Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2006, 01:29 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Doesn't Will's Way stand in like West Virginia now?
Old 08-10-2006, 01:32 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Doesn't Will's Way stand in like West Virginia now?
Pennsylvania, I think.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:40 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Pennsylvania, I think.
Yes, he is up here in Pennsylvania.
Old 08-10-2006, 02:54 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Well of course, La Affirmed is impressive. Affirmed and Secretariat always have bad raps as producers, but if you look at their broodmares, they're dang impressive.
Yeah don't even get me started on fools who think Big Red was a "disappointment" as a stallion. He is without a doubt one of the top broodmare sires in the history of the sport. No question about that.
However that is not all he did, he also sired some great runners himself. His top two on the track were obviously Risen Star and Lady's Secret, and I think I would put those two up against the top colt and filly performers from almost any sire around.
Even his second-tier runners were multiple grade 1 winners like Tinners Way and General Assembly. You add those kind of on the track performances with his absolutley amazing success as a broodmare sire and Secretariat was without question a breed-changing type stallion.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:05 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
Yeah don't even get me started on fools who think Big Red was a "disappointment" as a stallion. He is without a doubt one of the top broodmare sires in the history of the sport. No question about that.
However that is not all he did, he also sired some great runners himself. His top two on the track were obviously Risen Star and Lady's Secret, and I think I would put those two up against the top colt and filly performers from almost any sire around.
Even his second-tier runners were multiple grade 1 winners like Tinners Way and General Assembly. You add those kind of on the track performances with his absolutley amazing success as a broodmare sire and Secretariat was without question a breed-changing type stallion.
Tinner's Way was a spectacular racehorse, but he hasn't done much in the shed, unfortunately. By far, my favorite Secretariat son is Innkeeper.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:09 PM
Balletto

Quote:
He saw some of the best mares in his day... so yes, a breed changing stallion, but his book afforded him all the success in the world. Its not just him carrying on through his daughters... those families are whats helping him. Either way though, gotta love him and worship him as a broodmare sire of sires.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Keeneland

Stupid question... but if I wanted to go to the OBS on August 21, am I allowed to go? In other words, can the public attend?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Balletto

Yes its open to the public. All public auctions are.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balletto
Yes its open to the public. All public auctions are.
Sorry... wasn't sure if it was or not. I've never been to one before. If you wanted to bid on something, what do you need to do in order to be a part of that?
Old 08-10-2006, 03:14 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
He saw some of the best mares in his day... so yes, a breed changing stallion, but his book afforded him all the success in the world. Its not just him carrying on through his daughters... those families are whats helping him. Either way though, gotta love him and worship him as a broodmare sire of sires.
True, but there are plenty of stallions who were so impressive on the track (Spectacular Bid etc.) that they were given their shot at the best mares early in their stud careers and yet didn't produce squat.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:19 PM
Keeneland

The Bid was another example of a good broodmare sire.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Balletto

If you wanted to bid you would have to open up a line of credit with the auction house, etc.

The Bid, in my opinion, is a very underrated broodmare sire. I love to see him in that spot. And trust me, I will never take away from Secretariat's accomplishments with his daughters! Love him...
Old 08-10-2006, 03:25 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

What were the progeny earnings of Secretariat? Also remember that he didn't get to stand quite as long as a lot of great stallions did (Storm Cat or Cozzene, for example). Secretariat was the same age as Pleasant Tap or Red Ransom or Royal Academy are now when he passed in 1989.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:29 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
The Bid was another example of a good broodmare sire.
Yes, but my point was simply that he is not in the same league as Sec in terms of being a broodmare sire even though he also saw the top mares. Sec also sired a HOY in Lady's Secret and a multiple classic winner in Risen Star, while The Bid never approached that.
My point wasn't really that the Bid was a complete failure or anything like that, but simply that Secretariat's remarkable success wasn't just due to the quality of the mares he was seeing.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Arlington Park

Balletto,

Holy crap! I just clicked on your myspace link. Are you seriously just 18? If so, how the hell do you know so much about racing and pedigree stuff? I'm impressed.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Yes, but my point was simply that he is not in the same league as Sec in terms of being a broodmare sire even though he also saw the top mares. Sec also sired a HOY in Lady's Secret and a multiple classic winner in Risen Star, while The Bid never approached that.
My point wasn't really that the Bid was a complete failure or anything like that, but simply that Secretariat's remarkable success wasn't just due to the quality of the mares he was seeing.
I'm not arguing with that. I agree completely.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Balletto,

Holy crap! I just clicked on your myspace link. Are you seriously just 18? If so, how the hell do you know so much about racing and pedigree stuff? I'm impressed.
I'm impressed too. She knows her stuff and it takes years to get that kind of knowledge.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:39 PM
Balletto

Quote:
Balletto,

haha yeah. I dont know, pedigrees just intrigue me. They're my "thing". Its almost a sick passion.

I think its fair to say that me, you and Cajun are all on the same page with Sec. We're just wording our arguments a lil differently.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:43 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
haha yeah. I dont know, pedigrees just intrigue me. They're my "thing". Its almost a sick passion.

I think its fair to say that me, you and Cajun are all on the same page with Sec. We're just wording our arguments a lil differently.
Yeah I think you are right about that. I am still freaked out by the fact that at 18 years old you know about 1000 times more than I do about this. But hey, that's cool.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:45 PM
Balletto

God, I just realized I may be socially retarded.