Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-24-2020, 06:59 AM
The Curragh

Default Probable Venue March 28

If Gulfstream continues to run that looks like the place to be. If any new information surfaces please share it here. Also if there is an alternative please post your comments. Stay safe and healthy.
Old 03-24-2020, 12:37 PM
The Curragh

I spoke with the racing office at GULFSTREAM yesterday
and they said that they plan to continue to run

of course that was yesterday

But, every new day brings Unexpected and scary changes

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 03-24-2020, 09:33 PM
Oriental Park

Lets play RQ's choice by ear . . . . Only the Shadow knows for sure!!!
Old 03-25-2020, 06:54 AM
Oriental Park

Came across the linked article at Horse Racing Nation. It is very curious, since the only person quoted was a "Vice Mayor", and no specific action by the City or the County as mentioned. This almost sounds like a one person crusade by this Vice Mayor that does not have the backing of those with actual authority to issue cease and desist orders.

GP is scheduled to run today. Their pre-race program should be interesting to watch. I guess that all we can do is watch and wait to see what happens. I'm sure that GP's management will do everything within their power to run their signature race.

https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...n_jeopardy_123
Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 AM
Havre de Grace

I kept thinking I was wasting my time before last weekend and that things would never go at Fair Grounds, but was proven wrong. So now I am thinking things are a go at Gulf so they will probably close down. My handicapping prognostications are no better than those about whether tracks will run or not. I am sure I am a biased horse racing fan, but seems to me that tracks have made an acceptable compromise by running without the in person attendance.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:20 PM
Havre de Grace

Looking like the Florida Derby will be 12 entries plus an A/E. That should be a tasty morsel for us to sink our teeth into. I was hoping they would move the 3 stakes on Friday to Saturday, but seems doubtful that will happen. it would have seemed like a better balance of dirt and turf, but I guess we just have to be glad for what ever we get.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:32 PM
Oriental Park

That's a very daunting card that was drawn today for Saturday's races. 14 races, of which 10 are called stakes, have a total, including AE's, of 185 entries. Many trainers have entered horses as if there were not going to be any racing for a while thereafter, and that might very well be the case.

I had read that the Racing Secretary was going to move the stakes races from Friday to Saturday, and indeed there are none on the Friday card. They must have decided not to run some of the planned races that didn't have large fields, opting for those with the largest number of entrants.

Saturday is a mandatory payout day for the Rainbow Pick 6. This morning the carryover pool was around $1.9 million, and it should grow rapidly through Saturday. Given the size of the fields, I suspect it will take a very large bankroll to assemble a ticket that has a fighting chance of hitting all 6.
Old 03-26-2020, 06:33 AM
The Curragh

I was undecided on the number of races to include cause they are all quite good but last year we did 4 to 14 and I guess this year we'll do the same under these crazy circumstances. Suggestions are always welcome if for no other reason than to pass quarantine time.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:23 AM
Oriental Park

I like it TRQ, Gulfstream 4-14!!!
Old 03-26-2020, 12:10 PM
Oriental Park

For anyone who wants to play the ROI in a very aggressive manner, GP has several featured wagers on Saturday, including

Mandatory payout of the Pick 6, beginning with Race 9. Today's carryover pool is about $2,000,000. With the massive amounts of new money that flow in on mandatory payout days, the expected pool [if not hit today or tomorrow] should exceed $5,000,000.

Late pick 5, beginning with Race 10. The guaranteed minimum pool is $400,000.

Late pick 4, beginning with Race 11. The guaranteed minimum pool is $500,000.

It may be time to tee it high and let it fly.
Old 03-26-2020, 12:18 PM
The Curragh

No Thanks

I Will Just Purrr Along As Usual

Cats ~ Kittens
Grays
Sires I Love

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 03-26-2020, 02:18 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
For anyone who wants to play the ROI in a very aggressive manner, GP has several featured wagers on Saturday, including

Mandatory payout of the Pick 6, beginning with Race 9. Today's carryover pool is about $2,000,000. With the massive amounts of new money that flow in on mandatory payout days, the expected pool [if not hit today or tomorrow] should exceed $5,000,000.

Late pick 5, beginning with Race 10. The guaranteed minimum pool is $400,000.

Late pick 4, beginning with Race 11. The guaranteed minimum pool is $500,000.

It may be time to tee it high and let it fly.
JB, are you putting up real MONEY???
Old 03-26-2020, 02:40 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
JB, are you putting up real MONEY???
Definitely not on the Rainbow 6. At first blush, it looks much too tough for even a modest sized budget to hit. Except perhaps for Zulu Alpha, there don't appear to be any free squares, so you need adequate coverage in each race to have any realistic chance. To try to hit all 6 with decent coverage, the cost adds up in a hurry, even at $0.20 per bet. If you go 3x3x3x3x3x3 the cost is $145.80. Doing the same with 4 deep is $819.20. If you split the difference and go 3x4x3x4x3x4 you pay $345.60. And there is bound to be at least one race [or more] in this group of very full fields where it may be necessary to go even deeper than 4. That cost is too rich for my blood. I am going to put something down of paper to see what it would look like.

Unlike some pick 6's, there are no consos for 5 of 6. You need to nail all of them to cash.

I think that this sequence is one for either large bankrolls or groups of players to pool their funds, build a larger ticket and hope for a life changing payoff.

Last edited by JolyB : 03-26-2020 at 02:59 PM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:45 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
Definitely not on the Rainbow 6. At first blush, it looks much too tough for even a modest sized budget to hit. Except perhaps for Zulu Alpha, there don't appear to be any free squares, so you need adequate coverage in each race to have any realistic chance. To try to hit all 6 with decent coverage, the cost adds up in a hurry, even at $0.20 per bet. If you go 3x3x3x3x3x3 the cost is $145.80. Doing the same with 4 deep is $819.20. If you split the difference and go 3x4x3x4x3x4 you pay $345.60. And there is bound to be at least one race [or more] in this group of very full fields where it may be necessary to go even deeper than 4. That cost is too rich for my blood. I am going to put something down of paper to see what it would look like.

Unlike some pick 6's, there are no consos for 5 of 6. You need to nail all of them to cash.

I think that this sequence is one for either large bankrolls or groups of players to pool their funds, build a larger ticket and hope for a life changing payoff.
YESSSSSSSSSSSS SIR!!!
Old 03-27-2020, 01:40 PM
Oriental Park

After a cursory study of the card, I'm pretty comfortable using Zulu Alpha as a single in the Pan American. That will let me put together a Rainbow 6 ticket that will fit within our ROI parameters.

Right now, I'm looking at a ticket that goes 3 x 3 x 3 x 1 x 4 x 4, with a total cost of $86.40. That leaves a little left over for a small "what if" backup ticket. Chances of hitting with this are pretty slim, but it should provide some rooting interest during the Fox Sports TV coverage tomorrow afternoon.