Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Non-Thoroughbred Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Fairgrounds

Default Former racehorses in the Olympics at SHA TIN!!!

You should love that MMSC!!!

2 former US racehorses and 1st time competeing for China an ex Hong Kong racehorse.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/nat...-Olympics.aspx

http://useventing.com/competitions.php?id=1571
Old 08-08-2008, 01:34 PM
Flemington

Here is the full television schedule:

The equestrian television coverage schedule is as follows:

Date: Program-Time (EST) on Channel
Aug. 9: Eventing: Dressage-2:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. on USA
Aug. 11: Eventing: Cross- Country- 6:00pm-8:00pm OXYGEN
Aug. 12: Eventing: Jumping Team Gold Medal Final-6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
Aug. 13: Dressage-6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
Aug. 14: Dressage Team Gold Medal Final-6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
Aug. 15: Show Jumping-6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
Aug. 16: Dressage Individual - 5:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. MSNBC
Aug. 17: Show Jumping Team Gold Medal Final 1st Round-10:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m on NBC
Aug. 18: Show Jumping Team Gold Medal Final Round- 6:00pm-8:00 p.m. OXYGEN
Aug. 19: Dressage Individual Gold Medal Final - 6:00 p.m.-8:00 p.m. on OXYGEN
Aug. 21: Show Jumping Individual Gold Medal Final- 10:00am- 1:00 pm on NBC
Old 08-08-2008, 04:52 PM
Keeneland

You can watch a good portion of the Olympics on your computer, on the NBC Olympics site - in fact, the dressage portion of three-day eventing starts in about half an hour, 6:30 eastern, tonight (before the opening ceremonies are even televised on NBC)
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 08-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGFan
You should love that MMSC!!!

2 former US racehorses and 1st time competeing for China an ex Hong Kong racehorse.

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/nat...-Olympics.aspx

http://useventing.com/competitions.php?id=1571
Lucky horses!

Maybe I'll try to find a horsie costume and book a flight to HK and, and.....
Old 08-10-2008, 12:37 PM
Fairgrounds

Well so far for the dressage Lucinda Fredricks of Australia is firmly holding onto the #1 spot.

Courageous Comet and Becky Holder for the USA is #5

Amy Tryon and Poggio ll are tied in 24th

and Alex Hua Tian with Chico the former Hong Kong racehorse are tied in 31st.

There is also a 67 year old man from Japan, Hiroshi Hoketsu, that will be competing but I can't even find what event he is to compete in. The NBC site is a bit hard to follow. He first competed in the 1964 olympics.
http://www.nbcolympics.com/athletes/...japanese+rider
Old 08-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Well so far for the dressage Lucinda Fredricks of Australia is firmly holding onto the #1 spot.

Courageous Comet and Becky Holder for the USA is #5

There is also a 67 year old man from Japan, Hiroshi Hoketsu, that will be competing but I can't even find what event he is to compete in. The NBC site is a bit hard to follow. He first competed in the 1964 olympics.
Poggio II hooked a leg and dumped Tryon mid-coarse. both seem to be ok.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:53 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:

Holder for theCourageous Comet and Becky USA is #5

Courageous Comet had a nice run and is ranked 20th.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:23 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
Poggio II hooked a leg and dumped Tryon mid-coarse. both seem to be ok.
I saw that what a shame and Comet had a refusal.
9 riders were off their horses yesterday and DQ'd, including Alex Hau Tian with Chico. Very tough day and tough course for all.

Todays which I believe will be on Oxygen at 5 CST is the finals.

Hinrich Romeike for Germany takes the gold on his spectacular mount Marius.

The US gets a silver with a surprise from Gina Miles and Kristina Cook of GRB gets the bronze..Germany won the team gold.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/equestria...id=201332.html
Old 08-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I saw that what a shame and Comet had a refusal.
9 riders were off their horses yesterday and DQ'd, including Alex Hau Tian with Chico. Very tough day and tough course for all.

Todays which I believe will be on Oxygen at 5 CST is the finals.

Hinrich Romeike for Germany takes the gold on his spectacular mount Marius.

The US gets a silver with a surprise from Gina Miles and Kristina Cook of GRB gets the bronze..Germany won the team gold.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/equestria...id=201332.html
I wasn't looking for the results until i watched it tonight.

My favorite mare in the eventing events was Headley Britannia, she got so tired at the end of the cross country but she is such a neat little jumper and was just awesome in the dressage.

http://www.efanational.com/image.asp...0312&display=6

http://www.efanational.com/default.asp?Page=17756
Old 08-12-2008, 03:37 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
I wasn't looking for the results until i watched it tonight.

My favorite mare in the eventing events was Headley Britannia, she got so tired at the end of the cross country but she is such a neat little jumper and was just awesome in the dressage.

http://www.efanational.com/image.asp...0312&display=6

http://www.efanational.com/default.asp?Page=17756
I'm sorry!!! But I won't be on later, the watching olympics addiction. We had to get chinese food the other nite....

I became entranced with Marius the other day. And yes Britania what a cool little horse, did you see her jump the sand at the very end yesterday? Almost ran one of the volunteers over.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Flemington

Quote:
I'm sorry!!! But I won't be on later, the watching olympics addiction. We had to get chinese food the other nite....

I became entranced with Marius the other day. And yes Britania what a cool little horse, did you see her jump the sand at the very end yesterday? Almost ran one of the volunteers over.
She had places to go!

I can't recall the name of the horse, but that one German horse was SO big he looked to be going really slow, but was in fact one of the stronger times.

Horsies rule!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:26 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
She had places to go!

I can't recall the name of the horse, but that one German horse was SO big he looked to be going really slow, but was in fact one of the stronger times.

Horsies rule!
ROR!!!!!!

Was it the gray one if so that is Marius, I meant to look up what he is.

It was a hard course.

OH yikes it's almost time....looking forward to tonight.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Flemington

Gina was awesome!!!! I confess to wishing that Marius knocked a rail

Tina Cook's horse looked spectacular in the show jumping round.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 AM
Flemington

Quote:
ROR!!!!!!

Was it the gray one if so that is Marius, I meant to look up what he is.

It was a hard course.

OH yikes it's almost time....looking forward to tonight.
yeah I think it was him. He almost looks to have some draft in him when you look at his legs. Solid boy!
Old 08-13-2008, 09:59 AM
Jerome Park

I think Eventing is terrible... well not the jumping and dressage part but the cross country. On E-360 Last night (ESPN's show) they had a segment on eventing, 14 people have died during eventing (all in cross country and all by the horse pretty much flipping over the jump and landing right on the person) since 2006. I have no idea how that is allowed to happen without some major changes being made.

Supposedly, the Olympic Committee is the one who originally changed the cross country rules, making the courses much shorter but much more dangerous. The death toll is from since the rules were changed. I think its disgusting. But then again, whenever I watch a mother on tv having to talk about the death of her young daughter, I get outraged.

If I ever have a daughter and she wants to get involved in horse sports, I will say NO way Jose to everything except trail rides and dressage (eventhough I know accidents can happen then also). I have a friend who was a top Show Jumper and she was paralyzed from her waste down.. so I will not allow my future children to do that also!
Old 08-13-2008, 10:42 AM
Flemington

I rode cross country so the eventing is my favorite....

Uncly Trust, I understand your objection to this event, but if you can't watch eventing how can you watch racing?
Old 08-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I rode cross country so the eventing is my favorite....

Uncly Trust, I understand your objection to this event, but if you can't watch eventing how can you watch racing?

What I dont understand, is if they know the shorter more challenging courses are providing his huge dangers to the horse and riders, why dont they change back to the old way of doing things??

I didnt really have a problem with eventing (granted I didnt know too much about it) til I watched that show last night. I had heard a couple eventers died here in Ocala a little while back, but I didnt realize how many people were dying.

The thing that bothered me was that some parents said their child's trainers would recommend moving up to these top levels and buying these big $$ horses, when the kid probably wasnt really ready for it. Then something happens and the kid is gone.

Also, some good suggestions were made, like changing the jumps on the the Xcountry course so they explode if a horse hits it (like made out of paper mache (SP?) ) so that horses cant flip over the jumps and kill the riders. At least made the jumps have those pins on it so the rails fall off like Show Jumping. If those ideas will save peoples lives I have no idea why they are not implemented. From the report last night.. it seems like the "top" guys in Eventing would be totally against these changes. That makes no sense to me.

I guess for horse racing, for my personal opinion, its grown men who know the risks (I mean its obvious that if you become a jockey to expect to break every bone at least once and have the risk of fatal injuries). These guys are doing this for $$ and they understand the sports risks.

I really dont know enough about eventing, but when young kids are dying that just makes me really upset. When you started Eventing, did you and your parents realize that you could die any weekend doing the sport? How much safer was it when the courses were longer and the jumps were more spaced out?

Now that they realize the risks these short, difficult courses are putting on the horses and riders, its time for them to make a safety change, whether it is making the courses long again and/ or changing the jumps so they give with the horse.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:53 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
yeah I think it was him. He almost looks to have some draft in him when you look at his legs. Solid boy!
I looked him up he is a Holstein. I kinda wanted him to make a mistake too, but only because Gina would have gotten gold. If she wasn't in medal position I wanted Marius to win.

Trusty, I understand your position, but am kinda surprised. And this course only 9 riders fell off, no person or horse was injured.
Where was this ESPN? It's kinda like ESPN is becoming the mouth piece for the animal activists...hmmmmmm.

MY BIGGEST OBJECTION IS:

Why don't the horseys get a medal, only the rider gets one. How cool would that be for your horse to have it's own medal.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
Jerome Park

Just at the Rolex event this year alone, two horses had to be put down and that Chimichanga guy was critically injured...

I love horses, dont get me wrong (and not in a sumitis type of way LOL), but when a person dies it affects me 100 times more than when a horse has to be put down. Just hearing 14 people died since these rule changes went into play really got under my skin.

The fact that nobodys doing anything to change that (how hard could it be to make the jumps safer - so they either explode when a horse hits it or fall off like show jumping) is what really pisses me off.

Now I realize why my company charges eventers a much higher insurance rate than other show horses...
Old 08-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
Just at the Rolex event this year alone, two horses had to be put down and that Chimichanga guy was critically injured...

I love horses, dont get me wrong (and not in a sumitis type of way LOL), but when a person dies it affects me 100 times more than when a horse has to be put down. Just hearing 14 people died since these rule changes went into play really got under my skin.

The fact that nobodys doing anything to change that (how hard could it be to make the jumps safer - so they either explode when a horse hits it or fall off like show jumping) is what really pisses me off.

Now I realize why my company charges eventers a much higher insurance rate than other show horses...
Oh, who was watching E60??