Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-09-2013, 07:28 PM
Flemington

How are blinkers on/off going to be treated in the Pace Projector?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:49 PM
Churchill Downs

Thumbs up

It looks tremendous guys. Nice touch with the free daily race and instructional videos because there's a lot of great info from what I can see.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:57 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
Congrats guys! Looking forward to it. Now i can see your frustration with the tracks tele timers as your numbers are formulated with pace and final time..Anyway, best of luck!
It can be really frustrating, but it can be a good thing because we catch a lot of them that other providers don't. I'm sure we don't catch every one but do get most.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 PM
Dee Tee Stables

congrats, and best of luck!
Old 07-09-2013, 10:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
How are blinkers on/off going to be treated in the Pace Projector?
That's a great question.

The pace projector is based off of past pace figures and running styles.

Blinkers are generally a speed enhancer and can sometimes fire up a horse early on, but they come in different cup sizes and it's very tough to quantify how much of an impact they will have on a horses early speed.

The pace projector is nice because it gives a quick and clean look at how the pace is expected to unfold based on past data... but it does not take into account the human factor or equipment changes like 1st blinkers. That part, is left up to the bettor.

The human factor is the other main thing that's hard to quantify. Jockeys, either by their own choice or by trainer instruction, can hustle a horse early and get it to show uncharacteristic levels of early speed. Just as they can grab a hold of the horse, and rate it along through the early stages, going much slower than it typically would.

If a jockey/trainer thinks that a race is paceless or thinks that the track is speed biased... they're more likely to ride aggressive early. In situations where the pace figures to be contested, and the strongest horses are mid-pack or closer types...you'll often see multiple jockeys trying to hold their horses through the early stages.

Basically, the human factor and equipment changes are left up to the bettor.

A great example of the usefulness of the pace projector in a high profile race just happened with the Queen's Plate last Sunday:

At just a glance, it was crystal clear that Midnight Aria was projected to be absolutely isolated on a loose early lead. As it turned out, he was able to glide along on a loose early lead with no pressure. Midnight Aria parlayed the perfect trip into a wire-to-wire win at 16/1 odds.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:37 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

congrats on the new product line.doug cj. will you be doing any American pps for ascot and other big euro meets..?
Old 07-10-2013, 07:09 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post
That's a great question.

The pace projector is based off of past pace figures and running styles.

Blinkers are generally a speed enhancer and can sometimes fire up a horse early on, but they come in different cup sizes and it's very tough to quantify how much of an impact they will have on a horses early speed.

The pace projector is nice because it gives a quick and clean look at how the pace is expected to unfold based on past data... but it does not take into account the human factor or equipment changes like 1st blinkers. That part, is left up to the bettor.

The human factor is the other main thing that's hard to quantify. Jockeys, either by their own choice or by trainer instruction, can hustle a horse early and get it to show uncharacteristic levels of early speed. Just as they can grab a hold of the horse, and rate it along through the early stages, going much slower than it typically would.

If a jockey/trainer thinks that a race is paceless or thinks that the track is speed biased... they're more likely to ride aggressive early. In situations where the pace figures to be contested, and the strongest horses are mid-pack or closer types...you'll often see multiple jockeys trying to hold their horses through the early stages.

Basically, the human factor and equipment changes are left up to the bettor.

A great example of the usefulness of the pace projector in a high profile race just happened with the Queen's Plate last Sunday:

At just a glance, it was crystal clear that Midnight Aria was projected to be absolutely isolated on a loose early lead. As it turned out, he was able to glide along on a loose early lead with no pressure. Midnight Aria parlayed the perfect trip into a wire-to-wire win at 16/1 odds.
This is really brilliant for the weekend player or one who has limited time to commit to their handicapping because even if the human factor is such that the race isn't run to the Pace Projector, one can print and note the Projector on how the race was really run and the circumstances surrounding the result to move forward to the next starts for the horses involved. (particularly for Breeders' Cup)

(Your rating systems of races is also super-friendly to the player who has less time to commit.)
Old 07-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Doug, great news--best of luck to you. No one deserves it more.

I remember when The Racing Times shook up the DRF 20+ years ago. I expect you and Timeform can do better than that and beat them at their own game, given the vastly decreased market entrance barriers afforded by modern technology.

I hope you get rich, sir!
Old 07-10-2013, 11:16 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by tector View Post
Doug, great news--best of luck to you. No one deserves it more.

I remember when The Racing Times shook up the DRF 20+ years ago. I expect you and Timeform can do better than that and beat them at their own game, given the vastly decreased market entrance barriers afforded by modern technology.

I hope you get rich, sir!
No offense to CJ but the thing that actually interests me more than the figures on the product is that it sounds like it was created by someone involved in formulator and should be a direct competitor to formulator.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:15 PM
Turf Paradise

Looks like a great site but Internet Explorer won't work. Tough eliminating 25% of the market.
Old 07-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
Looks like a great site but Internet Explorer won't work. Tough eliminating 25% of the market.
https://www.google.com/intl/en/chrome/browser/

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/

http://support.apple.com/kb/dl1531
Old 07-10-2013, 12:24 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Maybe they figure that anybody still using IE is too stupid to use their site?
Old 07-10-2013, 01:22 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Old 07-10-2013, 02:14 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
No offense to CJ but the thing that actually interests me more than the figures on the product is that it sounds like it was created by someone involved in formulator and should be a direct competitor to formulator.
Not offended...
Old 07-10-2013, 02:51 PM
Del Mar

Thumbs up

Congrates guys. Looks very interesting.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:36 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
i didn't know that was an indication of stupidity. appreciate it.
Old 07-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Turf Paradise

Quote:
I have worked in the computer field for 30 years. Nothing wrong with IE. Maybe Tector needs to keep his insults to himself.
Thanks Nick and Danzig.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino View Post
I have worked in the computer field for 30 years. Nothing wrong with IE. Maybe Tector needs to keep his insults to himself.
Thanks Nick and Danzig.
the company i work for uses it, which means i use it. knowing how well the business is doing, they aren't stupid either.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Fairgrounds

I just tried tomorrow's free race from Belmont. I know all of the features aren't operational, but I don't understand the star system or how the selections are made. I read the site which says stars are based on recent form and morning line odds. But, what exactly does that mean?

I also wasn't sure how to use the pace projector. From that, it appears that the 6 will have a lose easy lead and has the highest spotlight speed figure but he is nowhere in the selections and only has three stars.

What am I missing with this?

Paul
Old 07-10-2013, 06:18 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweizer View Post
I just tried tomorrow's free race from Belmont. I know all of the features aren't operational, but I don't understand the star system or how the selections are made. I read the site which says stars are based on recent form and morning line odds. But, what exactly does that mean?

I also wasn't sure how to use the pace projector. From that, it appears that the 6 will have a lose easy lead and has the highest spotlight speed figure but he is nowhere in the selections and only has three stars.

What am I missing with this?

Paul
The stars and selections are from Timeform (UK) and really have little to do with the content in the PPs. Not really my area but I know this is being addressed.