Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Non-Thoroughbred Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Oh, who was watching E60??

me

My TV is usually only on sports channels... unless there is a good movie on!

What do you think Scav, we'd make a good couple?
Old 08-14-2008, 07:45 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
The fact that nobodys doing anything to change that (how hard could it be to make the jumps safer - so they either explode when a horse hits it or fall off like show jumping) is what really pisses me off.
Whoa - that's totally false

There have been massive changes in eventing over the last 20 years that have made the sport and jumps remarkably safer.

That includes eliminating and changing many of the types of jumps that induce rotational falls, adding frangable pins to the jumps, veterinary checks, course design, etc.

In fact, the eventing community just met in here Lexington the beginning of June to further discuss safety and make more changes.

Do you know what one of the biggest problems is compared to 20-30 years ago? Relatively inexperienced riders. Riders that have not grown up riding ponies bareback at a gallop with a halter in a field, riding to hounds as children or teenagers, riding cross-county (hacking and jumping for fun) as a kid and young adult for years, learning how to fall, learning how to ride at speed over terrain over solid fences.

Riders today ride in rings.

And horses that are being bought up to upper levels without years of experience at solid fences and riding cross-country (same thing - foxhunting, bashing around for fun over ditches and hedge fences and through fields, etc) behind them.

Or, horses simply not really having the scope to be at a level (most injuries and falls are happening at LOWER levels)

Look at the biographies: look at the ages of the riders, look at the horses and their experiences - NOT what it was 20-30 years ago.

The best eventers used to take years - years - to bring a horse up to Olympic capability. They would talk of a promising horse "maybe" being ready 6-8 years from now. And they would NOT put them there if they were indeed limited as to being a lower level horse.

Now anyone with enough money buys a horse, and a trainer, and goes for it.

The sport is trying to get more qualifications written into the rules (regarding advancing through levels) so people cannot readily put themselves and their horses at risk, but of course those very people are fighting it.

There's really alot going on, and has been. It's quite unfair and untrue to say, "nobody's doing anything to change that".
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 08-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Whoa - that's totally false

There have been massive changes in eventing over the last 20 years that have made the sport and jumps remarkably safer.

That includes eliminating and changing many of the types of jumps that induce rotational falls, adding frangable pins to the jumps, veterinary checks, course design, etc.

In fact, the eventing community just met in here Lexington the beginning of June to further discuss safety and make more changes.

Do you know what one of the biggest problems is compared to 20-30 years ago? Relatively inexperienced riders. Riders that have not grown up riding ponies bareback at a gallop with a halter in a field, riding to hounds as children or teenagers, riding cross-county (hacking and jumping for fun) as a kid and young adult for years, learning how to fall, learning how to ride at speed over terrain over solid fences.

Riders today ride in rings.

And horses that are being bought up to upper levels without years of experience at solid fences and riding cross-country (same thing - foxhunting, bashing around for fun over ditches and hedge fences and through fields, etc) behind them.

Or, horses simply not really having the scope to be at a level (most injuries and falls are happening at LOWER levels)

Look at the biographies: look at the ages of the riders, look at the horses and their experiences - NOT what it was 20-30 years ago.

The best eventers used to take years - years - to bring a horse up to Olympic capability. They would talk of a promising horse "maybe" being ready 6-8 years from now. And they would NOT put them there if they were indeed limited as to being a lower level horse.

Now anyone with enough money buys a horse, and a trainer, and goes for it.

The sport is trying to get more qualifications written into the rules (regarding advancing through levels) so people cannot readily put themselves and their horses at risk, but of course those very people are fighting it.

There's really alot going on, and has been. It's quite unfair and untrue to say, "nobody's doing anything to change that".
Great post, Riot.
Old 08-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Jerome Park

The special on ESPN portreyed eventing in a totally different way. Its not like the deaths and injuries are not happening at the top level. This years Rolex was horrific. Ya'll can say whatever you want, I'm just saying, if I ever have a daughter.. the only way she'd get involved in Eventing is over my dead body.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/135159.html

http://hitsusa.com/blog/330/horse-jumping-death/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...try-event.html

these are just some of the top articles that come up when you search for "horse eventing death" on Google. All considered very good event riders.. I didnt keep clicking too depressing.

I could go on and on with the articles. **** that ****.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Jerome Park

And the reason they met over "safety concerns" in June is because of all these deaths.. and many event riders were seriously pissed that the courses have become much more DIFFICULT, not safer. There is a 0% chance this sport is "safer" now than 3 years ago. Its much more dangerous. They are expected to go over the same amount of jumps, with half as much course. No F-in way it is safer.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
The special on ESPN portreyed eventing in a totally different way. Its not like the deaths and injuries are not happening at the top level. This years Rolex was horrific. Ya'll can say whatever you want, I'm just saying, if I ever have a daughter.. the only way she'd get involved in Eventing is over my dead body.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/news/397/135159.html

http://hitsusa.com/blog/330/horse-jumping-death/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...try-event.html

these are just some of the top articles that come up when you search for "horse eventing death" on Google. All considered very good event riders.. I didnt keep clicking too depressing.

I could go on and on with the articles. **** that ****.

You sound exactly like the people that have no direct contact with horse racing, but read articles and have thus determined that TB horse racing is a horribly abusive bloodbath industry that exploits and kills horses for money every day.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 08-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Jerome Park

14 people dying is 14 people dying no matter how you look at it.

My good friend in Ireland grew up around horses, loved fox hunting. she broke her back a couple years back.

Like I said before, my friend from college was a top show jump rider, she's paralyzed from the waist down.

I know it sounds horribly insensitive, but if it was 14 horse deaths it really wouldn't bother me. But 14 people is a different story for me.

I'm not calling for this sport to end by no means. I just think it would be insanely irresponsible for a parent to let their child get involved in eventing.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:47 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
14 people dying is 14 people dying no matter how you look at it.

I'm not calling for this sport to end by no means. I just think it would be insanely irresponsible for a parent to let their child get involved in eventing.
Or serious Little League baseball as a pitcher? Football? Gymnastics? Swimming? Skateboarding? Skiing? Motocross? Let a 12-year-old drive an ATV? (which I think is a national sport in Kentucky)

Obviously some sports have markedly more physical danger than others, riding horses certainly is one of them.

But - many parents haven't got a clue what's going on. Susie is 10, and this week after watching equestrian on TV, tells Mom and Dad she loves horses, and wants to, "grow up to be an Olympic rider".

Dad has lots of money, so next week Susie is at her first riding lesson, two months from now Susie owns a horse, and three years from now Susie is competing with two very fancy new horses at a level that she really has been rushed to.

If her first trainer was sensible and old school - and doesn't let Susie ride over her head or her horses abilities - the parents yank the kid from that trainer, complain they've wasted $500,000, and go to another trainer willing to say, "No problem! We'll put you on the national scene and Susie will win!"

That's an accident certainly waiting to happen. No letting Susie's natural "talent" and years of practice as a rider dictate if she's top caliber - you can buy your way into it.

It's not just the essential inherent nature of the sport, to which yes, danger is a concern - it's also the people participating, and perhaps to a far greater extent, as they control the rules of the sport. What happened to roads and tracks? Steeplechase? Why won't they pass more restrictive qualifying initiatives?

Because people want it now, and they feel they "deserve" to compete at certain levels, whether they or their horse are fully prepared for it or not. Not earn it by ability and years of work. And no matter how many safety initiatives happen in the sport (helmets, vests, vet checks, changing jumps, etc) humans will still be there.
Old 08-15-2008, 08:35 AM
Flemington

Good posts Riot.

I didn't see the pre-qual and Oxygen only showed part of the Individuals yesterday, but did anyone else fall in love with Ravel? What a beauty! I wish I got a chance to see more of the dressage, but Show Jumping is tonight!
Old 08-15-2008, 08:47 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Or serious Little League baseball as a pitcher? Football? Gymnastics? Swimming? Skateboarding? Skiing? Motocross? Let a 12-year-old drive an ATV? (which I think is a national sport in Kentucky)

Obviously some sports have markedly more physical danger than others, riding horses certainly is one of them.

But - many parents haven't got a clue what's going on. Susie is 10, and this week after watching equestrian on TV, tells Mom and Dad she loves horses, and wants to, "grow up to be an Olympic rider".

Dad has lots of money, so next week Susie is at her first riding lesson, two months from now Susie owns a horse, and three years from now Susie is competing with two very fancy new horses at a level that she really has been rushed to.

If her first trainer was sensible and old school - and doesn't let Susie ride over her head or her horses abilities - the parents yank the kid from that trainer, complain they've wasted $500,000, and go to another trainer willing to say, "No problem! We'll put you on the national scene and Susie will win!"

That's an accident certainly waiting to happen. No letting Susie's natural "talent" and years of practice as a rider dictate if she's top caliber - you can buy your way into it.

It's not just the essential inherent nature of the sport, to which yes, danger is a concern - it's also the people participating, and perhaps to a far greater extent, as they control the rules of the sport. What happened to roads and tracks? Steeplechase? Why won't they pass more restrictive qualifying initiatives?

Because people want it now, and they feel they "deserve" to compete at certain levels, whether they or their horse are fully prepared for it or not. Not earn it by ability and years of work. And no matter how many safety initiatives happen in the sport (helmets, vests, vet checks, changing jumps, etc) humans will still be there.

good post can't argue that! You would think a parent would want to be well informed especially when dealing with a sport where one error could end your life (obviously worst case scenerio).

I just know I'm going to be really protective of my babies LOL.. Heck NO to the ATVs or motorcross... no dirt bikes or motorcycles! That is way more dangerous than horses.... know a few friends that lost younger brothers to 4 wheel accidents.

But I also feel that it should be illegal for people with children (especially young children) to ride motorcycles... so many people die from those accidents... your chance of survival is so small and even if you are a real careful driver... anything can happen. You cant risk not being there for your children! And I also think women who smoke cig's or drink when they are pregnant should go to jail. So I have some extreme views when it comes to some things! Just protective I guess!
Old 08-15-2008, 10:04 AM
Flemington

I think Uncly is going to wrap her kids in pillows before sending them outdoors.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:25 AM
Jerome Park

No drivers license till 18 also!! LOL... You should see how worried I get just about my dog, Bugsy, right now... I'm scared to see how I'll be as a parent!
Old 08-15-2008, 02:18 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Good posts Riot.

I didn't see the pre-qual and Oxygen only showed part of the Individuals yesterday, but did anyone else fall in love with Ravel? What a beauty! I wish I got a chance to see more of the dressage, but Show Jumping is tonight!
Yes...ohhhh, ahhhh, Ravel was beautiful and did so well for his first time big int'l competition. I didn't catch all of it either. I wish oxygen would put them on first like they did in the beginning.

Trusty....I feel for you....are you going to let your kids out of the house at all?????
What about public school...yikes!!!

I see your points, but mostly agree with Riot. Geez, you can just let your kid out to play and something bad might happen. But as always in sports changes do need to be made to protect both the animal and the human.
Did you see the guy that broke his arm weightlifting...gross!!

Now the 4 wheelers...yup got to get these kids off of them. I call the sheriff dept about once a week to come get these kids recklessly FLYING up and down the road and tearing up people's private property. The odd thing is the parents are the ones that let them do it and think I'm a bi-otch for complaing, although I am a bi-otch...
But then again the parents I speak of well...their family tree is really just a stump in the ground..living by rednecks don't ya know...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:28 AM
Flemington

Cedric was awesome!!!

USA Team Gold in Jumping.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Cedric was awesome!!!

USA Team Gold in Jumping.
Amen! I love Laura Kraut... and have almost all of her horses as well as some of Beeze Maddens! (I think Cedric is the one I dont have LOL)
Old 08-19-2008, 01:44 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Amen! I love Laura Kraut... and have almost all of her horses as well as some of Beeze Maddens! (I think Cedric is the one I dont have LOL)
That is so awesome!

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but will any of the results affect their policies?
Old 08-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
That is so awesome!

I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, but will any of the results affect their policies?

I'm sure, with an Olympic Gold, the horses value could increase if the Insured requested.