Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2006, 06:00 PM
Arlington Park

Default Perfect Drift

Damn I love this horse!! What a great race he ran today....the old boy isn't done yet. Can you believe they let him get off at 10/1?
Old 06-17-2006, 06:08 PM
Morris Park

I can't believe Bailey and Moss, "is he good enough to win a Classic".
As though he were 14 lengths behind SL last year. Or "can he keep his form". Why not? He has ever other year.

GO DRIFTY!!!!! Love you FOREVER.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Keeneland

He's as game as they come.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

I was sitting right below where Murray Johnson and the connections were standing and they thought they had it at first. He was so thrilled with old PD's performance and I bet that loss hurt worse than any of the others.

I still can't believe he lost it, I had every cent I had left on him to win only and in doubles.

This one was worse for me than when Borrego came up and nipped him in the Pacific Classic.

Anyone have a link to the photo, I would like to see it.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:24 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Ask and ye shall receive...

http://i5.tinypic.com/14se8uv.jpg
Old 06-17-2006, 06:25 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

thanks ateam.

that one hurts me bad
Old 06-17-2006, 06:30 PM
Bold Brooklynite

It's really great to see these hard-hitting pros come back year after year.

But poor Perfect Drift still hasn't learned that you have to keep going after you pass all the other horses ... until the jockey says "Easy, boy!"

How many races has this gallant guy lost over the years ... because he stopped perservering in the final yards?
Old 06-17-2006, 06:32 PM
Morris Park

All it will take is one big one to shut people up and I am going to enjoy that moment....
Old 06-17-2006, 06:42 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
It's really great to see these hard-hitting pros come back year after year.

But poor Perfect Drift still hasn't learned that you have to keep going after you pass all the other horses ... until the jockey says "Easy, boy!"

How many races has this gallant guy lost over the years ... because he stopped perservering in the final yards?
For God sake, this horse has more heart than you could ever hope to.

Another great run by PD..... I thought he had won it but I'm thrilled all the same. Beating both Brass Hat and Buzzards Bay and still you critisize him??? Shame on you.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:56 PM
Arlington Park

Doesn't seem to me like Bold Brooklynite was really being critical. He called the horse "gallant" after all. I love Perfect Drift but he does tend to slow it down a little when he makes the lead. He still ran a hell of a race today though. A very nice second. To the person who said they had all their $ on PD to win I say, that is crazy. This horse always runs strong races, but he usually finishes 2nd or 3rd. Even if you don't usually place/show bet, this horse is BEGGING for across-the-board bets, especially when he is sent off at 10/1.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:56 PM
pgardn

Guys I love Perfect Drift also. One of the best names for a horse, I am sure DTS would agree. But PD was the beneficiary of death by speed at Churchill. Horses killing each other. Taking turns punching each other in the face.

The fractional times do not look exceptionally hot, but the race was a slugfest. I swear to God I hate this track. I cannot get anything right, so I rarely bet it. Too many quality horses. I will now retreat back to Lonestar.

BTW... Frankel's South American import got slapped in a big turf race on really soft going at LS. It rained pretty hard last night in Dallas. Horse wanted the lead in a bad way and got into early combat on very slow ground.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:59 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
Doesn't seem to me like Bold Brooklynite was really being critical. He called the horse "gallant" after all. I love Perfect Drift but he does tend to slow it down a little when he makes the lead. He still ran a hell of a race today though. A very nice second. To the person who said they had all their $ on PD to win I say, that is crazy. This horse always runs strong races, but he usually finishes 2nd or 3rd. Even if you don't usually place/show bet, this horse is BEGGING for across-the-board bets, especially when he is sent off at 10/1.
Well I'm sorry..... I might have been having flashbacks from other past Perfect Drift comments so excuse me please.....

Regardless, a very nice run by PD.

As usual.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:02 PM
Steve Byk

BB is right about the way Drift gets in front and waits on horses. Many, many horses do it. It has to do with the pack mentality and horses that follow or lead. He's not an alpha horse and when he gets to the front he looks around for the horse he thinks he sjould be following. There's not a lot you can do about it except as a jock time the move to get him to the wire perfectly on time. It's why he constantly falls short.

Perfect Drift was my '02 Derby horse and I've loved him too all these years. But he is a maddening horse to root for. Even the Foster win three years ago was a bit tainted in my mind as Albarado was so god-awful on Minehaft.

But he's a trooper, and knowing that the BCC is at Churchill, you can expect another brave try. He was 5th.. then 4th.. then 3rd.. I said last year that you can expect him to win the Classic in '07 at Monmouth...
Old 06-17-2006, 07:17 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Guys I love Perfect Drift also. One of the best names for a horse, I am sure DTS would agree. But PD was the beneficiary of death by speed at Churchill. Horses killing each other. Taking turns punching each other in the face.

The fractional times do not look exceptionally hot, but the race was a slugfest. I swear to God I hate this track. I cannot get anything right, so I rarely bet it. Too many quality horses. I will now retreat back to Lonestar.

BTW... Frankel's South American import got slapped in a big turf race on really soft going at LS. It rained pretty hard last night in Dallas. Horse wanted the lead in a bad way and got into early combat on very slow ground.
Pat,
Yes, I agree...GREAT name!
Many don't know that he's named for what you want your dry fly to do when it gently settles over the "honey hole". No drag.
Dances on the current...up comes a gaping mouth.
Still others don't know that I'm talking about trout fishing (LOL).

Perfect Drift showed heart. Almost caught a big one!
Maybe next. Don't think many saw Seek Gold.
Another cast.
DTS
Old 06-17-2006, 07:33 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downthestretch55
Pat,
Another cast.
DTS
Heck yes. Thats why I love this guy.
Bring back Evening Attire. We get Funny Cide in the mix, and everyone could watch the event from their favorite retirement home.
Old 06-17-2006, 07:49 PM
Santa Anita

I must admit, when I was watching the race I was jumping up and down screaming "come on old guy! Show those youngins how it's done!"

What an awesome race. Seek Gold's jock new to keep him away from Drifty or drifty would have won that race. Reminded me of the close race Silver Charm lost that way.

MY FAVE GUSTY GELDING! I will wear my hat proud!
Old 06-17-2006, 07:58 PM
Del Mar

I was kicking myself when he drew clear in the stretch for not betting him to win. I absolutely hated Buzzards Bay at 6/5 and didnt trust the only other horse I thought could beat Perfect Drift, Love of Money. I boxed those 2 and was in mental agony when Drift kicked clear from the contenders, Love of Money was deader than dirt.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:31 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
I was kicking myself when he drew clear in the stretch for not betting him to win. I absolutely hated Buzzards Bay at 6/5 and didnt trust the only other horse I thought could beat Perfect Drift, Love of Money. I boxed those 2 and was in mental agony when Drift kicked clear from the contenders, Love of Money was deader than dirt.
There was a lot of dirt out there after that little get together.
Old 06-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Morris Park

So, I have a sportswriter telling me that if PD ever won the BC that it would be because every other horse was crummy and that he doesn't *deserve* to win a 5 million dollar race. What the heck kind of logic is that? It's not like PD has not shown himself. Yeah, he hangs, but he could easily get a big one one day and he doesn't "deserve" it? So why don't we just send in ballots based on paper statitstics as to who gets to deserve to be in a race or win a race. When industry folk have these kind of blinkers on, it is no @#$#$ wonder that racing doesn't enjoy the status it once did on a national scale. PD is the kind of horse people LOVE to watch and there is no one out there making historic moves on the the tracks, no Dr. ***er's, no Secretariat's, so just what is the point if you can't love a horse like PD and what is the point if you have to have some "super criteria" to "deserve" to be in a certain race. Good lord. If he consistantly came in last every year in the BC OK, I might concede, but he only improves. Grrrrrrr.
Old 06-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Monmouth Park

Just waiting for Joel to come in and **** all over Perfect Drift like he did Funny Cide. JUST KIDDING JOEL!!!!