Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2018, 07:53 PM
Havre de Grace

Default Michael Wrona fired

Was he doing a poor job ? He seemed to being doing a good job. The Churchill stewards should be fired after yesterday’s incompetence/ corruption.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:03 AM
Delaware Park

Seemed to going a good job to me, looks like SA cleaned a few more on the in house feeds and AV from XBTV
Old 11-25-2018, 10:29 AM
Havre de Grace

"It has nothing to do with money," Wrona said. "My first contract had expired, and I thought I was meeting to kick on, but I was kicked out. (Ritvo) said it was nothing personal."

Multiple sources at The Stronach Group also said Santa Anita simulcast host Megan Devine has been dismissed, along with XBTV's Aaron Vercruysse and Richard Migliore

https://www.drf.com/news/michael-wro...nita-announcer

Blaise Pascal

Last edited by Kasept : 11-25-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:01 AM
Saratoga

Frank Mirahmadi...perhaps???
Old 11-25-2018, 01:45 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp0555 View Post
Frank Mirahmadi...perhaps???
I think Frank is the front runner.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:49 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
I think Frank is the front runner.
They have **** Pizza in California
Old 11-25-2018, 04:57 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
They have **** Pizza in California
Frank is Iranian, not Italian. But he does love pizza.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:46 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
Frank is Iranian, not Italian. But he does love pizza.
If you think I made my statement without knowing that he is obsessed with East Coast pizza you would be incorrect. His nationality never and would ever factor into my statement.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:59 PM
Fairgrounds

Wrona deserved better. Especially given the protracted process he had to go through to get the job. He is an excellent race caller and and a very nice man.

My guess is they go with Matt Dinnerman next. He already works for the company and would be less expensive. Plus, they may want to lock him up before another circuit lures him away. He is very good as well.

Paul
Old 11-25-2018, 07:58 PM
Delaware Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweizer View Post
Wrona deserved better. Especially given the protracted process he had to go through to get the job. He is an excellent race caller and and a very nice man.

My guess is they go with Matt Dinnerman next. He already works for the company and would be less expensive. Plus, they may want to lock him up before another circuit lures him away. He is very good as well.

Paul
Plus Matt is active on twitter, periscope, house handicapping and Stronach pick 5
Old 11-26-2018, 12:37 AM
Del Mar

Frank will get the job. Expect to hear the announcement soon.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:52 AM
Narragansett Park

Some of the most entertaining Saratoga Live/Belmont Live broadcasts this year came about when handicapping discussions came up with Frank. He was able to combine his Monmouth Park work with NYRA broadcasts when needed and was very solid in the booth since moving to Aqueduct.

Perhaps there is a financial component here that none of us will see, but it would seem strange to go back to a job for which you ran second unless you really wanted the job and had a financial incentive to take it. While Frank has been back and forth across the country, he always seemed to be an East Coast announcer from a style perspective - and a New Yorker at heart. After his health issues a time back, I thought he would be a permanent fixture here.

If this worst kept secret in horse racing this weekend is true, we should wish Frank nothing but good health and good luck in this new role.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:04 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Some of the most entertaining Saratoga Live/Belmont Live broadcasts this year came about when handicapping discussions came up with Frank. He was able to combine his Monmouth Park work with NYRA broadcasts when needed and was very solid in the booth since moving to Aqueduct.

Perhaps there is a financial component here that none of us will see, but it would seem strange to go back to a job for which you ran second unless you really wanted the job and had a financial incentive to take it. While Frank has been back and forth across the country, he always seemed to be an East Coast announcer from a style perspective - and a New Yorker at heart. After his health issues a time back, I thought he would be a permanent fixture here.

If this worst kept secret in horse racing this weekend is true, we should wish Frank nothing but good health and good luck in this new role.
So if you ran second to one of the premier jobs in the country in your field you would not peruse it in the future if it became available again because you didn't get it the first time?
Old 11-26-2018, 10:06 AM
Belmont Park

Frank is better, so there is that. I will miss Frank with Andy on the NYRA shows not because is gave out winners or was so inciteful, but because he was funny and entertained me
Old 11-26-2018, 10:07 AM
Flemington

I'm honestly going to miss Frank's banter with Andy more than him calling the actual races. Those talking horses/live shows were extremely entertaining. I just wonder if it will be Johnny I or they go in another direction.
Old 11-26-2018, 10:53 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms62 View Post
So if you ran second to one of the premier jobs in the country in your field you would not peruse it in the future if it became available again because you didn't get it the first time?
I would clearly want to understand why the "new direction" was not identified the first time 'round. Frank clearly does not need career advice from me, but the first day in the Santa Anita booth is one day closer to being fired based on the next new direction. There are surely parameters in play of which we do not have knowledge. Best wishes to Frank in this new move and he will be missed here on the East Coast.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:48 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post

Frank's from California and grew up going to SA.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:51 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716 View Post
I'm honestly going to miss Frank's banter with Andy more than him calling the actual races. Those talking horses/live shows were extremely entertaining. I just wonder if it will be Johnny I or they go in another direction.
Johnny I has been sharing the Winter duties with Frank and Travis over the past four years. That was always the plan this Winter, as was Larry calling some as well.

Nobody will miss Frank more than me but I am thrilled he has landed his dream job.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:28 AM
Havre de Grace

Default Mirahmadi Named Santa Anita Track Announcer

Frank Mirahmadi, a well-known figure in racing circles from coast to coast, has been named Santa Anita Park's permanent announcer and will assume his duties beginning opening day, Dec. 26.

Having just completed his fourth season as the track announcer at Monmouth Park, Mirahmadi is currently calling races at Aqueduct Racetrack and will conclude his duties in New York Dec. 16. Mirahmadi has also served over the last 22 years, with his first .....

https://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-rac...rack-announcer

Blaise Pascal
Old 11-27-2018, 11:07 AM
Ak-Sar-Ben

He wasn't fired. His contract wasn't renewed.
Big difference imo