Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Jerome Park

Default Uncle Mo gets treatment at Winstar

https://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/ra...star-rest.aspx

“It makes sense to keep him in the Lexington area, where he will have access to the best veterinary facilities,” said trainer Todd Pletcher. “Winstar Farm has a beautiful training facility which includes a [hyperbaric] chamber and a first-class staff. Our focus is to figure out what is going on internally with him and get him back to 100%. When we do figure this out, the horse is already fit so we don’t think it will take him long to get back to his two-year old form.”
Old 05-09-2011, 01:19 PM
top predator.

sounds like repole has a partner
Old 05-09-2011, 01:27 PM
Goodwood

sounds like uncle mo has a new place to live.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:22 PM
Keeneland

Nice enough place for his new career, if his liver-GI tract is okay. Hope it is.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-09-2011, 05:28 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot View Post
Nice enough place for his new career, if his liver-GI tract is okay. Hope it is.
Arent you tired of this charade? Do you really think he has a tummy ache?
Old 05-09-2011, 05:44 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
Arent you tired of this charade? Do you really think he has a tummy ache?
I didn't say anything about a "tummyache". I said liver - GI tract.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-09-2011, 06:37 PM
Washington Park

I think it's a great move. Hopefully after 5-10 treatments, his condition will move forward. I know everyones tired of the charade, but i think its quite obvious that something is lingering inside him. I hope they get to the bottom of this quick!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Sunshine Park

Didn't Devil May Care have a liver. How'd that work out for Todd?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox View Post
I think it's a great move. Hopefully after 5-10 treatments, his condition will move forward. I know everyones tired of the charade, but i think its quite obvious that something is lingering inside him. I hope they get to the bottom of this quick!
Trouble is, based on what they've said, they don't seem like they know what to treat him for yet. I doubt there's any more charade than a troubling lack of a definitive diagnosis. I'm sure they already did liver enzyme repeats, ultrasounds, etc. as indicated and came up empty. Time to get him off the track and repeat.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:24 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
I didn't say anything about a "tummyache". I said liver - GI tract.

This colt never races again. Please I am sure you realize this. How can They afford further damage to his rep? Do you have a mare you want to submit to the new Unbridled Song?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
This colt never races again. Please I am sure you realize this. How can They afford further damage to his rep? Do you have a mare you want to submit to the new Unbridled Song?
What I realize, as a vet, is that persistently "elevated enzymes" and a failure to respond to a course of antibiotics for a "GI tract" thing means you have to look more deeply at what is going on. I can think of multiple possibilities, some simple and curable, others not. And I can readily think of scenarios (diagnoses) that are completely compatible with what they have publicly said about the horse and his treatment/response to date. So no, I don't have to jump on a superficial assumption the horse is retired and they are lying to the public. I hope they find it, and I hope the horse is okay.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
What I realize, as a vet, is that persistently "elevated enzymes" and a failure to respond to a course of antibiotics for a "GI tract" thing means you have to look more deeply at what is going on. I can think of multiple possibilities, some simple and curable, others not. And I can readily think of scenarios (diagnoses) that are completely compatible with what they have publicly said about the horse and his treatment/response to date. So no, I don't have to jump on a superficial assumption the horse is retired and they are lying to the public. I hope they find it, and I hope the horse is okay.
Dr.. The colt is retired. While I get you are 100% correct in your medical thoughts..Clearly the colts value can not be compromised and raced with potential failure, he has done enough, he is retired for stud service period!

What would you do guess what is wrong with him and hope he races wel again at Belmont in the Jim Dandy or retire him for 40k a load?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Dr.. The colt is retired. While I get you are 100% correct in your medical thoughts..Clearly the colts value can not be compromised and raced with potential failure, he has done enough, he is retired for stud service period!

What would you do guess what is wrong with him and hope he races wel again at Belmont in the Jim Dandy or retire him for 40k a load?
My first post said that I thought he was indeed retired, but they still have to find out what's wrong with him. I hope they find it, I hope it's not serious.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Sunshine Park

Who says that don't know what's wrong with him. You don't really think they are telling the truth. Just in case you haven't hear this recently but trainers do lie.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
My first post said that I thought he was indeed retired, but they still have to find out what's wrong with him. I hope they find it, I hope it's not serious.
I am sure we can agree Uncle Mo can live a healthy life as a stud without much issue.. he will be fine with some R and R..
He will be porking mares like a champ Feb1 2012
Old 05-09-2011, 07:46 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
I am sure we can agree Uncle Mo can live a healthy life as a stud without much issue.. he will be fine with some R and R..
He will be porking mares like a champ Feb1 2012
I think breeding season begins Feb 15th.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:54 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I am sure we can agree Uncle Mo can live a healthy life as a stud without much issue..
Not if he's got something significantly wrong internally.

Yes, Mawhip, trainers lie. But from a medical standpoint, everything they've said publicly is common and obvious. I can think of at least 10 things that could cause persistently elevated "enzymes" (GGT, AST, AlkP, AST, etc if that's true) without a definitive response to an antibiotic trial.

Quite an elaborate ruse to go through if they just want to retire the horse, or if he has a musculo-skeletal injury they are trying to hide (the vets cleared the horse to run, btw, which is consistent with what they've told the public about the horses problems).

Geesh - I hope the horse turns out okay, and it ends up nothing serious, and he has a stud career (or better back to the races in the fall).

You guys think whatever the hell you want.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:55 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mawhip View Post
I think breeding season begins Feb 15th.
As a novice, he'd be breeding non-TB mares before that, to learn what to do.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:00 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Not if he's got something significantly wrong internally.

Yes, Mawhip, trainers lie. But from a medical standpoint, everything they've said publicly is common and obvious. I can think of at least 10 things that could cause persistently elevated "enzymes" (GGT, AST, AlkP, AST, etc if that's true) without a definitive response to an antibiotic trial.
Todd Pletcher said only one "enzyme" was persistently elevated, not several. That was the reason he said that they still hadn't identified the source of his ill health.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:04 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
Todd Pletcher said only one "enzyme" was persistently elevated, not several. That was the reason he said that they still hadn't identified the source of his ill health.
I know. That narrows it to one of four. That's why he needs to get off the track (as stuff there can influence two-three of them and cause elevations) and see what shakes out, if it persists.