Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2006, 12:41 PM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
That's what we were thinking when you posted it, it was almost amazing the tenacity you defended that statement with, at least you admitted you were wrong when I told you to pull up the results of the last race at CD on the Friday after Thanksgiving in 2004...
I never posted that and I am not this person you think I am. Not that it matters. The Big A had a real nice two year old allowance race over the weekend. Sagamoon looked very impressive. I could see this horse making a little noise in the future.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:43 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
When a horse coming off a huge top that was good enough to win the race, but an automatic toss coming off that top, wins, there's no doubt there's a bias...

Thor's Echo

You could also see it in the first race, when PVals horse won...
If it were just Thor's Echo, there would be plenty of doubt. Just like there is plenty of doubt that coming off a big top creates an automatic toss. I certainly don't buy that line of thinkiing.

Thor's Echo has done nothing wrong all year. He was one of the most likely horses to win that race. The bias may have increased the margin he won by, but chances are he would still have won.

--Dunbar
Old 11-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar
If it were just Thor's Echo, there would be plenty of doubt. Just like there is plenty of doubt that coming off a big top creates an automatic toss. I certainly don't buy that line of thinkiing.

Thor's Echo has done nothing wrong all year. He was one of the most likely horses to win that race. The bias may have increased the margin he won by, but chances are he would still have won.

--Dunbar
Especially since it was the second race off a layoff which often leads to a big race. It is called bounce THEORY for a reason. In reality what is perceived as a bounce is really just regression to the mean after a big race.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:15 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Especially since it was the second race off a layoff which often leads to a big race. It is called bounce THEORY for a reason. In reality what is perceived as a bounce is really just regression to the mean after a big race.

Actually, I have heard and read it's 3rd off the layoff that's the best and produces the best results...

Yes, a bounce is sometimes a regression back to the mean, but his mean was not good enough to win the race, his best was, but he ran his best by a large margin in the last race and was set for a bounce...It's a theory and sometimes doesn't hold true, because these are horses not machines...

Like I said, if my laptop wasn't broken I would go back and watch the race, but I believe there was a definite rail bias, I read somewhere that they fixed the track after the Distaff(if this is incorrect someone say so), maybe that's why Invasior and Bernardini weren't effected by it...

Let's see how some of these come back and run, I think Scuds pointed out one that won already while racing wide, I think we will see many more...
Old 11-21-2006, 02:19 PM
Flemington

"Under a beautifully judged ride by jockey Corey Nakatani, Thor's Echo saved ground while chasing embattled leaders Bordonaro and Attila's Storm down the backstretch, angled out three wide before eventually wresting control at the top of the stretch, then drew off with complete authority. Friendly Island also benefited from his inside post, saving ground into the stretch before easing out and outfinishing fellow longshot Nightmare Affair by a half-length for second."-DRF

"At first we were really down about drawing the rail but after watching the earlier races we really started to get excited because it was obvious the rail was the place to be and we even started joking about how we could probably sell that post for good money before the race,"-O'Neill

"When we talked to Corey in the paddock me and the owners both said at the same time to just stay on the rail," O'Neill explained. "And even though the post helped, Corey did a fantastic job maneuvering him out like he did."

Nakatani said he wanted to stay on the rail as long as he could but once leaving the backstretch had no choice but to angle out and go after the leaders.On the turn I had so much horse that if I had stayed on the rail much longer I would have run over the ones in front of me," said Nakatani
"As we got to the quarter pole I decided we should just go and put the race away now."-DRF

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 11-21-2006 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Actually, I have heard and read it's 3rd off the layoff that's the best and produces the best results...

Yes, a bounce is sometimes a regression back to the mean, but his mean was not good enough to win the race, his best was, but he ran his best by a large margin in the last race and was set for a bounce...It's a theory and sometimes doesn't hold true, because these are horses not machines...

Like I said, if my laptop wasn't broken I would go back and watch the race, but I believe there was a definite rail bias, I read somewhere that they fixed the track after the Distaff(if this is incorrect someone say so), maybe that's why Invasior and Bernardini weren't effected by it...

Let's see how some of these come back and run, I think Scuds pointed out one that won already while racing wide, I think we will see many more...
That would mean he should be sitting on a big one in the De Francis then unless you think the last two have taken a lot out of him.

That previous form was from early in the year which was essentially the extension of a long 3yo season, it isn't like he was running a 106 all year and then suddenly pulled off a 116. He could have just badly needed a break and some time to mature into a very good 4yo.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Flemington

"..On the day of the Breeders' Cup, however, the inside part of the track was clearly an advantage; four of the five championship races run on the dirt were won by the horse breaking from the No. 1 post position. Dreaming of Anna led all the way to win the Juvenile Fillies as Octave followed her along the rail to finish second. Street Sense hugged the rail as he rallied to upset the Juvenile, paying $32.40. Round Pound, a 14-1 shot, stayed near the rail and won the Distaff, paying $29.80. The Sprint produced a $965.80 exacta that could only be explained by its winning post position numbers: 1 and 2.

Horses who tried to rally in the middle of the track seemed to lose their momentum and were outkicked by horses nearer the rail. Invasor was the only one able to win with an outside rally, but even he had managed to stay near the inside until he turned into the stretch. Trainer Kiaran McLaughlin rightly hailed the effort by jockey Fernando Jara: "It was an exceptional ride from the 11 post. To get over and be in the two-path round the first turn was unbelievable."-ANDY BEYER

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 11-21-2006 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:34 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
That would mean he should be sitting on a big one in the De Francis then unless you think the last two have taken a lot out of him.

That previous form was from early in the year which was essentially the extension of a long 3yo season, it isn't like he was running a 106 all year and then suddenly pulled off a 116. He could have just badly needed a break and some time to mature into a very good 4yo.

I am not looking at Beyers, Thorographs go pull them up they are free...

Depending on when the DeFrancis is, it may not matter, it's 3rd start off of a layoff of 60 days or more, if the Defrancis is in February, he'll be plenty ready to roll...I believe he bounced in the BC, but his rail aided trip, he still got it done...
Old 11-21-2006, 02:39 PM
Flemington

"Horses who tried to rally in the middle of the track seemed to lose their momentum and were outkicked by horses nearer the rail."-Beyer

"Horses who tried to rally in the middle of the track seemed to lose their momentum and were outkicked by horses nearer the rail."-Beyer

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 11-21-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:42 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
I am not looking at Beyers, Thorographs go pull them up they are free...

Depending on when the DeFrancis is, it may not matter, it's 3rd start off of a layoff of 60 days or more, if the Defrancis is in February, he'll be plenty ready to roll...I believe he bounced in the BC, but his rail aided trip, he still got it done...
I'm sure the thorographs show a similar trend, was fairly consistent before the layoff and came back much improved.

The DeFrancis is this weekend.
Old 11-21-2006, 02:55 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
I'm sure the thorographs show a similar trend, was fairly consistent before the layoff and came back much improved.

The DeFrancis is this weekend.

If it's this weekend, he should be okay, because I believe his bounce race was in the BC...

I'll look tonight at the Thoro's and get back to you tomorrow, I have a pretty good memory, from what I remember it was about a 4 point top if not more, but I'll admit if I was wrong on that...
Old 11-21-2006, 03:00 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER

Say it again. I didn't hear you!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:06 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 11-21-2006 at 03:10 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:07 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club

Old 11-21-2006, 03:09 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Nope its not coming through. LOL!
Old 11-21-2006, 03:12 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
repeatledy quoting Beyer?

He went two deep to find Ouija Board.

He found nothing else on BC Day.

What's he gonna say?
Old 11-21-2006, 03:18 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid
Brother Derek didnt win and he was glued to the rail. He did run big though, but he was sitting on a big run. That track was fair
.. or else Brother Derek was not going to compete seriously going 10f and got carried by the bias.

I've heard it both ways.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
repeatledy quoting Beyer?

He went two deep to find Ouija Board.

He found nothing else on BC Day.

What's he gonna say?
He is gunna agree with Oracle,Myself,Doug O'neil,the owners of Thor's Echo,Corey Nakatani,Steve Byk,the owner of FLEET INDIAN,Joey(Ateam,)randallscott35,Lansdon Robbins etc.etc.etc.

Last edited by SCUDSBROTHER : 11-21-2006 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
He is gunna agree with Oracle,Myself,Doug O'neil,the owners of Thor's Echo,Corey Nakatani,Steve Byk,the owner of FLEET INDIAN,Joey(Ateam,)randallscott35,Lansdon Robbins etc.etc.etc.
Juf Filly... top3
Dream Anna... 4w early. hard to say she was bias aided. hard to say not.
Octave ... did ride inside
Cotton Blossom.... 4w, 5w

http://www.drf.com/drfPDFChartRacesI...=cd1104030.pdf
Old 11-21-2006, 03:36 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
It is called bounce THEORY for a reason. In reality what is perceived as a bounce is really just regression to the mean after a big race.
Well put, Sniper. IMO, people would do much better to think in terms of "Regression to the mean" than "bounce". People use "bounce" as if the horse is going to come back and run worse than it did before the big fig. I've never seen anything more than isolated anecdotal evidence to support that.

When I'm faced with a horse that ran very big last time out, I'll usually start with a speed fig that is between the high one and the race or 2 before that. The younger the horse, the more I am willing to weight the recent high fig.

--Dunbar