Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2020, 11:09 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I get what you’re saying but I think it’s closer to the same argument than you think it is. I understood that the more logical (much more) decision was for Bricks and Mortar to run in the Turf. That was not in question. I wanted to see a challenge and something special. But I knew what made sense from a business perspective. Just as I understand why the owners of Maximum Security would chose a $20 million purse over a $3 million one. Your desire is definitely more logical though.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-22-2020, 12:44 PM
Steve Byk

$3 million PEGASUS WORLD CUP

To be run Saturday as race 12 of 12
Post time: 5:45 p.m. Eastern
TV: NBC (4:30-6)
For 4-year-olds and up at 1 1/8 miles

(PP, Horse, Jockey, GP M/L)

1. TRUE TIMBER, J.Bravo, 20-1
2. TAX, J.Ortiz, 12-1
3. DIAMOND OOPS, J.Leparoux, 20-1
4. SEEKING THE SOUL, J.Velazquez, 30-1
5. OMAHA BEACH, M.Smith, 7-5
6. HIGHER POWER, F.Prat, 6-1
7. WAR STORY, J.Rosario, 30-1
8. MR FREEZE, L.Saez, 30-1
9. SPUN TO RUN, J.Castellano, 7-2
10. MUCHO GUSTO, I.OrtizJr., 9-2
11. TENFOLD, T.Gaffalione, 30-1
12. BODEXPRESS, E.Jaramillo, 30-1

$1 million PEGASUS WORLD CUP TURF

Race 11 of 12
Post time, 5:15
For 4-year-olds and up at 1 3/16 miles (turf)

(PP, Horse, Jockey, GP M/L)

1. ZULU ALPHA, T.Gaffalione, 12-1
2. ARKLOW, L.Saez, 6-1
3. WITHOUT PAROLE, F.Dettori, 4-1
4. SADLER’S JOY, J.Castellano, 8-1
5. CHANNEL CAT, J.Velazquez, 10-1
6. INSTILLED REGARD, I.OrtizJr., 10-1
7. ADMISSION OFFICE, F.Prat, 30-1
8. HENLEY’S JOY, J.Leparoux, 30-1
9. NEXT SHARES, J.ValdiviaJr., 30-1
10. MO FORZA, J.Rosario, 5-1
11. SACRED LIFE, J.Ortiz, 12-1
12. MAGIC WAND, R.Moore, 7-2
13 (AE). TUSK, no rider, 30-1

Last edited by Kasept : 01-22-2020 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:14 PM
Jerome Park

I saw some quotes from Mandella saying he has never had a better horse than Omaha Beach. I just don't understand why any trainer would say something like that. Pleasantly Perfect, just to name one, would have broken him in half at 9F and up. Beholder? I imagine if we had a list of his horses over the last 30 years, there would be more than a few.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:18 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
I saw some quotes from Mandella saying he has never had a better horse than Omaha Beach. I just don't understand why any trainer would say something like that. Pleasantly Perfect, just to name one, would have broken him in half at 9F and up. Beholder? I imagine if we had a list of his horses over the last 30 years, there would be more than a few.
Ya I thought that was a strange quote. I need to look at this race deeper but cant see Omaha Beach losing. This is a slow field.
Old 01-22-2020, 02:19 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Saw that too and PP immediately came to mind. Very underrated horse and I have no idea how Omaha Beach would even warm him up in a fairly run race.
Old 01-22-2020, 03:24 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Ya I thought that was a strange quote. I need to look at this race deeper but cant see Omaha Beach losing. This is a slow field.
I haven’t seen the PPs for this yet...so I’m just going off memory...but Mucho Gusto, Spun to Run, and Bodexpress are all pretty fast.

I honestly think Spun to Run may be a better horse at this point in their respective careers. I’ve got to take a look as well but I’ve got a feeling I’m going to fall in love with Diamond Oops and hammer him at 20-1.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:26 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
I haven’t seen the PPs for this yet...so I’m just going off memory...but Mucho Gusto, Spun to Run, and Bodexpress are all pretty fast.

I honestly think Spun to Run may be a better horse at this point in their respective careers. I’ve got to take a look as well but I’ve got a feeling I’m going to fall in love with Diamond Oops and hammer him at 20-1.
Spun to Run is a toss for me here. Distance not in his wheel house. Mucho needs to get out control pace and hold on. While I don’t see a hot pace and he could go long way I think there are a few others that may try to do same thing. Higher Power is interesting play here and would be my second choice but still think Omaha Beach will pounce on them all.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:05 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Spun to Run is a toss for me here. Distance not in his wheel house. Mucho needs to get out control pace and hold on. While I don’t see a hot pace and he could go long way I think there are a few others that may try to do same thing. Higher Power is interesting play here and would be my second choice but still think Omaha Beach will pounce on them all.
It’s hard for me to toss Spun to Run. He has only gotten better with age. I don’t dislike Omaha Beach but I really don’t like the 7/5 ML.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:27 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I have nothing but respect for Mandella as a trainer but Omaha Beach would need a head start to beat Gentlemen. Siphon was no slouch either.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:38 PM
Keeneland

Count me in the group that is against Omaha Beach in here. I think the race sets up for a deep closer and for that reason alone I’m going to try and get Seeking the Soul in the number. I know his last few have been BAD but Dallas Stewart has a habit of having his runners surprise at a huge number
Old 01-22-2020, 07:43 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
I have nothing but respect for Mandella as a trainer but Omaha Beach would need a head start to beat Gentlemen. Siphon was no slouch either.
Yeah, Gentlemen would have lapped him.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:18 PM
Havre de Grace

Default Jockeys

Jose Ortiz chooses Tax over Spun to Run. Not sure what to make of that .
Mr Freeze gets Big upgrade to Luis Saez from Robby Albarado. I like him.
I wonder if Irad Ortiz Jr. will make a difference on Mucho Gusto instead of Joe Talamo.
Old 01-22-2020, 08:46 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Jose Ortiz chooses Tax over Spun to Run. Not sure what to make of that .
Mr Freeze gets Big upgrade to Luis Saez from Robby Albarado. I like him.
I wonder if Irad Ortiz Jr. will make a difference on Mucho Gusto instead of Joe Talamo.
How did Jose choose Tax over Spun to Run? Irad has been riding Spun to Run.
Old 01-22-2020, 10:27 PM
Havre de Grace

Either need new readers, or less reefers.
Irad took mucho gusto who he hasn’t ridden, over Spun to Run and tax who he won graded stakes under. Not sure how you get off a Breeders cup winner who made him a lot of money for one race.
Old 01-22-2020, 11:06 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Either need new readers, or less reefers.
Irad took mucho gusto who he hasn’t ridden, over Spun to Run and tax who he won graded stakes under. Not sure how you get off a Breeders cup winner who made him a lot of money for one race.
A pretty smart guy thought it was a way to get into the Baffert barn. Made a lot of sense.

He’s going to make a lot more money in the long run riding for Baffert
Old 01-23-2020, 08:31 AM
Steve Byk

OMAHA BEACH a SCR with developing fracture.. PRIVMAN: https://www.drf.com/news/omaha-beach...asus-world-cup

HALLANDALE BEACH, Fla. - Omaha Beach has what appears to be the beginning of a fracture in his right hind leg and will be scratched from the $3 million Pegasus World Cup on Saturday at Gulfstream Park, trainer Richard Mandella said Thursday afternoon.

"He went out for a gallop this morning, cooled out great, but we noticed something later," Mandella said. "We X-rayed his right hind ankle. It's questionable what's there, but it looks like it might be the beginning of a cannon-bone fracture. We can't take a chance."

Mandella said the X-rays were sent to noted veterinarian Dr. Larry Bramlage, who evaluated the images.

The Pegasus was scheduled to be the final start for Omaha Beach before going to stud next month at Spendthrift Farm. His star-crossed career included having to be scratched from the Kentucky Derby owing to an entrapped epiglottis days before the race. He raced 10 times, and won three Grade 1 races.

Earlier Thursday, Spun to Run was scratched from the Pegasus. The original field of 12 is now to 10.

Skin disease outbreak KO's SPUN TO RUN.. https://live.drf.com/nuggets/50205-s...se-per-trainer

Last edited by Kasept : 01-23-2020 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2020, 08:59 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Skin disease outbreak KO's SPUN TO RUN.. https://live.drf.com/nuggets/50205-s...se-per-trainer
That definitely shakes things up.
Old 01-23-2020, 11:15 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Without Parole will be a huge underlay with Dettori up
I'm guessing around 9/5
Old 01-23-2020, 12:46 PM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by moses View Post
That definitely shakes things up.

Omaha Beach's scratch will definitely shake things up
Old 01-27-2020, 09:03 PM
Churchill Downs

What happened to the purses for this race? It went from 16m in 2016 to 3m?