Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2017, 03:05 PM
Steve Byk

Default 9/2 (SAR): Woodward, Spinaway (G1's), Saranac, Glens Falls (G3's)

Old 08-30-2017, 04:13 PM
Oriental Park

Where are all the two year olds in Saratoga?
Old 08-30-2017, 08:24 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Rally Cry in an upset. Do I think he's as good as Gun Runner, no. But with a likely odds difference of 1-5 and 4-1 he's worth a shot. He has thrown a few very big races, including his last that make him competitive.
Old 08-30-2017, 10:47 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Rally Cry in an upset. Do I think he's as good as Gun Runner, no. But with a likely odds difference of 1-5 and 4-1 he's worth a shot. He has thrown a few very big races, including his last that make him competitive.
No advanced praise for Bricks and Mortar?

That is a really interesting race actually. The invader from WO looks outstanding too.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:06 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
No advanced praise for Bricks and Mortar?

That is a really interesting race actually. The invader from WO looks outstanding too.
Cinch.
Old 08-31-2017, 12:42 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by RHT2004 View Post
Cinch.
Hardly. Have you seen the Woodbine horse? He looks like a top horse.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:10 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
Hardly. Have you seen the Woodbine horse? He looks like a top horse.
Horse won by half a pole.
Da Silva never let the horse extend........he never moved his arms on the straighten.
Freak.
Old 08-31-2017, 01:34 AM
Oriental Park

Caviar Czar is the only horse in the race making his turf debut. Dam was a stakes-placed turf runner imported from France.

More importantly, his second dam, Love Me True is the dam of the 2013 Epsom Derby winner, Ruler of The World as well as 2008 Champion older horse Duke of Marmalade (Juddmonte International, King George, Prince of Wales's, etc.).

Fourth dam is uber-broodmare Lassie Dear (A.P. Indy, Summer Squall, Lemon Drop Kid, Honor Grades, etc.).

Caviar Czar's sire, Medaglia d'Oro, in addition to siring slow 3yo fillies (Rachel Alexandra, Elate, Songbird, Plum Pretty) has sired numerous Grade 1 turf winners and overseas champions. He himself was by top turf stallion El Prado (Kitten's Joy, Artie Schiller, Timo, etc.).

Caviar Czar had two blistering works over the Belmont turf course in June, both bullets at 1/2 mile. Not sure what the delay was making his turf debut, but last race was off-the-turf. John Velasquez opts for this over stablemate Master Plan.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:17 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Caviar Czar is the only horse in the race making his turf debut. Dam was a stakes-placed turf runner imported from France.

More importantly, his second dam, Love Me True is the dam of the 2013 Epsom Derby winner, Ruler of The World as well as 2008 Champion older horse Duke of Marmalade (Juddmonte International, King George, Prince of Wales's, etc.).

Fourth dam is uber-broodmare Lassie Dear (A.P. Indy, Summer Squall, Lemon Drop Kid, Honor Grades, etc.).

Caviar Czar's sire, Medaglia d'Oro, in addition to siring slow 3yo fillies (Rachel Alexandra, Elate, Songbird, Plum Pretty) has sired numerous Grade 1 turf winners and overseas champions. He himself was by top turf stallion El Prado (Kitten's Joy, Artie Schiller, Timo, etc.).

Caviar Czar had two blistering works over the Belmont turf course in June, both bullets at 1/2 mile. Not sure what the delay was making his turf debut, but last race was off-the-turf. John Velasquez opts for this over stablemate Master Plan.

He was an MTO in that race.

While it's strange it's taken this long to run him on the turf, my guess is that after the race, it won't seem so strange. Still, you have to toss him in multis.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:16 AM
The Curragh

Rabbit not allowed entry to Woodward:

http://www.drf.com/news/paoluccis-ra...oodward-stakes

What do you guys think? I can see both sides.

Last edited by Kasept : 08-31-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:39 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
Rabbit not allowed entry to Woodward:

http://www.drf.com/news/paoluccis-ra...oodward-stakes

What do you guys think? I can see both sides.
Cautious Giant was entered as a rabbit in the Whitney, set the pace for about a 1/2 mile and even threw a shoe at his target (Gun Runner) and still couldn't soften him up.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:44 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Cautious Giant was entered as a rabbit in the Whitney, set the pace for about a 1/2 mile and even threw a shoe at his target (Gun Runner) and still couldn't soften him up.
Baffert will have a real rabbit in collected for the BC
Old 08-31-2017, 06:54 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
He was an MTO in that race.

While it's strange it's taken this long to run him on the turf, my guess is that after the race, it won't seem so strange. Still, you have to toss him in multis.
Thanks, I failed to do all the proper research, just presumed they were pointing for the grass with those two bullet works back in June. Kind of hard to think he didn't handle it based on the times, but perhaps the clockers (and Pletcher) weren't impressed.

I guess there's always the Discovery to point for. At least I got a Timo reference in there.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:00 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
Baffert will have a real rabbit in collected for the BC
Cupid, with his horrendous running style (blows turns, lugs in, stays on wrong lead) is the real secret weapon. He can play the rabbit, float horses wide, and impede them on the rail in the stretch. About the only thing he doesn't do is break poorly, which would have been good for clobbering some rivals at the start penalty free.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:54 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Cupid, with his horrendous running style (blows turns, lugs in, stays on wrong lead) is the real secret weapon. He can play the rabbit, float horses wide, and impede them on the rail in the stretch. About the only thing he doesn't do is break poorly, which would have been good for clobbering some rivals at the start penalty free.
I know its sad, but I laughed.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:37 PM
Oriental Park

Only chance has of winning for Rally Cry is to be ridden aggressively and try to run him off his feet, if he cedes another candy trip to Gun Runner I doubt he can pass him when it matters.

Riders are rarely that aggressive on this circuit so I expect a nice slow pace jog win for Gun Runner.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:16 PM
Oriental Park

I think I could have timed the last quarter of the Spinnaway with a sun dial.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10 pnt move up View Post
I think I could have timed the last quarter of the Spinnaway with a sun dial.
Horribly slow race, the 6th, a maiden, went more then one second faster. Unless the track changed drastically this is a sad Grade One effort.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:35 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgustafson View Post
Horribly slow race, the 6th, a maiden, went more then one second faster. Unless the track changed drastically this is a sad Grade One effort.
The pace was better than average but that race is weak all around.

Of course I fell for all the Seperationofpowers is the next great thing and singled her, when I knew she road a gold rail to the big win.
Old 09-02-2017, 05:50 PM
Oriental Park

wow, this horse has gotten really good, that was his best race to date.