Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Trip Notes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2009, 05:54 PM
CSC's Avatar
CSC CSC is offline
Arlington Park
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,408
Default Egypt

It's hard to gauge Biancone horses at the moment especially after his suspension, but 1st time in NA runner "Egypt" was an interesting horse to watch in today's 7th race at SA. Ridden by unknown French jockey Julien Couton who reportedly won a meet at Deauville a couple of years ago, he encountered some trouble down the lane, not sure he would have won with a better trip but he may be worth watching down the line. All 3 of them infact.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-10-2009, 10:19 PM
eajinabi's Avatar
eajinabi eajinabi is offline
Churchill Downs
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
It's hard to gauge Biancone horses at the moment especially after his suspension, but 1st time in NA runner "Egypt" was an interesting horse to watch in today's 7th race at SA. Ridden by unknown French jockey Julien Couton who reportedly won a meet at Deauville a couple of years ago, he encountered some trouble down the lane, not sure he would have won with a better trip but he may be worth watching down the line. All 3 of them infact.
He has run in a GROUP1 and a GROUP2 on his PP so a MSW in Cali is major drop in class. I will bet against on this one next as I am weary of Euros second time out in the USA. The winner Mark S the Cooler dropped from a G1
to run in a MSW on turf for first time.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-11-2009, 08:41 AM
CSC's Avatar
CSC CSC is offline
Arlington Park
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eajinabi
He has run in a GROUP1 and a GROUP2 on his PP so a MSW in Cali is major drop in class. I will bet against on this one next as I am weary of Euros second time out in the USA. The winner Mark S the Cooler dropped from a G1
to run in a MSW on turf for first time.
Considering how cold Biancone and Couton have been this meet, I thought he ran well enough to be a horse to watch in the future. Interestingly Couton was brought to North America by Biancone to work for him, similarily to what he did for Leparioux. Regardless there may be a few jockies to keep an eye out for, I also read Patrick Husbands will stay on to ride in So Cal, this guy in my opinion can ride if he is given the chance.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-11-2009, 04:04 PM
peetsa peetsa is offline
Morris Park
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eajinabi
He has run in a GROUP1 and a GROUP2 on his PP so a MSW in Cali is major drop in class. I will bet against on this one next as I am weary of Euros second time out in the USA. The winner Mark S the Cooler dropped from a G1
to run in a MSW on turf for first time.
This horse is a mortal cinch next time out. I just hope we get 8-1 or better on him.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2009, 11:08 PM
eajinabi's Avatar
eajinabi eajinabi is offline
Churchill Downs
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetsa
This horse is a mortal cinch next time out. I just hope we get 8-1 or better on him.

Thats why I hope people like you see his US debut and pound him at the windows next out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2009, 08:34 AM
CSC's Avatar
CSC CSC is offline
Arlington Park
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,408
Default

I have a love/hate relationship with any sentence that includes with word 'Mortal'
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2009, 06:57 PM
3kings's Avatar
3kings 3kings is offline
Santa Anita
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,499
Default

I am trying to add this horse to my stable mail. Does anyone have his age from the PP's, there are 3 horse with the name Egypt listed. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2009, 07:05 PM
my miss storm cat's Avatar
my miss storm cat my miss storm cat is offline
Saratoga
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetsa
This horse is a mortal cinch next time out. I just hope we get 8-1 or better on him.
Respectfully, I'm not seeing this at all.

I know, I know... he ran in the Darley Dewhurst (Group 1) but he was last and wasn't he Rip's rabbit? Ran in the Railway (G2) but again... wasn't he there for Mastercraftsman? I only remember him cause he was an AOB horse and what i do remember is that Beauthea (sp?) pulled an Evening Attire and gave everyone a head start and even she beat him home.

Good luck to you and to his backers. I hope he does well here and everything but I'm not gonna hold my breath.
__________________
avatar ~ Soriano
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2009, 07:06 PM
my miss storm cat's Avatar
my miss storm cat my miss storm cat is offline
Saratoga
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings
I am trying to add this horse to my stable mail. Does anyone have his age from the PP's, there are 3 horse with the name Egypt listed. Thanks in advance.
He's a 3 year old.
__________________
avatar ~ Soriano
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-12-2009, 07:33 PM
my miss storm cat's Avatar
my miss storm cat my miss storm cat is offline
Saratoga
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Did you see his race the other day?
Caught the replay. Why?
__________________
avatar ~ Soriano
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-12-2009, 09:44 PM
RolloTomasi's Avatar
RolloTomasi RolloTomasi is offline
Santa Anita
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
I know, I know... he ran in the Darley Dewhurst (Group 1) but he was last and wasn't he Rip's rabbit? Ran in the Railway (G2) but again... wasn't he there for Mastercraftsman?
Aren't most of the pacesetters employed by Ballydoyle for their top tier horses often stakes-calibur runners themselves?

Honolulu, MacArthur, L'Ancresse, Ivan Denisovich, Red Rock Canyon, Yellowstone, Shah Jehan, etc.

I suppose you'd have to follow international racing closely to pick up on this.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-12-2009, 10:14 PM
my miss storm cat's Avatar
my miss storm cat my miss storm cat is offline
Saratoga
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi
Aren't most of the pacesetters employed by Ballydoyle for their top tier horses often stakes-calibur runners themselves?

Honolulu, MacArthur, Ivan Denisovich, Red Rock Canyon, Yellowstone, etc.

I suppose you'd have to follow international racing closely to pick up on this.
Ummm yeah I follow international racing a little bit and yes, they are.

This horse though? I wouldn't put him in the same category as any of these.

Just my opinion though.
__________________
avatar ~ Soriano
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-12-2009, 10:22 PM
eajinabi's Avatar
eajinabi eajinabi is offline
Churchill Downs
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,755
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
Ummm yeah I follow international racing a little bit and yes, they are.

This horse though? I wouldn't put him in the same category as any of these.

Just my opinion though.

Bingo!
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-12-2009, 10:35 PM
my miss storm cat's Avatar
my miss storm cat my miss storm cat is offline
Saratoga
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eajinabi
Bingo!


Do you remember AOB's runner, Puerto Rico? He's spiraled down to Class 5 in Hong Kong.

Or, as they call them, the cellar dwellars.

I liked him... thought he had potential anyway. He won his first race beating an insane field (26 horses!), hit the board a few times. Went to HK and straight downhill. Sad.

He was, well I hate to say a better horse cause that's silly but at least he showed me something.

Good luck to Egypt. I'm not seeing much but I'm wrong quite a bit of the time.
__________________
avatar ~ Soriano
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-12-2009, 10:39 PM
my miss storm cat's Avatar
my miss storm cat my miss storm cat is offline
Saratoga
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi

I suppose you'd have to follow international racing closely to pick up on this.
As an aside, there is an international forum.

Have a look someday. We won't bite.
__________________
avatar ~ Soriano
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:19 AM
peetsa peetsa is offline
Morris Park
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 135
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
The horse is definitely going to be a horse to look at next out. I'm not exactly sure how someone can be sure they want to bet against him next out based on it being his second time running in the US. I'm also not sure how he's a mortal cinch next time either. But, he's one to keep an eye on next time, thanks for the heads up.
Yes, he is not a "mortal cinch" next time out, but here is why I think he is a huge play.

1) He made a winning move into the stretch, but had no room for at least forty yards in the stretch, which, from my view, he would have been right there.

2) This horse is by Dansili, out of a Royal Academy mare, which is, in my opinion, far superior breeding than most of the stock in this country.

3) And this is the big "IF", IF they give him Lasix for his second start, this should improve him tremendously next time out.

4) They didn't send this horse over here to be a "rabbit" for another horse, I believe they think they have a pretty good horse, just maybe not good enough to run against those monsters in Europe, but more than good enough to beat the competition in the U.S.

These are the reasons I am so headstrong on this horse.

Brash prediction: Egypt will win his next race (I HOPE!!), and will win a stakes race on the grass before the end of the meet.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-13-2009, 11:01 AM
CSC's Avatar
CSC CSC is offline
Arlington Park
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,408
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
The horse is definitely going to be a horse to look at next out. I'm not exactly sure how someone can be sure they want to bet against him next out based on it being his second time running in the US. I'm also not sure how he's a mortal cinch next time either. But, he's one to keep an eye on next time, thanks for the heads up.
No Probs Hoss. Couple of interesting factors that also caught my attention besides the trip, the horse ran well for a cold trainer and an inexperienced NA Jockey.

I remember Kieran Fallon who is probably one of the top 3 riders in Europe struggling with race riding at Gulfstream Park and even before that Take in So Cal...Its never easy for European riders to adapt to riding over here...Saying that when Couton gets more used to riding over here or if a new Jock is announced on this horse say Leparioux, this horse moves up in my mind, another thing is when will Biancone will get hot again? His history would seem to indicate he will not stay clean forever.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-13-2009, 04:27 PM
the_fat_man's Avatar
the_fat_man the_fat_man is offline
Atlantic City Race Course
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 4,676
Default

T
R
A
P
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-13-2009, 05:50 PM
RolloTomasi's Avatar
RolloTomasi RolloTomasi is offline
Santa Anita
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 3,091
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat
This horse though? I wouldn't put him in the same category as any of these.

Just my opinion though.
Well, he was second to one of the top-rated juveniles in Ireland last year and the race at Santa Anita was atypically quality-laden, with the first two home coming out of stakes races and the first three finishers having pedigrees riddled with graded stakes horses.

But still, none of that shows he has the ability to compete in stakes competitively, which pretty much eliminates him from consideration in your average maiden special weight carded on the turf in North America.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-13-2009, 06:35 PM
my miss storm cat's Avatar
my miss storm cat my miss storm cat is offline
Saratoga
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 22,033
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi
Well, he was second to one of the top-rated juveniles in Ireland last year
Just for fun, let's take a look at the rest of that stellar field.

He beat home...

Little Bug (0-3-1 from 9)
Catalpa (O-1-0 from 8)
Naiazek (0-0-0 in 3 starts)
Venetian Dove (0-0-0 in 4 starts)
Oasis Sunset (1-0-1 from 5)
Aaroness (1-0-1 from 5)

Not trying to be a bitch... just having fun.

I really do hope this one improves. Good luck to his supporters.
__________________
avatar ~ Soriano
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.