Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2006, 07:22 PM
harvhorse

Default Places to eat in saratoga

I will be going up to Saratoga(for the first time in about 20 years) Aug.22-24. Would like some reccomendations for reasonable places to eat. Two for dinner and a couple for breakfest. Is siro's a good place for breakfest? will welcome any reccomendations.
May the horse be with you
Old 07-15-2006, 09:51 PM
Washington Park

Lots of folks here have been to Saratoga more than me........

some LIVE nearby!

but, I'll submit it's hard to go wrong.

Wander the street after the races, look for what feels right for your personal tastes, and it's nearly impossible to go wrong.

I will suggest not to bank on the food of the local Bed & Breakfasts. It's hard to significantly disappoint me, but I was significantly disappointed with my more than average price B&B.

My "hearty fresh Irish breakfast" advertised was frozen link boxed sausage, and frozen biscuts, and frozen packaged hash browns.

It still pisses me off.

That said, I wish I was going to Saratoga this year.

Have a good time!
Old 07-16-2006, 10:11 AM
oracle80

Breakfast- Uncommon Grounds or Comptons. Grounds has the greatest coffee you ever tasted and tasty bagels, etc.
Comptons is a diner type place on Broadway with lightning fast service and good cheap food. EIther one is great depending on your mood.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Golden Gate

Default eating out

definitely try The Wishing Well in Wilton.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:23 PM
Golden Gate

Default eating out

Oh and i forget The horseshoe Grill right by the track.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:33 PM
Hialeah Park

P J's. Cheap and good.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Del Mar

Default Wishing Well

Kenny P's right, the Wishing Well although pricy is as much of Saratoga history as the houses and track.

Wheatfields is good but they have off nights when it's crowded, still an outside table along Broadway is a must one night just to watch and take it all in.

I like Gaffneys on their back porch for a reasonable dinner, live music and the bar is sometimes hopping.

I can't remember the restaurant on Phila street but is was excellent.

By far the best thing to do is take 30 min. and walk around, check out menus, and you'll find what you like.

What a great place!
Old 07-16-2006, 03:07 PM
TeddyRex

Cool yikes

I lived in Saratoga for four years, visit there often, and consider it home. Some of the eatery advice here is way off base. Places to eat:

Breakfast? Uncommon Grounds, great choice. But hell, let's get off Broadway, Gander. Try Shirley's. A ton of food, great prices. Or howabout Bizbees? Prices are good, and the food is great. If I had to pick just one, it would be Bizbee's by a nose over Uncommon Grounds. Don't go to Starbucks. That's for tourists that don't know better. Alternatively, Go to the Bread Basket EARLY in the morning. Get yourself a pastry and a juice and HEAD OVER to the track and watch the workouts. Go into the rich people seats, you know what I am talking about, and have a seat. They are open to the general public in the morning hours. There is a nice lady named MARY RYAN who commentates the workout.

Lunch? Depends on what you are looking for. The Pink Deli on the west side of town has great burgers and super prices. The China Wok on Broadway is ok, not as good as they used to be but ok. Stay away from PJ's. OVERPRICED FOOD. We ate there once a year. The day they opened it up as a way to celebrate spring. Other than that we considered it very overpriced. My suggestion is ROMA'S, they make great sandwiches. I also liked the deli sandwiches at FIVE POINTS. Also very good. I also would tell you to stay away from Spring Street Deli. They hate the racetrack crowd, and most of their help have their heads in the clouds. (disclaimer: I also had a VERY BAD experience in there= AVOID). Humpty Dumpty also has good, fresh subs. If I had to pick one? Roma's would be the choice.

Dinner? Depends on what you could avoid. Never have liked Wheatfields. One Caroline is VERY EXPENSIVE in my book ($60 for one dinner is very expensive on my teacher's pay). Try Gaffney's and SIT OUTSIDE if you can. 43 Phila is also out of my ballpark, but very good. Bailey's is a good choice. Good food, reasonable prices. The WIshing Well, also expensive and worth it. If I had to pick one? Gaffney's would be the choice.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:15 PM
TeddyRex

Default Au Contraire

To be taken as "disagreeable" without being "disagreeable":

How do you know Gafney's takes it straight from the freezer??? I doubt that you do.

I will be in Saratoga for opening week, please meet me at One Caroline's and point out that $30 meal. I doubt you would be able to.

Uncommon Grounds beats the hell out of Starbucks. If you have a taste for the generic corporate america, that's your right.

You AND your wife split a PJ's????? You guys need to start eating better. Besides, I would hardly call PJ's "barbecue", much less "good barbacue."
Old 07-16-2006, 05:16 PM
Steve Byk

Default OK.. From someone in the food business..

Couple of notes..

While the recco's are all well-meaning, let me make a few suggestions..

The best, most consistent restaurant in town since 1982-83 is SPERRY'S.. Period. There's no discussion.. Ridge and his staff can be counted on time and again for perfectly executed upscale continental/tavern fare that is on a par with any joint of it's ilk..

The best addition to the Saratoga dining front in a long time is BEEKMAN ST. BISTRO.. Run by 2 partners, a front of the house guy and a brilliant young chef who spent a lot of time developing craft in San Fran and Portland, there is nothing like it within 200 miles. I can't even begin to give an explanation of it except to say that the rather exclusive track clientelle I directed there last summer were blown away by it.

The concept/menu change two years ago at the SPRINGWATER has made it something it never was, an 'occasion destination'.. The food is overly pretentious to suit me, and its' become pricey, but what I've had the last two years there has been very good... CHEZ SOPHIE is exquisite and authentic French, and our man "BTW" adores it, but it's not my cup of tea.. RIPE TOMATO towards Malta is good, uniform, mammouth-portioned and square-priced and fun, but be prepared to wait any night during the meet.. If you've got a group, are familiar and like the Family-style Italian concept at Carmine's in NYC or Maggiano's (nartionally), SERGIO'S is quite OK and then some..

There is literally nowhere else in town as special as the first two choices... You'll be disappointed almost anywhere else you go.

If you want something fun and cheap and don't mind a 20 minute sojourn to Glens Falls, take 87 North to Exit 18, head East on Glen St. towards downtown and discover TALK OF THE TOWN Pizzeria. Difficult to describe except to say it's an institution as a bar-tavern-pizza joint and a place I go religiously. Tell Bill at the bar or Craig the headwaiter that Steve from Carolina BBQ sent you. (But check the bill carefully). Bring a group and order pitchers of beer and 5-6 pizzas. The "cheeseburger" and "bbq chix" are 2 specialties, but the classics (pepp, etc.) are my preference. You'll feed 8 people for about $100..

Another fun drive is out towards my neck of the woods (Greenwich).. On the way before you reach Schuylerville is FARMER'S DAUGHTER, your basic New England Dairy Bar with very good burgers and ice cream. About 8 miles East of Saratoga on 29 East. They have a clever twisted Orange/Cream out of the soft serve machine which has become a bit of a trademark item for them.. For exceptional ice cream, drive further on 29 East into Greenwich, aon the left just past the Washington County Fairgrounds is ICE CREAM MAN. Super premium fresh-daily, small batch ice cream. About 26-30 flavors. Ask if they have any "private stock" Philadelphia Vanilla made with the real thing, Madagascar Vanillia Bean Fleck..

Oh, and places to avoid at all costs? PJ's (dreadful, over-priced, an embarassment); Lillian's (better last time I was there, but still utterly ordinary); Wishing Well (deserving of demolition)..

And of course I've failed to mention that on-track, I expect anyone to come see me at my CAROLINA BARBECUE across from the Carousel tele-theater.. Now featuring a beautiful hardwood patio deck. The only outdoor seating establishment on the track, and the best food on the grounds... By a wide margin.

Steve

Last edited by Kasept : 07-16-2006 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 05:44 PM
Del Mar

Default Hey wait a minute...

I guess no one has mentioned Ciros as no one can afford it. If you win big and have the bucks, it's a great dinner with service that warrants the money you're shelling out. Its worth it if you can afford it. Now you locals will say its not but come on, were on vacation at the Spa!
Old 07-16-2006, 06:50 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Couple of notes..

While the recco's are all well-meaning, let me make a few suggestions..

The best, most consistent restaurant in town since 1982-83 is SPERRY'S.. Period. There's no discussion.. Ridge and his staff can be counted on time and again for perfectly executed upscale continental/tavern fare that is on a par with any joint of it's ilk..

The best addition to the Saratoga dining front in a long time is BEEKMAN ST. BISTRO.. Run by 2 partners, a front of the house guy and a brilliant young chef who spent a lot of time developing craft in San Fran and Portland, there is nothing like it within 200 miles. I can't even begin to give an explanation of it except to say that the rather exclusive track clientelle I directed there last summer were blown away by it.

The concept/menu change two years ago at the SPRINGWATER has made it something it never was, an 'occasion destination'.. The food is overly pretentious to suit me, and its' become pricey, but what I've had the last two years there has been very good... CHEZ SOPHIE is exquisite and authentic French, and our man "BTW" adores it, but it's not my cup of tea.. RIPE TOMATO towards Malta is good, uniform, mammouth-portioned and square-priced and fun, but be prepared to wait any night during the meet.. If you've got a group, are familiar and like the Family-style Italian concept at Carmine's in NYC or Maggiano's (nartionally), SERGIO'S is quite OK and then some..

There is literally nowhere else in town as special as the first two choices... You'll be disappointed almost anywhere else you go.

If you want something fun and cheap and don't mind a 20 minute sojourn to Glens Falls, take 87 North to Exit 18, head East on Glen St. towards downtown and discover TALK OF THE TOWN Pizzeria. Difficult to describe except to say it's an institution as a bar-tavern-pizza joint and a place I go religiously. Tell Bill at the bar or Craig the headwaiter that Steve from Carolina BBQ sent you. (But check the bill carefully). Bring a group and order pitchers of beer and 5-6 pizzas. The "cheeseburger" and "bbq chix" are 2 specialties, but the classics (pepp, etc.) are my preference. You'll feed 8 people for about $100..

Another fun drive is out towards my neck of the woods (Greenwich).. On the way before you reach Schuylerville is FARMER'S DAUGHTER, your basic New England Dairy Bar with very good burgers and ice cream. About 8 miles East of Saratoga on 29 East. They have a clever twisted Orange/Cream out of the soft serve machine which has become a bit of a trademark item for them.. For exceptional ice cream, drive further on 29 East into Greenwich, aon the left just past the Washington County Fairgrounds is ICE CREAM MAN. Super premium fresh-daily, small batch ice cream. About 26-30 flavors. Ask if they have any "private stock" Philadelphia Vanilla made with the real thing, Madagascar Vanillia Bean Fleck..

Oh, and places to avoid at all costs? PJ's (dreadful, over-priced, an embarassment); Lillian's (better last time I was there, but still utterly ordinary); Wishing Well (deserving of demolition)..

And of course I've failed to mention that on-track, I expect anyone to come see me at my CAROLINA BARBECUE across from the Carousel tele-theater.. Now featuring a beautiful hardwood patio deck. The only outdoor seating establishment on the track, and the best food on the grounds... By a wide margin.

Steve
gimme a beef wt with peppers..lol....and garden era....
Old 07-16-2006, 07:02 PM
TeddyRex

Default Gander makes me laugh

You are kind of like my wife. She proves my point in every argument.

For somebody that says he is a "life time resident" of Saratoga, I find it humorous that you can't give a single dining suggestion that isn't on Broadway. Either you haven't been paying attention, or you have a tough time getting out.

Don't really care what the help looks like at UG. As long as their stuff is good and the service is up to par.

Sperry's, I forgot that one. I like Sperry's too.

For somebody that says thats PJ's is one of the best places to eat (can you say TOURIST TRAP), you sure are dismissive of Gafney's. Personally, I can't think of too many places that I would rather be on a hot summer Saratoga evening. Sitting on the patio and slowly getting buzzed. Next thing you will say is that Pope's is the best "italian food" you have ever tasted.

Thanks for the on-line menu at Caroline's, but those are HARDLY their August prices. Again, for a long time resident, you sure are dense about the price runups during track season. Personally, I would rather spend my money at Chianti's (Another place that is often missed by TOURISTS).

And one more place, for East Coast Mexican food, try out Leon's. Another off-Broadway location.

Last edited by TeddyRex : 07-16-2006 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:34 PM
TeddyRex

Default Another internet Tough Guy

Someone disagrees with you and you want to fight all of a sudden? I will be totally able to spit the truth in your face. I will be there from 7/25 to 8/1. Tell me where to line up! haha.

For somebody that is so elitest about where you live, you are so utterly clueless. The food that you give advice for is laughable. Wheatfield's and Spring Street Deli! haha, that cracks me up! And to tell somebody to go down Union as soon as the 9th race is over is even funnier. Come on! You really don't travel down Union after the races do you? That wouldn't surprise me either. Get out and learn your town.
Old 07-16-2006, 07:59 PM
Jerome Park

First of all, let's discuss PJs...now I am a food snob and eat in some of the best restaurants in NYC fairly frequently and Gander is 100% correct. PJ's is excellent barbeque and considered as such from people not only in the Saratoga area but also from out of town. The person knocking their food is DEAD wrong.

As far as the claim about finding restaurants ON Broadway, well, perhaps Wheatfields is edible but up until this year probably the Wine Bar is the only place you want to eat there. Now, Chez Sophie has moved to what used to be the Sheraton so there is one spectacular place on Broadway. Chez Sophie is so good it would thrive in NYC and there are VERY few places you can say that about in Saratoga. I also think Lanci's is very good. To be perfectly honest those are the only two truly good places in town. Well, that's not totally fair, as the Beekman Street Bistro is very good and apparantly a new place has moved in next door, I think, that may also be good.

I do eat fairly often at One Caroline and it is physically a great place. The girl who sings there a lot in the summer is terrific. However, the food is mediocre at best and I personally don't particularly like their menu. Gander is correct that it is hardly pricy and in line with the rest of the places in town.

The Springwater is good but their attitude wore me out and I no longer eat there. I don't need attitude from the hostess after being held up for 45 minutes for my table...especially after it has happened three times in a row. Chameleons, which is owned by a former partner at the Springwater, is a short drive out of town and while it has a limited menu it is pretty good.

On Beverly's....it's great. I just wish my mornings were less hectic and I could eat there more often. There have been summers I ate breakfast there every day.

Last edited by blackthroatedwind : 07-16-2006 at 08:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2006, 08:03 PM
Jerome Park

And, I hope nobody was seriously recommending Gaffney's food. That would be silly.
Old 07-16-2006, 09:03 PM
Del Mar

Default The Saratoga Food mutual Pool

OK, I have it:

Uncommon Grounds 5/2: Early speed (breakfast) and fast

PJ's: 4/1 Consistantly in the money

Wishing Well: 7/2: Old Timer with something left?

Siros: 4/1 Class of the field. Can they carry 145 lbs.?

One Caroline: 6/1 Has class but speed to finish?

Sperrys: 7/1 Heavely touted

Starbucks: 8/1 Always consistant

Wheatfields: 9/1 Italian invader

Nine Maples: 10/1 On milkshake (too many drinks)? isn't that another thread?

BEEKMAN ST. BISTRO.. 10/1: Can this 3yo challenge?

Springwater 13/1: Inconsistant head strong Philly

Field: 20/1

Ben & Jerry's: 25/1: Couples entry always cold

Chez Sophie: 25/1 French invader has class but can he take on field

Carollina Barbeque: 30/1 Southern bread, OK with Southern bread
may have heart attack during race due to high colesteral

There you have it. Place your best
Old 07-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Morris Park

Hey Havhorse...are you as confused as I am ? Got "yays" and "nays" for every restaurant in town. I'm afraid to go out when I get there. I'm thinkin' of either bringing the Zagat's Guide or a cooler full of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.
Old 07-17-2006, 07:11 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSpyder

Carollina Barbeque: 30/1 Southern bread, OK with Southern bread
While our BBQ recipe was 'bred' in South Carolina, our stable is composed of PA and NY-breds..

(Regarding our actual 'bread', it's a fresh daily 'steak' roll from the outstanding Schnectady area Italian standardbearer Mt. Pleasant Bakery...)

The price above is an epic overlay... I'd box me.. Carolina BBQ with Sperry's/Beekman..
Old 07-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovesupsideyourhead
gimme a beef wt with peppers..lol....and garden era....
still go out of my way for Mr. Beef when I go back. Usually on Harlem on NW side unless Midway, ... then Ogden St in Berwyn.

Combo wet with hot giardenairre. Winter I don't miss. Mr. Beef, got it bad.