Old 05-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Terrain is good for fourth, right?
Old 05-05-2009, 03:03 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Terrain is good for fourth, right?
That's actually not a bad way to approach the race...worked last year with Racecar Rhapsody.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Arlington Park

Flying Private? Really?
I guess we shouldn't be shocked after the Going Wild nonsense from a few years ago....but come on.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:07 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
Flying Private? Really?
I guess we shouldn't be shocked after the Going Wild nonsense from a few years ago....but come on.
You don't think 8 starts in 17 weeks is a good idea for a horse with declining form?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:27 PM
Flemington

D. Wayne Woolley Jr. Lukas isn't affraid to run them or put them in crazy spots.

Heck - sometimes they even jump up and come through and he's called a genius and stuff. Most of the time though ... it's not so pretty.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Brian are you at all concerned with the sudden change of plans? Granted, when a horse like Mine That Bird wins the Derby, you have to look at the Preakness a little differently. But last week Romans thought the Preakness would be too much. Now they're going. Methinks Barry Irwin has Preakness fever.
I don't think it's much of a change of plans, because the Preakness was definitely on the table right after the Derby Trial. With that, unless between now and then they had completely backed off of him not expecting to race at all again anywhere anytime soon, the change of plans doesn't bother me. It seems like was on the radar to begin with, and like you say, obviously Mine That Bird makes it a whole lot more enticing.

He and Cash Refund have been my two most exciting horses of 2009, and neither has let me down yet.

DALE ROMANS (trainer of first-place finisher Hull) – “I loved what I saw out there today. He relaxed off the pace, and when the rider asked him to run, he really exploded. He’s as good as anybody around right now. He’s opened up in all three of his races. We entered in the Lexington but we had this race as our backup. Everything had to be perfect if he ran in that race (Lexington), because he was coming back so soon after the Turfway race (on April 2), and when he drew post 12, we didn’t hesitate to scratch him and point for this. We’ll take a look and see what happens in the Derby, who goes on from there and who doesn’t. The Preakness is a possibility for him right now.”
Old 05-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Dee Tee Stables

it sounds as tho musket man will be there. but no belmont-can't say i disagree with that strategy.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Didn't Lukas have one in this weekend that surprised? Not Orthodox surprised, but surprised nonetheless?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
Oaklawn

Tone it Down? That performance on Saturday left a lot to be desired...
Old 05-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Oaklawn

Just like there are(were) Golden Rules of Handicapping the Derby, the Preakness has some, too, just but a few.

The 105+ Beyer achieved in a route pre-Kentucky Derby(which only I Want Revenge ,Dunkirk and Quality Road had achieved), dips to a 104 par for the Preakness. Mine That Bird qualifies, as would Fresian Fire if he were able to run. Fresian Fire is also a big Preakness pick due to the frequency of Kentucky Derby ml and/or post time favorites returning to win the Preakness

Looking at Mine That Bird's current pp's, he either freaked in the slop or due to another reason, perhaps the crowd.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
This is from last Wednesday. It makes sense to go and I'll give him a long look, but I question the sudden change.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/103370.html

Hull points to Woody Stephens

Hull, who remained undefeated with his impressive four-length victory in last Saturday's Grade 3 Derby Trial, will most likely skip the Preakness Stakes and be pointed to the Grade 2, $250,000 Woody Stephens, a seven-furlong race at Belmont Park on June 6.

"The Woody Stephens would probably be the most logical spot," trainer Dale Romans said Wednesday. "He's never had a race around two turns. Coming back in three weeks against the best horses in the country, I just don't know that we want to push him that much."

Romans said the major goal for Hull is the Grade 1 King's Bishop at Saratoga on Aug. 29. Hull is owned by a partnership that includes Team Valor International, Gary Barber, and Heiligbrodt Racing.

Hull, a son of Holy Bull, improved to 3 for 3 with his victory in the Derby Trial, in which he covered 7 1/2 furlongs in 1:30.21. His three wins have come by a combined 16 lengths. He earned a Beyer Speed Figure of 92 for the Derby Trial.
maybe he thinks the best horses in the country will not be making the race, and hull stacks up well vs who can/will show up?
Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
Just like there are(were) Golden Rules of Handicapping the Derby, the Preakness has some, too, just but a few.

The 105+ Beyer achieved in a route pre-Kentucky Derby(which only I Want Revenge ,Dunkirk and Quality Road had achieved), dips to a 104 par for the Preakness. Mine That Bird qualifies, as would Fresian Fire if he were able to run. Fresian Fire is also a big Preakness pick due to the frequency of Kentucky Derby ml and/or post time favorites returning to win the Preakness

Looking at Mine That Bird's current pp's, he either freaked in the slop or due to another reason, perhaps the crowd.
I much prefer the buzzer theory.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
This is from last Wednesday. It makes sense to go and I'll give him a long look, but I question the sudden change.

http://www.drf.com/news/article/103370.html

Hull points to Woody Stephens

Hull, who remained undefeated with his impressive four-length victory in last Saturday's Grade 3 Derby Trial, will most likely skip the Preakness Stakes and be pointed to the Grade 2, $250,000 Woody Stephens, a seven-furlong race at Belmont Park on June 6.

"The Woody Stephens would probably be the most logical spot," trainer Dale Romans said Wednesday. "He's never had a race around two turns. Coming back in three weeks against the best horses in the country, I just don't know that we want to push him that much."

Romans said the major goal for Hull is the Grade 1 King's Bishop at Saratoga on Aug. 29. Hull is owned by a partnership that includes Team Valor International, Gary Barber, and Heiligbrodt Racing.

Hull, a son of Holy Bull, improved to 3 for 3 with his victory in the Derby Trial, in which he covered 7 1/2 furlongs in 1:30.21. His three wins have come by a combined 16 lengths. He earned a Beyer Speed Figure of 92 for the Derby Trial.
Gotcha -- so basically they changed their mind twice in a week, because I am pretty positive there was another article somewhere around Sunday talking about the Preakness too.

Either way, it makes me think he'll be ready to go, since I'm not quite sure what they would have done with him in those three or four days that would make him all of the sudden rushed into the Preakness. Sounds like they had a couple options on the table and have just had a tough time deciding which one they wanted. If they had decided next Wednesday that they'd like to go, I'd be a bit more concerned.

If he loses, my guess is that it will have just about everything to do with the fact that he doesn't handle two turns well or that he just isn't quite good enough, and just about nothing to do with the fact that they went Preakness-Stephens-Preakness in a matter of less than seven days.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Oaklawn

If I owned Hull I'd go... after that Derby result I would likely send any horse with a hint of ability. Not that I necessarily like him as a bettor, but as an owner, it makes a lot of sense.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:50 PM
Oaklawn

I think my stock answer for all comments regarding horse placement will be... "Hey, if Mine That Bird can do it..."
Old 05-05-2009, 07:04 PM
Woodbine

If Hull is confirmed, I really like him in this spot at first glance.
Old 05-05-2009, 07:09 PM
Coach Pants

I think Mine That Bird will repeat simply because everyone is dismissing him again. That and this 3 year old crop is suspect not on ability, but desire to win.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Cahokia Downs

The derby winner should not be discounted. Just what he did on the off track, beating the best 3yos in the country by 7 lengths, should make him the post time favorite, but he won't be. All the experts will think it was a fluke, But this is no fluke. This is one talented horse.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:46 PM
The Curragh

"Flying Private, the last-place finisher in the Derby, will run back in the Preakness, trainer D. Wayne Lukas told Pimlico officials Tuesday.

"We didn't get what we expected to get in the Derby," said Lukas, a five-time winner of the Preakness."

lol
Old 05-05-2009, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad
The derby winner should not be discounted. Just what he did on the off track, beating the best 3yos in the country by 7 lengths, should make him the post time favorite, but he won't be. All the experts will think it was a fluke, But this is no fluke. This is one talented horse.
LOLZ

Let's touch base again in 10 days or so, ok?