Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Trip Notes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2020, 07:17 PM
Keeneland

Default Ellis Park 8/2

In my opinion the rail or at the very least inside was where you wanted to be on the grass. In watching the replays again horses really seemed to be traveling well while on the rail and really seemed to be struggling when traveling 3 or 4 wide. Now some of that is grass racing in its nature tends to favor horses who are able to save ground but I think the results tell a lot. I’ll break down the races in depth in a bit but what can be taken from this?

I think you have to upgrade the efforts of every horse who travelled wide and downgrade any horse that rode the rail, or at least take the finish with a grain of salt.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:24 PM
Keeneland

Race 6- this is a race where the winner Caratori should actually be upgraded as she was wide throughout and finished up well. 2nd place finisher Tiger Blood spent much of the race inside and wheeled out at the top of the stretch. 3rd place finisher High Crime set the pace along the inside and was run down late. Not sure I’d really want anyone out of this race with the exception Of Caratori and maybe Vanbrugh who was 4-6 wide throughout and looked like she was really struggling with the ground.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:34 PM
Keeneland

Race 7- Top 3 finishers spent the most time inside. Winner Spectacular Gem dueled inside throughout. Runner up Mr Misunderstood stayed inside for 3/4’s and wheeled out turning for home. 3rd place finisher Hembree sat behind pace in 3rd inside and stayed inside most of the race. The top finishers are all nice, accomplished horses, but I’d be interested in three horses who I feel were compromised by their trip, next time they run.
Ritzy AP was 3-4 wide, made a move at the top of the lane and weakened late. Dontblamerocket and Hay Dakota also spent good portions of the race 3-5 wide and deserve another chance.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:38 PM
Keeneland

Race 8- top 3 finishers spent most time inside. Winner was inside of pacesetter, came outside into stretch and won. Runner up cleared early and kept on gamely inside. 3rd finisher broke from rail, stayed inside and rallied for 3rd.
I’m not sure I really love anyone coming out of this race, but Lead Guitar broke through the gate before the start and ran like it took a lot out of her. She also was in the 3-4 path. Also Stylishly, who needs some class relief, but was wide.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:52 PM
Keeneland

Race 9- Winner rode rail for most of race, tipped out into stretch and wore down pacesetter who was on rail throughout. 3rd place finisher was in 2-3 path throughout. Even the 4th place finisher was able to spend most of the race inside from the 10 hole.
Keep an eye on Daddy is a Legend next time, she was rank off the long break and 3wide on the pace. Streak of Luck was 4-5 wide throughout and Crystal Lake was even wider. Both need class relief but ran better than it looks.
Old 08-03-2020, 07:59 PM
Keeneland

Race 10- Upgrade winner Factor This who was wide on the pace. He eventually got over but ran well to hang on. Runner up was inside throughout. 3rd finisher Rye’s the Guy also should be upgraded as he was behind the pace in the 3-4 path, challenged the winner around the turn and fought hard late. The wide runner in here were Golden Dragon who needs class relief but was out in the parking lot throughout and Signalman. I’d be interested in them with a drop in class.