Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2006, 08:09 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffymommy
Drift didn't see Seek Gold so I wouldn't call it hanging but more of a once I got the lead kinda easied thinking I had it. Even Seek Gold's jockey said, "i kept him away from Drift so he wouldn't see him and fight back."

Maybe he doesn't win alot, but dang the old guy has got heart and tries everytime. Give him his props for a very nice race on Saturday and quit trying to bash him. I don't see Funny Cide running like Drifty did Saturday nor Evening Attire. Give props where they are due. Drifty still has enough class to run with the top tier horses, he may not win, but he will get a check.

I for one am a big fan of this horse as most of you know. But if I was a person just watching racing for the first time and saw that race on Saturday by a 7 year old gelding, I may have been more intrigued to watch some more. So give Drifty some props. I think he is a damn good representative for racing.
Buffy I think everyone loves this horse and his story. Noone is bashing him. Its very frustrating watching him come so close but refusing to win due to that quirk, and like Steve says, you can't train that out of him. Some damn good jockeys have tried to get him to pass and they just can't do it.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Buffy I think everyone loves this horse and his story. Noone is bashing him. Its very frustrating watching him come so close but refusing to win due to that quirk, and like Steve says, you can't train that out of him. Some damn good jockeys have tried to get him to pass and they just can't do it.
But honestly, I don't think that was why he lost on Sat. I think if his jock had seen Seek Gold earlier, he would have won the race.

Just give the horse his props for running an awesome race and forget about talking about the "hanging". Everyone on this board would like to own a "hanger" like him.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Have they given out the Beyers for this race yet?

I was busy all weekend and just saw the race, but I thought Ateam said the fillies ran faster. He's a nice horse and it's great he's still running, can't bash anything about that...
Old 06-19-2006, 08:25 AM
oracle80

Quote:
But honestly, I don't think that was why he lost on Sat. I think if his jock had seen Seek Gold earlier, he would have won the race.

Just give the horse his props for running an awesome race and forget about talking about the "hanging". Everyone on this board would like to own a "hanger" like him.
buffy hes the greatest hanger i ever have seen.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:37 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
buffy hes the greatest hanger i ever have seen.

BITE ME!
Old 06-19-2006, 08:38 AM
Secretariat

PD continues to amaze even at this age.
The son of Dynaformer, one can only wonder what Barbaro , another son of his would have turned out to be.
But in the meantime, PD continues to lead the league as the current active leading runner by lifetime accumulated on track earnings with what, maybe 4.5 million now.
I look for him to pass 5 million this year, and if he hits the board in the BCc, he may whind up in the top ten list of all time money earners joining, Pleasantly Perfect, cigar, smarty jones, fantastic light, and others of that caliber.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:41 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat
PD continues to amaze even at this age.
The son of Dynaformer, one can only wonder what Barbaro , another son of his would have turned out to be.
But in the meantime, PD continues to lead the league as the current active leading runner by lifetime accumulated on track earnings with what, maybe 4.5 million now.
I look for him to pass 5 million this year, and if he hits the board in the BCc, he may whind up in the top ten list of all time money earners joining, Pleasantly Perfect, cigar, smarty jones, fantastic light, and others of that caliber.

Honestly, I hope he wins the classic and moves up there with them. He deserves it. Hard trying horse all the time, hanging or not, he at least shows up in his races. (well, maybe not the last grass race he ran, but 99% of his races he is up there).
Old 06-19-2006, 08:43 AM
oracle80

He certainly loves playing the game. I just wish he could hit the wire first. No way you can help but like this horse.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:59 AM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
Steve and I ... and many other keen racing observers ... are correct about him ... he pulls himself up when no one is in front of him ... that's why he has so many places and shows relative to his wins.
Keen race observer...OK.
Also modest. You forgot to add that.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:04 AM
boldruler

He should be a serious threat in October on that same track. Bet the farm to place/show on him, but betting that horse to win is asking for it.
Old 06-19-2006, 11:09 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:

You think Gomez could get him to run?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:10 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by chupster2
I can't believe Bailey and Moss, "is he good enough to win a Classic".
As though he were 14 lengths behind SL last year. Or "can he keep his form". Why not? He has ever other year.

GO DRIFTY!!!!! Love you FOREVER.
Thats just it, he's not good enough Seek Gold ran him down for Christsakes, Brass Hat didn't show up and Buzzard's Bay ran a clunker, he couldn't get withing sniffin distance of Lava Man or the top handicap horses, he is what he is, a nice money making under-achiever, he will never win the Classic.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:14 PM
oracle80

I love it when so,eone comes along and says what I have been dying to say but don't because I don't wanna get a "you are mean" tossed at me. Lharge, Buzzard bounced off his huge race the time before and didnt run, hat got Dubai'd, Wiggins got steadied 14 times in the turn and stretch, etc. The race fell apart completely and the figure will not be upper echelon quality. Drift is a neat horse and story and I always root for him to win one, but I don't see that race as breakthrough stuff.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Secretariat

i think this horse has won placed and shown in three additions of this race, as that ever happened before in a graded stakes race ?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:16 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE
Thats just it, he's not good enough Seek Gold ran him down for Christsakes, Brass Hat didn't show up and Buzzard's Bay ran a clunker, he couldn't get withing sniffin distance of Lava Man or the top handicap horses, he is what he is, a nice money making under-achiever, he will never win the Classic.
He beat them (BH & BB) though. Had Guidry been able to see Seek Gold before the last second, Drifty would have won. Lots and lots of horses ease up when they make the lead. Nothing to run at. Drifty thought he was clear. Seek Gold snuck up on him. Drifty would have fought back had he seen him.

Just remember, everyone said Concern was always a bridesmaid and never a bride. Yet, what race did he win at the end of the year? hmmmmm....
Old 06-19-2006, 12:19 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
I love it when so,eone comes along and says what I have been dying to say but don't because I don't wanna get a "you are mean" tossed at me. Lharge, Buzzard bounced off his huge race the time before and didnt run, hat got Dubai'd, Wiggins got steadied 14 times in the turn and stretch, etc. The race fell apart completely and the figure will not be upper echelon quality. Drift is a neat horse and story and I always root for him to win one, but I don't see that race as breakthrough stuff.

St. Liam only lost to RH10 because of the concrete dirt in Cali. Excuses, excuses...

My point is who got the bigger paycheck on Saturday? BB, BH or PD?
Old 06-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Well Oracle I tend to call it as I see it, I love horses, adore them in fact and own 6 of my own. This horse is a moneymaker, that can't be denied, but to me he is gutless and a cheater, he doesn't want to win, that is a quality Ihate in a horse, if people think this horse has heart, they are poorly mis-guided, heart was demonstrated in the prior race, Happy Ticket has 10 times the heart of Perfect Drift.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:34 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by LARHAGE
Well Oracle I tend to call it as I see it, I love horses, adore them in fact and own 6 of my own. This horse is a moneymaker, that can't be denied, but to me he is gutless and a cheater, he doesn't want to win, that is a quality Ihate in a horse, if people think this horse has heart, they are poorly mis-guided, heart was demonstrated in the prior race, Happy Ticket has 10 times the heart of Perfect Drift.

A cheater? now I know you guys are just trying to get me all riled up.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:37 PM
oracle80

Quote:
A cheater? now I know you guys are just trying to get me all riled up.
No Buffy, a cheater is a reference to a horse who doesnt give his all down the lane, pulls himself up.
And you don't seem to get it, hes won one race in like two years. Its hard to lable him anything other than the greatest damn bridesmaid in history, because thats what he is, and anyone would be so proud and happy to own him, its just frustrating because he never wins a dogfight.
Old 06-19-2006, 12:41 PM
Santa Anita

Whatever, I don't feel like arguing anymore today. Think what you will about the horse. He ran an awesome race on Saturday. Hanger, cheater, etc... call him whatever ya want. He is good for horseracing and you should say nothing bad about him.