Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 PM
The Curragh

Default DVD's, Your Next VHS

My local Blockbuster Store Manager and I were shootin the breeze while he was resetting a good bit of his store for Blue Ray. I asked him how long it would be before the majority of his inventory would be Blue Ray. His reply, 1 to 2 years max.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:12 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
My local Blockbuster Store Manager and I were shootin the breeze while he was resetting a good bit of his store for Blue Ray. I asked him how long it would be before the majority of his inventory would be Blue Ray. His reply, 1 to 2 years max.
you two were discussing evolutionary plans for the dinosaurs after the comet hits.

i doubt he has 80% of todays foot traffic in 1-2 years regardless of what he has on his shelf. people aren't going to be walking into rental outlets when they can download it at home.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:21 PM
Coach Pants

What is torrent? Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No mo'.
Old 08-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Havre de Grace

Be shocked if Blockbuster is still around in 2 yrs
Old 08-12-2008, 10:41 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
Be shocked if Blockbuster is still around in 2 yrs
i wouldn't go that far. they'll be around in 2 years and maybe 10. but most of their business will be online.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:13 PM
Hialeah Park

If Blockbuster only had Endurance available for rental/purchase. A 1970'sish Asain gameshow that put willing participants through HELL for the chance to win a trip to Hawaii. (tied them to elephants and dragged them through glass and gravel, had vikings bang them in the nuts with huge mallets, threw them in fake gator pits, amongst other sick, twisted things) One of the best watches EVER. When my brother went to Central High, he brought home Endurance, Full Metal Jacket, and Heat in the same night. He was my short lived idol until he became an enemy once I attended Northeast. Longest Thanksgiving Day football rivalry in the country. Hail Northeast!!
"A person who saw no important difference between the fire outside a Neandrathal's cave and a working thermo-nuclear reactor might tell you that junk bonds and derivatives BOTH serve to energize capital"

- Nathan Israel
Old 08-13-2008, 03:30 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god
i wouldn't go that far. they'll be around in 2 years and maybe 10. but most of their business will be online.
you are correct...meaning the buildings will be vacant, but the USPS will be kickin it!
Old 08-14-2008, 05:03 AM
Del Mar

Default I thought this would be huge..

Old 08-14-2008, 05:26 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Pants
What is torrent? Baby don't hurt me. Don't hurt me. No mo'.

DVD Store ?????

As Captain Jack Sparrow would say AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR Be a PIRATE
Old 08-19-2008, 06:26 AM
Santa Anita

Blu Ray will not get the initial wave of support that DVD got. It's not THAT much clearer unless you have a very new TV with 1080p. Plus, the new copy protection really stinks. Many of us like to be able to backup a our purchased DVDs in case one gets scratched, or to take on the plane with us - things like that.

I agree with many on this thread that the local, walk-in video store is in for a major contraction in customer support. It might always be around in some form, but they will not be able to sustain the same number and size of stores that they currently have.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeydb
Blu Ray will not get the initial wave of support that DVD got. It's not THAT much clearer unless you have a very new TV with 1080p. Plus, the new copy protection really stinks. Many of us like to be able to backup a our purchased DVDs in case one gets scratched, or to take on the plane with us - things like that.

I agree with many on this thread that the local, walk-in video store is in for a major contraction in customer support. It might always be around in some form, but they will not be able to sustain the same number and size of stores that they currently have.
Around here now at our grocery stores, they have DVD vending machines, cost like $3, return it the next time you go to grocery store....