll tell you a way to see the Preakness horses before anyone else does.....
Are you talking about Breakfast at Old Hilltop?

On Wed, Thurs and Fri before the Preakness, the public can go and watch the workouts from 6-9 am. They take small groups to the stakes barns and you can see horses and trainers. There's even free coffee and donuts.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:15 PM
Narragansett Park

The unfortunate part there is that the Preakness horses usually don't ship in to the stakes barn until a day or two before the race. So, there's really nothing to see.