Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2019, 08:11 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

Default Hollendorfer barred from Stronach tracks

4 breakdowns this meeting at Santa Anita, more in San Francisco, and the last one was a classic dump job. He has been told to remove all horses and equipment from Stronach tracks. He saw it coming. He is opening a stable in NY.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:40 PM
Havre de Grace

Default Hollendorfer `No Longer Welcome’ At Santa Anita

Friday, CNN posted a report that named Hollendorfer as a trainer “under scrutiny” by Santa Anita after three of his horses had lost their lives at the meet since it opened for the season Dec. 26. Those losses included the most prominent horse of all of Santa Anita’s rash of breakdowns this winter and spring, Battle of Midway (Smart Strike), the 2017 GI Breeders’ Cup Dirt Mile winner.

The CNN report said that Hollendorfer had also lost two horses at Golden Gate Fields since December, and said he had been sanctioned 19 times by the CHRB since 2006 “for over-medication or use of illicit medications on horses.”

http://www.thoroughbreddailynews.com...-track-breeze/

Blaise Pascal
Old 06-22-2019, 09:25 PM
Belmont Park

So this is the new narrative. Never the track, now it's the trainers fault. Stronach couldn't be a bigger PoS.

Welcome to New York, Jerry
Old 06-22-2019, 09:55 PM
Newmarket

GET THE BREEDER'S CUP OUT OF CALIFORNIA! before any more damage is done to the sport!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 06-22-2019, 09:55 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
So this is the new narrative. Never the track, now it's the trainers fault. Stronach couldn't be a bigger PoS.

They are doing their best to destroy the sport!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 06-22-2019, 11:14 PM
Washington Park

Good Lord. He's run like 33,000 horses. He's in the HOF. Do people really think trainers want to see any of their horses break down ? Do they just think they are so callous. It's not that way. These guys love their horses.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:25 AM
Steve Byk

From Doc Allred, Chairman and Owner of Los Alamitos Race Course: “Los Alamitos will gladly provide stalls to Jerry Hollendorfer, a Hall of Fame trainer and an unparalleled horseman. Unless forbidden by the CHRB, we intend to permit entries from Hollendorfer. We do not feel Hollendorfer should be a scapegoat for a problem which derives from a number of factors.”
Old 06-23-2019, 05:51 AM
Steve Byk

Hollendorfer to Steve Anderson: https://www.drf.com/news/hollendorfe...l-injury?type=

“I’m trying to work out a plan now,” Hollendorfer said in a telephone interview. “The only thing I have to say is every time anyone loses a horse, the whole backstretch loses. That’s the way everyone feels. I’ve been doing this for almost 40 years, and I’ve started more than 33,500 horses that have been under my care in my career. I haven’t, in my opinion, had that many problems.

“I’ve never been suspended or anything like that. I have a lot of employees that I want to take care of and who have families that depend me. I’m training over 100 horses right now. Santa Anita didn’t want me stay on the grounds. My opinion was that was a premature thing to do. I thought it was extreme. Now I have to step away for a while.”
Old 06-23-2019, 06:13 AM
Steve Byk

Saturday's episode with Hollendorfer, preceded by The Stronach Group's orchestrated public relations/character assassination Friday on CNN, is a new low in deflection and blame-avoidance.

The most disheartening aspect of the 'debate' and contorted 'solutions' coming from this disastrous Santa Anita season, is the wholly amoral posture of purported advocates of 'positive change' who are relying on distorted sensationalism while conveniently ignoring The Stronach Group's mismanagement which created the conditions for the problems.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:02 AM
Longchamps

Man is it too late to move Breeders Cup? No way should be at that track
Old 06-23-2019, 07:15 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Saturday's episode with Hollendorfer, preceded by The Stronach Group's orchestrated public relations/character assassination Friday on CNN, is a new low in deflection and blame-avoidance.

The most disheartening aspect of the 'debate' and contorted 'solutions' coming from this disastrous Santa Anita season, is the wholly amoral posture of purported advocates of 'positive change' who are relying on distorted sensationalism while conveniently ignoring The Stronach Group's mismanagement which created the conditions for the problems.
Stronach even brought in a consultant (PETA) on distorted sensationalism.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:20 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post

it's most likely his daughhters doing as she is running things, and has an ongoing battle with pops. in court

will want to hear Hammers take on it .

Blaise Pascal
Old 06-23-2019, 08:46 AM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
Man is it too late to move Breeders Cup? No way should be at that track
According to twitter the hotel prices in Louisville have skyrocketed in the last few weeks for Breeders Cup weekend.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:48 AM
Oriental Park

I’m glad that Stronach has finally addressed the root of the problem.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:41 PM
Detroit Race Course

Are you all saying Hollendorfer is not the reason for HIS STABLE's breakdowns?
think the 800 lb. gorilla in the room is not Stronach here. This is certainly more serious than just giving him a pass.
Old 06-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
think the 800 lb. gorilla in the room is not Stronach here. This is certainly more serious than just giving him a pass.
It just seems convenient the day after that silly CNN hatchet job that TSG bans Hollendorfer.

I think trainers are....or at least were part of the problem at Santa Anita this winter. I think they were running and training horses that should not have been running or training. But to isolate Hollendorfer seems like TSG is looking to place the blame on anyone and everyone but themselves.

They fired the racing secretary. They forced the track super out. They had people hustling entries of horses that shouldn’t have been running in order to create big fields for the jackpot bet and they were the ones sealing the track.

Lots of blame here. Hollendorfer is the convenient bad guy. Maybe he really is but I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:00 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post
Show us the statistics you used in saying Hollendorfer is the problem? Is his breakdown rate so far out of the norm from other trainers that he needs to be singled out? Stronach Group is the absolute problem , it is the track. What has changed here? California has had unprecedented amount of rain during this meet. Could it be that the track simply cannot handle it? Stronach Group is the absolute problem. Still trying to hold on to the Breeders Cup after all this instead of shutting it down and rebuilding the track and after each breakdown they give us a new knee jerk reaction and another scapegoat.
Old 06-23-2019, 06:09 PM
Louisiana Downs

If you have not seen this some good points made about the mess in California and the deflecting blame and lack of responsibility by the $tronach.Group.....https://thepressboxlts.com/cleaning-...ther-thoughts/
Old 06-23-2019, 06:32 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Just ignore the fact that since the original spate of breakdowns that caused the initial closure, Santa Anita has been one of the safest tracks around. Compare the number of breakdowns at Santa Anita since late March with the number of breakdowns at Belmont since late April. Compare late March til now at Santa Anita with a full season at Saratoga.

Santa Anita doesn’t have a problem with the racing surface.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 06-23-2019, 06:43 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
Just ignore the fact that since the original spate of breakdowns that caused the initial closure, Santa Anita has been one of the safest tracks around. Compare the number of breakdowns at Santa Anita since late March with the number of breakdowns at Belmont since late April. Compare late March til now at Santa Anita with a full season at Saratoga.

Santa Anita doesn’t have a problem with the racing surface.
It wasn’t the ONLY problem, but it was one of them.

Surface isn’t an issue now but it was.