Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-09-2011, 08:08 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawhip View Post
Who says that don't know what's wrong with him. You don't really think they are telling the truth. Just in case you haven't hear this recently but trainers do lie.
Yeah its all a conspiracy
Old 05-09-2011, 08:22 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
I know. That narrows it to one of four. That's why he needs to get off the track (as stuff there can influence two-three of them and cause elevations) and see what shakes out, if it persists.
Ok whatever, he is done the risks of running poorly outweigh the potential success
Old 05-09-2011, 08:31 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
Chuck this colt has been the subject of intense well known issue for months..I am surprised you arent falling into line, if he was 80 % he would have killed these plugs in the derby.. He didnt come back for whatever reason, and you know it!
Old 05-09-2011, 09:16 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Chuck this colt has been the subject of intense well known issue for months..I am surprised you arent falling into line, if he was 80 % he would have killed these plugs in the derby.. He didnt come back for whatever reason, and you know it!
Fall in line? I'm sure I can find out whatever there is to find out but I honestly don't care that much.

I just think the conspiratorial tone that involves this horse is amusing.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:25 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Answer me this Chuck. After the Wood, Pletcher said he had a gastrointestinal infection. Now he says they don't know what it is. So which one is it? A gastrointestinal infection or they don't know. If they don't know, why did they say he had a gastrointestinal infection.

You can answer or I coud tell you that Pletcher made up the whole thing after the Wood so he wouldn't have to keep answering the question as to why Uncle Mo looked like a 600 pound donkey.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:41 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Answer me this Chuck. After the Wood, Pletcher said he had a gastrointestinal infection. Now he says they don't know what it is. So which one is it? A gastrointestinal infection or they don't know. If they don't know, why did they say he had a gastrointestinal infection.

You can answer or I coud tell you that Pletcher made up the whole thing after the Wood so he wouldn't have to keep answering the question as to why Uncle Mo looked like a 600 pound donkey.
You do understand that the patient doesn't talk and sometimes you treat what you think is the main issue but that winds up being a secondary issue? Despite what you read on the internet there aren't a lot of clear cut issues when you are dealing with internal issues of thoroughbreds.

Do you seriously think that Todd Pletcher wants to pretend like he doesn't know what is the matter with his horse if he does? What would be the benefit of this?
Old 05-09-2011, 09:50 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
You do understand that the patient doesn't talk and sometimes you treat what you think is the main issue but that winds up being a secondary issue? Despite what you read on the internet there aren't a lot of clear cut issues when you are dealing with internal issues of thoroughbreds.

Do you seriously think that Todd Pletcher wants to pretend like he doesn't know what is the matter with his horse if he does? What would be the benefit of this?

I think he knows that it's not some gastrointestinal tract infection. Most likely, he used that as a cover-up for something he knows is probably more serious because he knows first hand what happens to horses when they get a serious diet of his juice.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:10 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
He was about 75% and was beaten easily in the Wood. Nothing he's done this year is even close to his maiden win last summer. Either he's another junior varsity star that found himself lacking when the rest of the class caught up to him at varsity or whatever is wrong with him has been going on for a while.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:14 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
I think he knows that it's not some gastrointestinal tract infection. Most likely, he used that as a cover-up for something he knows is probably more serious because he knows first hand what happens to horses when they get a serious diet of his juice.
So we are back to the conspiracy theory again? What is there to cover up? Is Uncle Mo going to sue for malpractice? If they were going to make something up why not something simple?

Do people really believe that this kind of stuff doesn't happen all the time? This is a very inexact science. I had a filly go bad on me last fall and we were never able to get her right despite her not getting any "juice" and not a single member of the press even knowing her name. It happens.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Do people really believe that this kind of stuff doesn't happen all the time? This is a very inexact science. I had a filly go bad on me last fall and we were never able to get her right despite her not getting any "juice" and not a single member of the press even knowing her name. It happens.
Coincidence or not, the question marks surrounding Uncle Mo's physical condition got launched into the stratosphere when it was announced a couple of weeks ago that Devil May Care was euthanized and that she had been suffering from lymphosarcoma.

Certainly, that disease doesn't happen all the time, especially not to 3yo horses, within the same barn, within a few months of each other.

While it's a ridiculously huge leap to say that Uncle Mo has the exact same disease, from the outside looking in, he has similar (albeit vague) signs she exhibited last fall, was initially diagnosed as having a GI insult like her, and also has tests revealing a dreaded "elevated enzyme". So you can certainly see where these morbid, cynical predictions come from.

At the very least, this conspiracy theory has a bit more firepower than the usual accusations thrown around during the Gulfstream meet after so many open length, triple digit BSF victories in stakes and allowance races.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:22 AM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
So we are back to the conspiracy theory again? What is there to cover up? Is Uncle Mo going to sue for malpractice? If they were going to make something up why not something simple?

In my opinon, Pletcher had to come up with something that would explain Uncle Mo's physical appearance, i.e massive weight loss. So he comes up with a gastrointestinal tract infection. If you believe that's what it is then fine. I don't.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:57 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
In my opinon, Pletcher had to come up with something that would explain Uncle Mo's physical appearance, i.e massive weight loss. So he comes up with a gastrointestinal tract infection. If you believe that's what it is then fine. I don't.
The horse has classic symptoms of a subtle chronic active problem with his liver or gastrointestinal tract (there could be one or two other things going on). The horse has had a battery of diagnostic tests at a referral hospital, a few possibilities for cause where determined based upon the results, the horse was placed on a specific course of treatment (medicine 101 for this presentation, btw) and when the course of treatment was done the horse still isn't 100%. So now they have to continue to try and determine what is going on.

Looking at it from a medical point of view, nothing secretive or conspiratorial or weird about that in the least.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-10-2011, 10:15 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
The horse has classic symptoms of a subtle chronic active problem with his liver or gastrointestinal tract (there could be one or two other things going on). The horse has had a battery of diagnostic tests at a referral hospital, a few possibilities for cause where determined based upon the results, the horse was placed on a specific course of treatment (medicine 101 for this presentation, btw) and when the course of treatment was done the horse still isn't 100%. So now they have to continue to try and determine what is going on.

Looking at it from a medical point of view, nothing secretive or conspiratorial or weird about that in the least.
In Pletcher's barn it's likely that Uncle Mo has long been on Gastroguard (or something similar) on a regular basis. For that reason, my initial reaction was that, if he's got something wrong in the GI tract, it must be something pretty serious. Does this follow, or are they completely unrelated?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:

Hey pg1985 who did you bet in the Derby?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
I don't know why this is so tough for some to embrace. My veterinarian friends echo what you are saying.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:44 AM
Goodwood

Quote:

The ol' dartboard approach. This I believe more than the conspiracy, but I've been wrong on every other aspect of this story, so who knows.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
I don't know why this is so tough for some to embrace. My veterinarian friends echo what you are saying.
I think what some people are saying is:

The horse had an infection( which was treated) but was still not good enough to Win the derby. So instead of losing and perhaps deminishing his value, they said the problem was lingering. Many think the horse has not advanced since last year and he had a leg issue. Don't run and lose and many will remember how good he was last year. Continue to run and lose and deminish his value. They are doing the right thing for their horse and their wallet.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Coincidence or not, the question marks surrounding Uncle Mo's physical condition got launched into the stratosphere when it was announced a couple of weeks ago that Devil May Care was euthanized and that she had been suffering from lymphosarcoma.

Certainly, that disease doesn't happen all the time, especially not to 3yo horses, within the same barn, within a few months of each other.

While it's a ridiculously huge leap to say that Uncle Mo has the exact same disease, from the outside looking in, he has similar (albeit vague) signs she exhibited last fall, was initially diagnosed as having a GI insult like her, and also has tests revealing a dreaded "elevated enzyme". So you can certainly see where these morbid, cynical predictions come from.

At the very least, this conspiracy theory has a bit more firepower than the usual accusations thrown around during the Gulfstream meet after so many open length, triple digit BSF victories in stakes and allowance races.
I am trying to figure out why 1 horse that died from cancer is such a smoking gun in your mind? I was under the impression that Pletcher has a rep for treating all the horses the same using basically the same tonics and elixirers on all. So wouldnt there be more horses getting this cancer then just one?
Old 05-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Sunshine Park

My point of all this is that you can't believe a word of what Pletcher and Repole are saying. Whether they don't know or Pletcher is covering up a condition that he doesn't want anybody to know about, I'm not sure. But with his track record, I'm not giving him the benefit of any doubt.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
That's because we are conspiratorial, and all stick together
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts