Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Steve Byk

Default A great day for the sport.

As we can all appreciate now, Saturday was a magical day of racing conducted by a proud racetrack to an appreciative throng of 85,000 and millions more that watched and wagered in parlors, ovals and at home. Those that choose to scoff and deprecate can wallow in their own misery. The rest of us had an instantly memorable day with friends old and new, made possible by generous equine athletes and intrepid human connections whom we revere and celebrate. In what turned out to be a remarkable epilogue to the week's turn of events, I hope all of you had a wonderful day. If you love the game, I know you did.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
As we can all appreciate now, Saturday was a magical day of racing conducted by a proud racetrack to an appreciative throng of 85,000 and millions more that watched and wagered in parlors, ovals and at home. Those that choose to scoff and deprecate can wallow in their own misery. The rest of us had an instantly memorable day with friends old and new, made possible by generous equine athletes and intrepid human connections whom we revere and celebrate. In what turned out to be a remarkable epilogue to the week's turn of events, I hope all of you had a wonderful day. If you love the game, I know you did.
It was a great day. We rode the train, and from the sound of the conversations around us, it was the first time to the track for a lot of people. After a gorgeous day like today, I can't imagine that many of them won't be back.

Not that I was able to cash a single damn ticket, mind you, but I'd rather lose money on a beautiful day at Belmont than anywhere else.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:30 PM
Churchill Downs

Win or lose, each Triple Crown race was thrilling this year. You would be hard-pressed to find a better advertisement for racing than having all three of its most-watched races being decided in the final 1/16th.

The most memorable moment for me was the Preakness. I had played Bodemeister and was counting my money at the top of the stretch. As IHA drew alongside Bodemesiter, I began partly rooting for IHA even though it was against my interests because I knew I was witnessing something special.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:00 AM
Churchill Downs

triple crown or not, that was an exciting finish to a competetive race.

i thoroughbred-ly enjoyed it.
Old 06-10-2012, 12:47 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Especially compared to boxing...
Old 06-10-2012, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think I would call it a "magical" day of racing.

* The Easy Goer was won by an N1X who got beat 15+ in the Preakness.

* The True North was won by a former claimer who Pletcher has done well with.

* The Just A Game was won by a mare who had just 1 win in her last 10 starts.

* The Woody Stephens was won by a horse who got beat 31+ lengths in the Kentucky Derby last out.

* The Manhatten was won by a French import who has never won a Group or Graded Stakes race before. He narrowly defeated a horse who was recently claimed.

* The Belmont was absent an I'll Have Another VS Bodemeister trilogy. Absent both horses.

And yet -- every single stakes winner on the card was VERY competitive on paper.

The only one of them that paid more than $9.20 to win was Desert Blanc.

But hey, over-the-top silly wins in 2012.

Just look at the championship boxing match tonight. The legendary Manny Pacquiao lands 253 punches -- Bradley lands 159 punches. Pacquiao's punches are clearly much more powerful. Bradley won the fight by split decision. Why? Because his trainer carried him on his shoulders after the fight and they acted like they won. Manny just acted like an honest fighter who did his routine work. One of the judges was a woman and the other judge is senile.

So hey, without a doubt, THIS WAS THE SINGLE GREATEST DAY IN THE HISTORY OF HORSE RACING OR SPORT IN GENERAL! Amaaaaaaaaazing!!!! All we need now is for someone to pick us up and carry us around on our shoulders.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:21 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Especially compared to boxing...
Just like Bradley -- it was a great effort put on and it was fun to watch -- it just wasn't good enough to win though.

Thankfully, though, the judges in horse racing very rarely screw up an outcome -- or even come into play much at all.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:29 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post

* The Just A Game was won by a mare who had just 1 win in her last 10 starts.

* The Woody Stephens was won by a horse who got beat 31+ lengths in the Kentucky Derby last out.
Wait a minute.

Tapitsfly was extremely impressive today, regardless of anything else--you can say she got the right set up on the right turf surface, but she still has to go out there and run a highly superior race--it just doesn't happen automatically. This is a factor that is somehow frequently overlooked even by those who should know better.

And the horse beat 31+ lengths in the Derby had no business being there, as we all said at the time, including you, because he is a stone sprinter. I was amazed how he so readily overcame the idiocy of his connections in pushing him into the Derby. He just seemed to shrug it off and was not "ruined" as some feared.

So, chill.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tector View Post
Wait a minute.

Tapitsfly was extremely impressive today, regardless of anything else--you can say she got the right set up on the right turf surface, but she still has to go out there and run a highly superior race--it just doesn't happen automatically. This is a factor that is somehow frequently overlooked even by those who should know better.

And the horse beat 31+ lengths in the Derby had no business being there, as we all said at the time, including you, because he is a stone sprinter. I was amazed how he so readily overcame the idiocy of his connections in pushing him into the Derby. He just seemed to shrug it off and was not "ruined" as some feared.

So, chill.
Trinniberg was obviously the most likely winner of that race on paper and is a very good 3yo sprinter.

Tapitsfly is a nice turf filly as well.

I had a real great time at the track today and enjoyed myself. I met a few DT posters at the track. I enjoyed the racing.

However...this was not "magical" horse racing. I love horse racing -- but you have to be honest with yourself and call it like you see it.

This guy was jumping up and down and his trainer picked him up and carried him on his shoulders after the fight tonight ...

The other guy punched way harder and landed much more often. Only thing is, he lost.

What kind of world do we live in where professional boxing judges can't competently judge a fight... and Kasept -- who I like -- thinks this racing today was "magical" -- it wasn't.
Old 06-10-2012, 02:36 AM
Goodwood

The two of you oughta watch the recent syfy channel classic movie release, Jersey Shore Shark Attack.

It was awesome. A bunch of Joisey Wops vs red eyed albino bull sharks from the bottom of the ocean!
Old 06-10-2012, 02:42 AM
Super Moderator

We live in a world where a high budget heavily marketed movie called "Abraham Lincoln -- Vampire Slayer" exists.

We live in a time where people use the Internet for crap instead of raping its valuable resources.

I never heard of Jersey Shore Shark Attack -- but I'm sure it's awesome.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:32 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calzone Lord View Post

What kind of world do we live in where professional boxing judges can't competently judge a fight... and Kasept -- who I like -- thinks this racing today was "magical" -- it wasn't.
You totally missed the point Doug which I guess I understand since you weren't there. Those that were anxious for the day to be spoiled had it shoved up their ass by an enthusiastic crowd that couldn't have been happier to be there. They ate, drank, bet their money and made the atmosphere as special as possible in lieu of the Triple Crown storyline.

Last edited by Kasept : 06-10-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:58 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
You totally missed the point Doug which I guess I understand since you weren't there. Those that were anxious for the day to be spoiled had it shoved up their ass by an enthusiastic crowd that couldn't have been happier to be there. They ate, drank, bet their money and made the atmosphere as special as possible in lieu of the Triple Crown storyline.
Not according to Mr Sunshine #2

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/i-ll-ha...nt-stakes.html
Old 06-10-2012, 06:13 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

forde is a doushe.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Who wanted the day spoiled?

The big NYC paper and PETA? The former just wants to impose their will to change the sport so they can pat themselves on the back. The latter is weird.

I've learned that Republicans and Democrats are not even political parties anymore. They are like the two sports teams with the two most myopic fanbases.

Just because one or two entities want to see failure to benefit their agenda -- doesn't mean those that don't like them should make it a Yankees VS Red Sox or Dem's VS Repub's.

To a fair judge -- reading stuff like "magical day of racing" and "intrepid human connections whom we revere and celebrate" and "had it shoved up their ass by an enthusiastic crowd" to describe yesterday is overblown hyperbole.

By the way...watch that fight from last night when you get a chance. Everyone is saying "boxing is now dead" and "RIP Boxing" on ESPN and in the press. That kid who won last night may have lost all 12 of those rounds -- but he fought a very brave and determined fight against a clear-cut superior fighter. He made the fight entertaining and worth the money. It's a shame he was getting so heavily boo'd by the crowd -- because he wasn't one of the guys scoring the fight.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Steve Byk

Doug.. make no mistake, there are people out there working to destroy the sport and cheer its' ruination. The way people were walking around Friday after the SCR, there was a legitimate pall over the joint. Here's Hegarty's doom and gloom piece from Friday for example (http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-stak...-take-huge-hit).

I wrote what I wrote last night because I had as fun an afternoon at the track as I can recall. I wasn't referring to the action on the racetrack. The people who came made the day magical by belying what might have been a deflating experience. No one was grousing about paying top dollar for tickets and being denied the TC try. They made the most of it and it was infectious. And the atmosphere just flew in the face of the oafs (especially from the media side) that refuse to see anything but the negative. And after, the same buzz was carried over with a party of 40 for dinner that had the same great day.

Tina and I couldn't have had more fun yesterday and I wanted to convey to those that couldn't be there how worthwhile emotional investment in the game is for anyone that doubts. I guess that's what I do 7 days a week.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead View Post
forde is a doushe.
I've never read a Forde horse racing column before -- and I'm pretty sure he's a general sports columnist.

80, 90, 100 years ago -- horse racing had a lot of truly great writers covering it in both the DRF and in the mainstream press.

The DRF writers started to shift in about the 1950's from hard-hitting, opinionated, rumor-laden, bettor oriented writers -- to good writers who preferred human interest stories and sappy, syrupy, cutesy stuff.

They're a lot better now than in like the 70's -- but much less interesting than the guys from the 20's.

The big difference is that the mainstream press and general sports writers handled horse racing very competently a long time ago. Now, they don't. Most of them are clueless and know absolutely nothing about racing.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Doug.. make no mistake, there are people out there working to destroy the sport and cheer its' ruination. The way people were walking around Friday after the SCR, there was a legitimate pall over the joint. Here's Hegarty's doom and gloom piece from Friday for example (http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-stak...-take-huge-hit).

I wrote what I wrote last night because I had as fun an afternoon at the track as I can recall. I wasn't referring to the action on the racetrack. The people who came made the day magical by belying what might have been a deflating experience. No one was grousing about paying top dollar for tickets and being denied the TC try. They made the most of it and it was infectious. And the atmosphere just flew in the face of the oafs (especially from the media side) that refuse to see anything but the negative. And after, the same buzz was carried over with a party of 40 for dinner that had the same great day.

Tina and I couldn't have had more fun yesterday and I wanted to convey to those that couldn't be there how worthwhile emotional investment in the game is for anyone that doubts. I guess that's what I do 7 days a week.
I hear what you're saying.

I had a great time yesterday as well watching the races from the track here and having my computer with me.

I'll Have Another VS Bodemeister round #3 with a triple crown on the line would have probably made the day less enjoyable for me. I wouldn't have been able to think about anything else without forcing it off my mind.
Old 06-10-2012, 07:07 AM
Hawthorne

Quote:

and the crescendo of negativity was well sprung by bob costa's hate piece interview with doug oneil who i must say handled the spanish inquisition like interrogation with skill and dignity
three cheers for all those that celebrate this great sport that offers something daily for die hard fans families and freshman alike
and now we can bask in anticipation of the spa and derby hopefuls
Old 06-10-2012, 07:30 AM
Churchill Downs

It was a good day of racing, but let's be honest about the big picture. Yes 88,000 showed up, but it would have been 120,000 so off 30%+. I suspect the off track wagering, and television numbers suffered similar fates. Good day- not so good weekend if you look at it from what was expected Thursday.