Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-25-2017, 04:34 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Favored? Over Baffert and Pletcher? No way
ummm its Chad Brown and his name carries almost as much weight.

I just listened to 10 sharp people........they all picked Practical Joke, they all did.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:56 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
ummm its Chad Brown and his name carries almost as much weight.

I just listened to 10 sharp people........they all picked Practical Joke, they all did.
Im not a fan.
Old 08-25-2017, 05:06 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Im not a fan.
I am, but I think he will be overbet in this spot. I will use in multi races but value wise there wont be any.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
I am, but I think he will be overbet in this spot. I will use in multi races but value wise there wont be any.
He's not fast enough to beat Coal Front or American Anthem and he will be way overbet. I always look for the pricey cutback in this race but not this year. It's 2 deep chalks for me.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:12 PM

Here are my Travers Day stakes opinions since im being accused of copying Andy and now Gabby via PM.

Personal Ensign
Forever Unbridled is my main use. Maybe a little Going for Broke as a backup. Toss Songbird. Ill be making a huge win bet if i get 3-1 on FU.
The Ballerina
Nothing clever except maybe Highway Star. Using 4 of the 7. Carina Mia is the most likely winner.
The Kings Bishop
Coal Front and American Anthem should be tough from right on top of the pace. Will b/u with a little Tale of Silence as he ia the cutback closer I want at a big price.
The Forgo
Drefong is an absolute standout lock cinch. Good luck catching him. Bob knows, win this and defend in the BC sprint he wins the eclipse off 2 wins.
The Sword Dancer
I think Erupt and Idaho are the horses to beat, even though I know there is a big negative formulator stat floating around for Aidan Obrien. Ill use Money Multiplier equally with the Euros out of respect for Chad.
The Travers
I have 2 mains and a b/u. Westcoast and Good Samaritan are my As with a little Fayeq at a huge price.
The Ballston Spa
Im using Antonoe as i think the cutback will be the equalizer vs Lady Eli. Im giving Time and Motion another chance here also. Ill use those 2 equally and hope for Time and Motion.

Good luck
Old 08-25-2017, 10:13 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
The Kings Bishop
Coal Front and American Anthem should be tough from right on top of the pace. Will b/u with a little Tale of Silence as he ia the cutback closer I want at a big price.
Practical Joke - been salivating over this since his huge move (and subsequent wilt) in the Fountain of Youth. Nothing he has done since suggests that this race was not his ultimate destiny. Hard Spun ran second in the Haskell and cutback and won this race in 2007. More Than Ready, Forestry, and Tale of the Cat also lost in the Haskell and won this race right back. Forestry and Gygistar also pulled off the Dwyer-King's Bishop double.

Ann Arbor Eddie - 3rd try off a layoff and has been sharp since cutting back from routes. The Cal-bred career is deceptive. Ann Arbor Eddie boasts 4 career wins (only equaled by Practical Joke) out of 8 starts. Mr. Hinx, who bested him last out at Del Mar, owns 5 wins in 8 starts. He tackles older rivals tomorrow in the wide open Pat O'Brien. The unlucky show horse in the Real Good Deal, Edwards Going Left, came back last weekend and pulverized an allowance field of older horses in 1:09+ (no mean feat over the deep Del Mar surface) to register 4 wins from 6 starts. The same day, fellow 3yo American Pastime won a NW3x allowance also in 1:09+ at Del Mar against stakes caliber older sprinters including 2017 Grade 3 winner Lord Simba. Previous to that American Pastime beat Kimbear in an allowance in June at Santa Anita. Kimbear was coming off a runner up finish to American Anthem in the Laz Barrera.

Wild Shot - been horrendous since his big score cutting back to one turn in the Pat Day Mile, but one was a route and he looked to have been fried in the Woody Stephens having to chase real sprint speed in the shape of Recruiting Ready. That is in contrast to what he chased in the Pat Day, Uncontested, who was showing speed in routes in prior races. Why should anything be different in the Allen Jerkens? Jock switch to Lezcano may signal a return to his Tampa Bay Derby trip, when he was held up out of the race early and finished with interest down the lane. A little interesting at an astronomical price.

American Anthem - has the dubious distinction of winning perhaps the most unproductive 3yo stakes races on either coast this year. The only horse out of the Barrera aside from American Anthem to win another race was Taxman's Quest, who left CA with his tail between his legs and found winning form besting fellow Oklahoma-breds in a $45K stakes at Fair Meadows. The only horse to come out of the Woody Stephens to win another race was Petrov, who scored smartly in a 7f allowance at Saratoga, looking primed for this race. However, he has failed to register a work since that race (August 4).

Practical Joke over Ann Arbor Eddie. Wild Shot or No Dozing to complete the trifecta. All the speed melts away.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:19 PM

Practical Joke has all the makings of a horse who opens up at 4-5.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:30 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
So did Hard Spun if I recall correctly. He ultimately got off at just over 6-5.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
So did Hard Spun if I recall correctly. He ultimately got off at just over 6-5.
He also had speed, didn't draw the rail, and didn't face this type of field. I just watched the replay, and First Defence was probably the next best horse. And I forgot how close he made it..... Coal Front could be special. Kirans horse could be a special sprinter and we know American Anthem is solid sprinting.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:02 PM
Oriental Park

Coal Front is all dressed up on that gold rail big fig earlier in the meet, I could never play him with that scenario.

Funny I also liked Ann Arbor Eddie, horse has shown flashes of talent, in that Mastery race he ran very well, and Mastery was the best 3yo I saw this year.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:38 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:

He also had the makings of a hoss who will whistle going 7 panels. Why would anyone accuse you of copying Surly and Chatty ? That's not gonna get you many winners. If you want someone's picks to copy, Byk is the one with all the winners
Old 08-26-2017, 01:31 PM

Bim bam Boom. Songbird had everything her way and still gunned down.
2 good horses, but FU is better.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:35 PM
Havre de Grace

If Smith takes her out to see FU it's different story. Poor judgement there by Smith. Race riding 101.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
If Smith takes her out to see FU it's different story. Poor judgement there by Smith. Race riding 101.
Nonsense. She just ran her down from dead last under a hand ride with no pace. Come on bro.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:40 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
No, the mistake was turning a dirt race into a turf race. You take a speed horse and go slow, sure if you are not the dead ass chalk its a good move, with a filly that can really run you use your speed so the closers have to work to keep in touch so they dont finish.

That was like watching the Balston Spa that will happen today.

I bet the 4, pretty good I might add, but that was a very bad ride by Mike Smith, he knows better.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:42 PM

The people who have been on FU since last summer knew she had this in her. Hence 2-1.
Old 08-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Oriental Park

Wow,
I have never seen anyone pat themselves on the back for picking out a 2-1 shot in a four horse field. You are the man, Congrats!
Old 08-26-2017, 01:51 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
The people who have been on FU since last summer knew she had this in her. Hence 2-1.
well it was a 4 horse race, 2/1 was about right. The betting on the race was about right.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:07 PM

Good for Maragh.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:08 PM
Oriental Park

To get fined if you use a horses speed in these races?