Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2020, 11:23 AM
Havre de Grace

Default Venue for 1/25

Gulfstream. Where else? 9 stakes with 6 of them graded. I'm sure everyone wants to see the Pegasus although there are those that think it lost some of its luster without Maximum Security. Still an interesting race in my opinion.

We won't have as much time to study as with the Bayou races, but I think that's good. With all that time, I made a stack of notes so big it would have rivaled the New York phone book or maybe a copy of The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I hate it when I do that. Definitely Obsessive/Compulsive and did me no good at all. except in the Points picks.

Will have to wait for the PPs on Wednesday to figure out which races.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:45 PM
Oriental Park

Perfect call. Gulfstream has really put together a blockbuster card and I imagine that the wagering handle will reflect that.

I am more than a little curious whether we will be able to notice any difference in the outcome of either the Pegasus World Cup or the Pegasus Turf due to the restriction on use of Lasix in both of those races. Do any runners who customarily use Lasix need to be downgraded in handicapping because of that?

Cal, I got a big kick out of your reference to William Shirer's weighty tome. I wonder whether it is still read today as it was in the early 60's or whether its sheer length tends to discourage all except the most enthusiastic readers.
Old 01-20-2020, 02:14 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
Perfect call. Gulfstream has really put together a blockbuster card and I imagine that the wagering handle will reflect that.

I am more than a little curious whether we will be able to notice any difference in the outcome of either the Pegasus World Cup or the Pegasus Turf due to the restriction on use of Lasix in both of those races. Do any runners who customarily use Lasix need to be downgraded in handicapping because of that?

Cal, I got a big kick out of your reference to William Shirer's weighty tome. I wonder whether it is still read today as it was in the early 60's or whether its sheer length tends to discourage all except the most enthusiastic readers.
I think I read it, but not totally sure. I haven't read much that is that long lately, but I have read some books that probably approach being that long. I like some of the Ken Follett books like Pillars of the Earth and really just about anything he writes and I have read several James Michenor novels that are pretty lengthy like Texas and Poland. I guess some people still read such lengthy books. Probably not the younger generation and for the most part the books I read now are not all that long.

I have no clue about your question about Lasix. I will just ignore that they are not getting it and hope for the best.

Last edited by cal828 : 01-20-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:09 PM
Havre de Grace

PPs are finally up for Pegasus card. We could start with Race 3 at 12:28 Eastern(10 races) or Race 5 at 1:27 Eastern(8 Races). If we start with Race 3 we get all the stakes races and only 1 Maiden race. If we start with Race 5 we lose both maiden races and 1 turf sprint stakes. Any opinions or preferences?
Old 01-22-2020, 08:43 PM
The Curragh

MY VOTE

START WITH R#3 TO INCLUDE ALL STAKES

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 01-23-2020, 12:14 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFIAN-333 View Post
MY VOTE

START WITH R#3 TO INCLUDE ALL STAKES
I agree that sounds like the better choice. 10 races always sounds like a good number to me and I say that's what we do.
Old 01-23-2020, 01:50 PM
Oriental Park

Omaha Beach scratch, according to DRF, is too bad and leaves the race wide open for betters and head scratching. Sorry to hear that and what could be a career ending deal. Who will take over as the favorite??? I think we will only know when the starter opens the gates.
Old 01-23-2020, 02:27 PM
Oriental Park

First Spun to Run is out, now Omaha Beach is scratched and will probably be retired. I suppose that the [lukewarm] favorite's role devolves to Mucho Gusto or perhaps Higher Power. It certainly makes for a more competitive race, but a lot of the star power is gone.
Old 01-23-2020, 03:34 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
First Spun to Run is out, now Omaha Beach is scratched and will probably be retired. I suppose that the [lukewarm] favorite's role devolves to Mucho Gusto or perhaps Higher Power. It certainly makes for a more competitive race, but a lot of the star power is gone.
Higher Power ought to be the favorite since he appears to be the only G-1 winner, I think, but who knows? Mucho Gusto wouldn't surprise too much because of connections.