Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
And another thing ...

... and this particularly applies to the NYRA ...

... whenever a graded stakes races is run at ... say ... 9f around two turns on dirt ... why is it that none ... zero ... of the other nine races on the same card are run at that distance? Are the tracks oblivious to the fact that having some sort of yardstick for gauging the relative speed of stakes performances is very important?

It just buzzes me to see a 9f dirt stakes ... along with four turf races and five 6f sprints. How the heck can we get reliable speed ratings from cards like that?

Happens all the time in New York.
Brooklynite you might remember that the day they run the Belmont stakes they used to always run a starter allowance race at 1 1/2 mile.In fact i remember some of the horses names.On e of them was a horse called Rio Tunyan as well as Viborg.As i have stated before this sport lacks a rivalry and hasn't had one for years.There is so much money around to be made that owners and trainers have a smorgesboard of where they can go.I follow Mountaineer mostly and i see horses that have earnings of 600k and i say i've never heard of this horse.When i started following racing if a horse made 250k you knew who he was.
Old 10-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Santa Anita

JR Holmes won that 1 1/2 mi race the day Commendable won I believe. JR 's time was about .2 slower. i miss that race on Belmont day too.
Old 10-13-2006, 03:08 PM
Bold Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byebyemermaid
Brooklynite you might remember that the day they run the Belmont stakes they used to always run a starter allowance race at 1 1/2 mile.In fact i remember some of the horses names.On e of them was a horse called Rio Tunyan as well as Viborg.
That was when tracks were alert to the needs of the true racing fan ...

... now they're more concerned about t-shirts and bobbleheads.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:35 PM
Hialeah Park

Another brilliant quirk of the racing calendar I just noticed. There are only three races at six furlongs for older fillies and mares that are G1 or G2. Yet this year those three races were all scheduled in a 32 day span virtually guaranteeing that no horse would run in all three of them.