Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2020, 09:48 PM
Oriental Park

Default Off Topic but soooo Important . . . CV-19 and our Family

Our family here not my family, but that probably got your attention.

How are all of you doing with this pretty serious stuff . . . if you're not careful. I'm thinking of all of you and very interested in how you, family and loved ones are doing.

Patty, with her reduced immune system due to her meds and two autoimmune diseases is staying "locked down" in our little one BR apt. Out senior complex halted all group gatherings and activities a week or more ago, which is ery but called for. It's feels like a morgue but I hesitate to say that outloud. I'm doing the shopping and errands as needed which is the norm, mostly anyway, and we seem to be keeping stock of all we need with food and necessities in spite of all the crazies in the area around us. No TP but for some reason but I bought a 16 pack a week before all this came down. Luck or forethought, who knows. I know TMI!!!

Anyway we are holding our own for now. Others, let us know??? After all, we are a family!!!
Old 03-24-2020, 11:48 PM
Havre de Grace

On the TP thing, you might try early in the morning about the time that some stores open. I imagine that some of them are stocked at night. I couldn't find any here either, but I too had some rolls and I may try early too. Also couldn't find any hamburger meat and it looked like people bought a lot of soup. I guess that makes sense since you only have to warm it up. I bought a couple of cans and had some, but wish I hadn't. I am no great cook, but whatever I make is way better than anything that comes in a can, but the canned variety might get better, if I get hungry enough!!

CNN saying that New Jersey 2nd in people with infections only to New York. I know that 3 of our guys live in New Jersey. Hope they are ok. Not sure how many cases we have here in Arkansas. Probably not that many I would guess. However, I see that our neighbor to the south, Louisiana is now 3rd in cases so I guess the potential for it to come here may be getting greater.

Last edited by cal828 : 03-25-2020 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:10 AM
Oriental Park

Glad that you established this thread, and I hope that everyone posts on it and is well. We are staying in place and trying to maintain social distance, only going out when absolutely necessary. We are both in the vulnerable category, but my wife checks more boxes in that category so I have been the one to venture forth. So far, so good.

Here in CT the number of cases continues to increase every day. The greatest problem by far is in the County closest to the metro NY area, where many of the residents are commuters to NYC.

Schools in the state are all closed, so our younger grandchildren have been doing schoolwork online and having occasional online interactions with their teachers. It looks as if that will continue for a while, possibly even until the end of the school year.

Our oldest grandson lives with us and continues to go to his job, which gives us cause for concern both for him and for us. We try to maintain safe distances and fortunately have plenty of room to do so. But you can only do so much.

Our greatest worry is that our younger daughter works as an ER nurse and places herself in danger every day. By definition nurses can't always maintain safe distances from patients in their care. Her hospital has safety protocols in place, but they do not seem to have as much protective equipment as they should. There appears to be a large gulf between the massive support we are told about in daily briefings and the reality of supplies being available where they are most needed.

I'm worried for our family, friends and country, but still have a strong confidence that with good judgment and common sense we can get through this together. Hope all of you stay well.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:30 AM
Havre de Grace

My daughter is a health professional too as an OB/GYN Doc, but she probably doesn't have quite as much exposure as an ER Nurse would, but still when she is not seeing patients in a clinical setting she is delivering babies in the hospital. That equipment thing that you mention seems like a glaring government boondoggle. Watched a bunch of Governors of both Red and Blue states talk about this. They all seemed to be saying it's a free for all trying to obtain needed equipment as they have to compete with other states and with foreign entities for scarce equipment. Don't mean to be the voice of doom, but things are getting pretty scary for a lot of folks. Maybe not me in particular as I am pretty isolated from everyone, but still I fear for the safety of others.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:51 PM
Golden Gate

My son is an Occupational Therapist in a hospital in San Diego and found out yesterday that one of his patients tested positive. He's young and runs a lot, so we're hoping for the best. He doesn't have any symptoms yet...hoping he doesn't.

This is the 2nd week I've worked from home. Last week, I went to the office twice, but they're telling us to stay away as much as possible. I do have to go in tomorrow, though. There are just a few things I can't do at home.

Been trying to stay in as much as possible and my kids and I have been having video calls as much as possible. Since I live alone, it helps tremendously to hear another voice. I've been listening to a lot of music and Facebook has a lot of musical posts since this thing started. There's one from a symphony orchestra called "Bedtime with Bach" that's pretty soothing. Steve Martin did a banjo tune, which was really good. So I recommend trying to fill life with music as much as possible.

We'll get through this, but I think it's going to take longer than a few weeks. Virginia has a lot fewer cases than other states, but we're adding around 100 cases a day.

Stay safe, everyone!
Old 03-25-2020, 05:18 PM
Havre de Grace

If you like that sort of thing, YouTube full of music videos, but you probably already know that. I sometimes think of some tune I haven't heard in awhile and look it up and then see another tune on the listing on the right hand side of the page and another and another until I've watched and listened to a couple of hours worth. My taste in music ranges anywhere from Ernest Tubb to Phantom of the Opera and I often sing along. Good thing I live in a house on a large lot that is at least a 100 feet on both sides from my nearest neighbors. They probably wouldn't appreciate my screeching attempts at singing.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:03 PM
Oriental Park

I just watched the Steve Martin banjo clip, very cool. One of the funniest guys ever and there's always U Tube where you can find just about anything to watch. My favs would be Andy Griffith with Barney of course, MASH, The Three Stooges (I know it's a guy thing), cartoons with Bugs Bunny, Popeye, Foghorn Leghorn, and most any musical performance you would like.

Gotta get out early tomorrow on a quest for TP and lots more wine . Oh and Emma, our wonderful GWP, needs food too. Our daughter who lives close by always helps when she can. I was at her house on Sunday to pick up a couple tubs of clothes "Patty's Summer" things (half her garage is our storage unit for now) and she surprised me with large container of "Clorox Wipes". Felt like a just one the lotto. I put them in one of the tubs so if a I stopped a red light no one could see them and maybe mug me for them.

Stay safe all you good people and check on you loved ones and friends more than you ever did. A phone call is a wonderful thing right now.

And huge props to Ted Turner (TCM) allowing us to watch great, or not so great, "old movies" "Some Like It Hot" is on tonight . . . funny, funny movie. Seen it many times before but may take it in again.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:16 PM
The Curragh

Default Boulder

Since my normal routine does not involve interaction with many humans

These restrictions have not affected me very much
So I guess I’m one of the lucky ones

Groceries are delivered free from the market
So no need to be in public with shoppers

My time is spent visiting with my Horse at the barn

Handicapping horse racing contests, Mine Wednesday + Saturday + CTTP

Since I live in the foothills with footpaths leading to the lake
right across the street from my home

It’s a wonderful opportunity to enjoy nature ~ sunshine ~ blue sky
and my Pomeranian, QrFuffl

Evenings are spent being cozy with my DVR + My CAT AshAvAri

Plus Email + Phone with the few friends I enjoy

I am lucky to be one of those who is not really affected
But my heart Hurts for all the many who are

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 03-25-2020, 07:34 PM
Havre de Grace

"Gotta get out early tomorrow on a quest for TP"

You would think that these survivalists, end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it, hoarder types or whatever they call themselves would eventually max out and leave a few rolls for the rest of us. I have enough for now, but of course will have to hunt some down too. I usually buy Cottonelle brand. These are big thick rolls that last a very long time.
Old 03-25-2020, 10:50 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
"Gotta get out early tomorrow on a quest for TP"

You would think that these survivalists, end-of-the-world-as-we-know-it, hoarder types or whatever they call themselves would eventually max out and leave a few rolls for the rest of us. I have enough for now, but of course will have to hunt some down too. I usually buy Cottonelle brand. These are big thick rolls that last a very long time.
Not for us. Store brand but the bigger rolls. Cost's much less. Gotta make up somewhere for "more wine!!!".
Old 03-25-2020, 11:15 PM
Oriental Park

NEWS FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Find what's in stock at local stores near you.

Two University of Texas students created a website to show the most likely store in your areas to carry what you are looking for.

Go to Instok.org. No"c".
Type in you zip code and,
Then in the prompt window what you are looking for.

And start looking and scrolling.

I'm using their info for TP early tomorrow. I'll let you know if it worked. Those crafty Texas Longhorns. I'm assuming it works outside of Texas, I hope.