Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Non-Thoroughbred Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2007, 03:09 PM
Morris Park

Default Fixed race at Cal Expo

Not suprised about this. Cal Expo,along with Northfield are probably the two most crooked tracks in the United States.

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Two more people have been arrested in connection with the investigation into alleged race-fixing at the Cal Expo harness races, the state attorney general's office confirmed Friday.
Authorities said Jason Maier, who was the winning driver in the race in question, has been charged with conspiracy and grand theft. Both are felony charges.
Maier's brother, Daniel, was arrested last week in New York and is accused of organizing the alleged scheme.

Also arrested was Todd Ratchford.
Authorities said Ratchford finished third in the race in question and has been charged with accepting a bribe to not do his best, conspiracy and grand theft -- all felonies.
Maier and Ratchford were booked in the Sacramento County Jail and later released on bail.
The harness races at Cal Expo are run by the Sacramento Harness Association.
Calls from KCRA 3 to the Sacramento Harness Association seeking comment Friday afternoon have not been returned.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Oriental Park

Im shocked Plano isnt involved. He was banned from NFP for fixing races.
Old 01-20-2007, 03:12 PM
Morris Park

hahaha, that's what me and my uncle talked about last night. He and his son Luke have the market cornered here, I'm surpised they get away with it so easily, but then these small time drivers get busted.
Old 01-21-2007, 08:33 AM
Oriental Park

Plano has been known to pull what I call "Plano Magic" Its when hes on a 1-5 trotter and magically he breaks stride while 5 lengths in front of the field. After the horse breaks Plano will not regather the break, he will let the horse finish under a full gallop and be DQ'd. This is commonly called Plano Magic. Another driver with the wand to do the magic is Dave Palone, at The Meadows, in his case its called Palones Magic. The same basic idea just happens a little less. In both cases its hilarious and brutal at the same time. I dont bet buggy horses but between thoroughbred action I do watch others lose their money.

You know how to find the chalk in a trot race?

First horse to break
Old 01-21-2007, 02:40 PM
Morris Park

I agree lol, I've seen it happen with Rick alot, i've also seen him block other runners and even if he has the best horse he let's his son shoot through, while he blocks other runners. I remember once rick was on a 1-5 and Luke was on a 17-1, Rick clearly had the best horse, he blocked all comers on the inside and he lead until the final 8th pole but he didn't hit his horse one time, then all of a sudden luke comes shooting through and rick makes his horse look like it took a bad step and lukes horse comes through to win it.

I should stay away from the Buggy's but sometimes that's all I'm able to bet on, they should refund money for horses that break before the start of the race. IMO
Old 01-22-2007, 08:14 AM
5'8".. but all man!

Im telling you guys....Balmoral is the only harness track where everything is on the up and up
Old 01-23-2007, 10:42 AM
Morris Park

Yup, can't go wrong with Micheal Oostig (spelling?) stiffing 1/5 favorites and then bringing home a 30-1 in the next race lol. Meadowlands is the only somewhat "honest" harness track, IMO.
Old 01-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Morris Park

Well, even if they do fix races alot, as long as you're on the right side of it, that's all that matters. lol I think i've been on the right side of their cheating before, I just hate when they stiff favorites or you know when a horse should be coming 2nd or 3rd but the driver doesn't even make a decent effort.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:30 AM
Havre de Grace

Somebody coulda 'splained that to me 300.00 ago!!