Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-16-2020, 11:57 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Probably because City Zip passed away a few years ago and no longer generates money for the farm. Considering that a 6-figure sales price and a lopsided maiden win is what stamped Honor A.P. as a stallion prospect in Lane's End eyes, a cynic might figure these guys don't really follow top level racing to any great degree (so long as the stallion prospects get black type from somewhere).

On top of that, I doubt Farish wants to draw attention to Improbable lest he inadvertently boosts the horse's stallion profile.

Improbable ironically is a Lane's End product (to use the parlance of our time) having been bred by a Lane's End affiliate and being by City Zip out of an A.P. Indy mare. Farish himself campaigned the second dam. But alas, Lane's End couldn't see the potential in Improbable and chucked him out as a weanling for $110K (Lane's End was the consignor).

Now the horse is untouchable as a potential stallion replacement for City Zip at Lane's End because he's owned by arch rival Winstar Farm.
This is why you're one of the best posters on this board. That is some great knowledge right there. I don't follow breeding close enough to have even thought about putting those dots together.

The difference in handling for those horses is sort of interesting. I'm not sure if this qualifies as irony but maybe it's noteworthy that Improbable was another "derby contender" who finished a disappointing fourth in the big race. Instead of being retired to stud early as a one-shot Grade 1 winner, Improbable came back for a very strong 4YO campaign and has, I assume, drastically increased his stud value. This year so far, he's got two more Grade 1 wins, $610,000 in earnings, and a very good shot at another Grade 1 win and significant earnings at Breeders Cup.

Of course, Improbable didn't have any injuries that I'm aware of and that changes things...but still interesting to me.