Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Steve Dellinger Discourse Den
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2008, 03:55 PM
The Curragh

Default Human Resources 101 - Part 2

I am at a new store now, so this is a different HR Manager from my previous thread fyi.

New hire is supposed to start last week. I personally handed him his schedule after he was hired so I know he knew when to be at work. His first scheduled day, he was a no call no show. He shows up the next day he is scheduled to be at work and when I asked him why he was not here he said he did not know he was scheduled

I consult with our HR Manager and ask his permission to let him go. He said no, give him another chance. This guy did not follow one instruction I gave him on how we do things, not one. Ok, so we give him another chance.

This past Sunday, he was a no call no show again. So, when he shows up for work today I send him directly to our HR Manager assuming he will let him go for sure. After all, I told him about his second no call no show and he is still in his 45 day probationary period.

Guess what. This employee comes from the HR Managers office and walks up to me and says Jason (the HR Manager) wants to talk to you. So I go upstairs and he says he has a "good feeling that this kid will turn it around now".

He is still employed with us.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:10 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i recommend updating your resume and switching companies.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:26 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

he must be a dt member...
Old 08-05-2008, 04:27 PM
Coach Pants

burn his house down.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Thistley Downs

Mix him up with Mr. Plumber so they can flocculate.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Thistley Downs

Mr. Toast;

Some of this stuff is a little hard to swaller.

Are you sure you are not on the wrong end of a two way mirror?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:52 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
Absolutely.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:08 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
I am not at that point, far from it. I have been with this company a little over two years. I started this job for some extra part time income to pay down some bills and have a little "fun" money. I went from making $8.10 an hour to becoming a Department Manager in a little over a year. This company has a fantastic benefits package, their 401k is second to none in what they match etc etc..

Also, in all honesty, my job experience is not stable prior to this job. I bounced around from job to job in great part because of some personal demons that I was fighting. So, it is extremely important for me to give this company everything I got because they trusted me enough and put me in this position forgiving my terrible work experience from 1999 thru 2006. I have not missed a beat with them.

It is just so frustrating as a Department Manager to have a great crew of hard working folks and have this one bad apple that will no doubt cause problems and possibly be a bad influence on others. I spoke to another Department Manager and he had a great suggestion. As long as he is in his 45 day probationary period schedule him in as early as possible and let him be late a couple more times or no call no show. Then, jump above our HR Manager and take the facts to the Regional HR Manager. Honestly, I feel I should do that this week regardless.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:53 PM
Oriental Park

I didn't read the entire 1st thread........what type of industry are you in?
Old 08-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Arlington Park

stop encouraging him.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost
I am not at that point, far from it. I have been with this company a little over two years. I started this job for some extra part time income to pay down some bills and have a little "fun" money. I went from making $8.10 an hour to becoming a Department Manager in a little over a year. This company has a fantastic benefits package, their 401k is second to none in what they match etc etc..

Also, in all honesty, my job experience is not stable prior to this job. I bounced around from job to job in great part because of some personal demons that I was fighting. So, it is extremely important for me to give this company everything I got because they trusted me enough and put me in this position forgiving my terrible work experience from 1999 thru 2006. I have not missed a beat with them.

It is just so frustrating as a Department Manager to have a great crew of hard working folks and have this one bad apple that will no doubt cause problems and possibly be a bad influence on others. I spoke to another Department Manager and he had a great suggestion. As long as he is in his 45 day probationary period schedule him in as early as possible and let him be late a couple more times or no call no show. Then, jump above our HR Manager and take the facts to the Regional HR Manager. Honestly, I feel I should do that this week regardless.
well, there's a lot to be said about having a job you like, and having good benefits to boot.
i would suggest (since my original advice was really not that good) going back to the hr guy, and explaining that not only do you feel it's a waste of your time to train someone to work at a job they obviously don't care enough about to come to work for-in their probationary period no less-but that it will affect the morale of all the workers who follow their schedules and do their jobs.
you tend to get what you expect from your employees. it sounds as tho your hr guy (and i'd imagine he hired this guy, and doesn't want to be proven wrong so quickly on a hire-of course that does happen, no one hits 100% of the time when hiring) has his expectations set too low regarding employees. or maybe he's doing someone a favor.
you could always send the guy packing and then explain why--they say it's easier to get forgiveness than permission!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:34 AM
Thistley Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi_im_god
stop encouraging him.

3 Brown Sugahs

Old 08-07-2008, 08:35 AM
Thistley Downs

Quote:

Sounds kinky

2 nipples...you need 'em

Old 08-07-2008, 12:02 PM
Thistley Downs

I'm so sorry,Dannie.

I have been bad...again.

You must punish me.

WHIP IT REAL GOOD,NOW!!!

ror!

Oh boy.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2MinsToPost

Curt: only problem is that you and the HR man aren't on the same page yet! before you go over his head you better have mucho ammo and be prepared to back down (be diplomatic) if it gets too political! Scorched earth is bad in retrospect.
Old 08-10-2008, 05:23 PM
Thistley Downs

I think this baby has bled out now.

Let it die for God's sakes.
Old 08-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Del Mar

You need to be promoted to HR manager!