Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Coach Pants

I don't see the harm in it. Then again I'm a cynical bastard. Not asking questions due to peer pressure reminds me of how things were in 2001.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
The guy is an elite young rider with a world class agent, instead of wondering if he will get mounts, people should be wondering what took so long.
Very well said, Freddy.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:13 PM
v j stauffer

Not a move I would advise. He's 6th in the nation in earnings. That with having a very quiet last 30 days because of chasing the Triple Crown, sadly having to attend to his brother and suspensions.

Not sure what the desired goal would be. Top 5 in the nation in total earnings? Already there. Live Triple Crown mounts? Already there. Breeders' Cup Prospects? Already there. Has won two.

Here's the thing. He's dominant in California. Something that is VERY VERY hard to accomplish. For some reason riders from back east with equal talent have tried it out here and failed. Never understood why but many have crawled home with their tail between their legs.

Also riding here is about 50,000 times easier logistically than bouncing around back east. Saratoga? Of course. What about the winter? Aqueduct ( inner ) don't think so for a kid from the Dominican. Keeneland? Sure. Will have build relationships. Gulfstream? Sure. Same story there.

California on the other hand is Valhalla for a guy that has his business. Fantastic weather year round. Live in the same house all but 7 weeks when somehow he has to endure a condo on a San Diego beach.

His morning work here is a total piece of cake. Breeze your stakes horses. Help out at Sadler's and a couple of marquee barns and kick around the backside politicing and visiting. Take some mornings off ( not an option at Belmont ) and ride nothing but 6/5 shots.

He and Bejarano are friends. More importantly their agents work together to freeze out other riders and keep the business in the top two family. VERY IMPORTANT! Also not possible back east.

I understand when you're young and super talented new adventures seem exciting. I say try river rafting, bungee jumping or of course musicals.

There's a certain little girl with Ruby slippers that said it best. And she was from Kansas for crying out loud. Not the paradise that So. Cal is.

Don't do it Joel.

Last edited by v j stauffer : 06-18-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Coach Pants

It only seems like he's been around for a long time.

I don't care either way how he does. I do, however, realize that the colony where he had cherry-picked mounts has been on the decline for over a decade.

We'll see how he does with less live horses. I'm not the only one who thinks he's slightly overrated. The switch to dirt will be telling statistically.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Jerome Park

I love when Vic copies the same post on multiple message boards. It makes me, the reader, feel special.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
I love when Vic copies the same post on multiple message boards. It makes me, the reader, feel special.
There have to be a few more where threads haven't started that he's just waiting to hit the paste button.

I'm a little puzzled by the last sentence. Is that supposed to be a play on Rosario's accent?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudevil View Post
That's why I get so amused by the commentary. If some of the "experts" knew Ronnie, most of this thread wouldn't exist.
Ronnie Ebanks had a short career as a jockey. 1987 was his last year 23-for-297.

Byk loves the guy. About a year ago, I posted a picture of one of his ridiculous outfits and he pulled it.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:26 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
It also means that you like myself read multiple message boards. Why dog me for something you clearly also do?

Keep up the great job. Love your work. Seriously!
Old 06-18-2012, 03:27 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Here's the thing. He's dominant in California. Something that is VERY VERY hard to accomplish. For some reason riders from back east with equal talent have tried it out here and failed. Never understood why but many have crawled home with their tail between their legs.
What are some examples of east coast guys who have gone west only to crawl home with their tails between their legs?
Old 06-18-2012, 03:28 PM
Coach Pants

I think it was a failed homage to Desi Arnaz.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:28 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
There have to be a few more where threads haven't started that he's just waiting to hit the paste button.

I'm a little puzzled by the last sentence. Is that supposed to be a play on Rosario's accent?
You're right. It wasn't but in these shark infested waters could be taken the wrong way. Thanks for the heads up. Fixed.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Coach Pants

Is it time for your siesta?

Sooo sleeeeeeeeeepy.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
What are some examples of east coast guys who have gone west only to crawl home with their tails between their legs?
Jorge Chavez and Channing Hill are the only NY "regulars" to even try to make it out there in the last 5 years. What they had in common is that at that stage of their respective careers neither could really ride at all.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Kerwin John couldn't win at 3% year after year when he was riding at Mountaineer and Thistle -- and he went out and contended for a riding title at Hollywood Park one meet and was riding in the Breeders Cup.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:39 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Angel Cordero, Jorge Velazquez, Julien Leparoux, Jose Santos come to mind off the top of my head.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
Jorge Chavez and Channing Hill are the only NY "regulars" to even try to make it out there in the last 5 years. What they had in common is that at that stage of their respective careers neither could really ride at all.
It's almost all fashion with jockeys.

You can pull a guy like Pablo Morales out of the jockey room here at PID and if you put him on the mounts of mostly all of the big-name jockeys, you'd see no difference in long-term production.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by v j stauffer View Post
Angel Cordero, Jorge Velazquez, Julien Leparoux, Jose Santos come to mind off the top of my head.
Leparoux was out there for like a week and the rest happened decades ago, right?

Straight and strong!
Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Coach Pants

One of the worst career moves was Jon Court going west at an advanced age when he had the ky-in trash circuit on lock. He was super Goncalves.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:52 PM
Oriental Park

I thought he came during the end of either SA or HP and then road Del Mar....my memory is going though.

For some reason I thought Bailey had tried a stint out there but that was before my time really.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:56 PM
v j stauffer

Quote:
Leparoux was out there for like a week and the rest happened decades ago, right?

Straight and strong!
Leparoux give it several months a few years back. Didn't stick. He was here a short time ago, fall meet, for a couple weeks to soak in the rays and celebrate with his soon to become new inlaws.