Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2015, 02:18 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Be Bullish/Mike Repole

Be Bullish romps again today. Mike Repole claims him and says he will retire him. Repole is one of my favorites, like him even more now. Lots of respect to him for doing this.
He has literally done enough, but his last 2 races say he has something left. I guess its still the correct, nice thing to do.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:36 PM
Saratoga

That's awesome. I like Repole too.
Old 05-17-2015, 07:58 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
That's awesome. I like Repole too.
I think he claimed him a few months ago with Bruce Levine..He should have retired him then. Its a good thing he came to his senses better late then never. Maggie Moss tweeted she was the driver behind the action. I dont what to think except watching him race for these years has been a my pleasure.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:57 PM
Sunshine Park

Out of all of the horses out there running who shouldn't be....I don't get the rush and push to retire a horse who seems pretty happy right now.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:32 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Frederick View Post
Out of all of the horses out there running who shouldn't be....I don't get the rush and push to retire a horse who seems pretty happy right now.
Because unless he's a gelding, the real money is in the breeding!!! If he's a gelding, WTF, but I'm sure the eminent Repole has his Italian egomaniacal reasons.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:43 PM
Havre de Grace

We definitely need people retiring healthy horses in this day and age. Considering our field sizes are so great and all.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:09 PM
Flemington

So happy this was done!

The goal should be to retire a horse before they run their very last race and are still usable in other ways. Granted, Be Bullish will be at Old Friends, but there are many horses out there that should be retired, re-schooled and given a new job. Don't run every last bit of soundness (or worse, life) out of them.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:21 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
So happy this was done!

The goal should be to retire a horse before they run their very last race and are still usable in other ways. Granted, Be Bullish will be at Old Friends, but there are many horses out there that should be retired, re-schooled and given a new job. Don't run every last bit of soundness (or worse, life) out of them.
Don't think anyone is suggesting running every last bit of soundness out of them. There has to be a middle ground there somewhere.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215 View Post
We definitely need people retiring healthy horses in this day and age. Considering our field sizes are so great and all.
Not feeling your injuries is not necessarily healthy. All situations arent black or white. I agree healthy horses that slow down shouldnt be retired just because they lose a step. I have trouble believing he was a healthy horse and not a product of a healthy batch of whatever and lots a back class. He was recently on vet list and while this is anecdotal evidence of health or lack there of its has to be considered in light of the trainer and his lack of reputation.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:59 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Frederick View Post
Don't think anyone is suggesting running every last bit of soundness out of them. There has to be a middle ground there somewhere.
Respectfully, in this instance, I think this is the middle ground.

Great post, Sightie... always nice when someone is able to convey the thoughts that I think a few of us here share.

I'm sorry to bring up something so sad and about an older warrior we all loved (or who at least was a fan and forum favorite), but maybe this is part of it...

I do not know Mr. Repole at all and am not trying to be presumptuous or attempt to psychoanalyze him but maybe this is relative (?):

Repole said he had considered retiring Caixa Eletronica at the end of both his 7- and 8-year-old seasons, but the horse was sound and seemed to enjoy running and training so much that he kept him going. Repole said he turned down offers from farms in Indiana, Oklahoma, and overseas to stand the horse as a stallion. Repole said his plan was to retire the horse to Old Friends in Saratoga.

“Growing up in Queens these are the horses that I fell in love with, not the Saturday horses, but the Wednesday and Thursday horses,” Repole said. “Caixa was that type of horse that turned into a special horse.”

http://www.drf.com/news/belmont-park...ining-accident

So that's why I think this is a win win and that this just might be the middle ground. If nothing else why not be a little more careful with an older horse...

Glad for all involved. Always nice to see a happy ending.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:04 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
Because unless he's a gelding, the real money is in the breeding!!! If he's a gelding, WTF, but I'm sure the eminent Repole has his Italian egomaniacal reasons.
Wow.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:09 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Old 05-18-2015, 09:11 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis View Post
Wow.
Oh gee I just noticed your tagline.

~ just another wop
Old 05-18-2015, 01:14 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
Oh gee I just noticed your tagline.

~ just another wop

I've always wondered which side of my family had been responsible for my egomanical reasoning... Coulda swore it was the Irish
Old 05-18-2015, 01:17 PM
Belmont Park

As a personal affront to Don Guido, I will be celebrating the greatest American Architect of the 20th century - one Mr. Frank Lloyd Wright, with rotating Avys of his finest works each week.

This week, Fallingwater.

http://www.fallingwater.org

I have been fortunate enough to take in the masterpiece in person. It's literally built in a real waterfall.

>>Time cited it after its completion as Wright's "most beautiful job";[5] it is listed among Smithsonian's Life List of 28 places "to visit before you die."[6] It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966.[3] In 1991, members of the American Institute of Architects named the house the "best all-time work of American architecture" and in 2007, it was ranked twenty-ninth on the list of America's Favorite Architecture according to the AIA.<<
Old 05-18-2015, 01:21 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:

I've always wondered which side of my family had been responsible for my egomanical reasoning... Coulda swore it was the Irish
Falling Water - Beautiful, creative but no family could live there and leaked like a sieve. It's supposed to be a house but nobody could live in it. Cardinal sin for an architect. Enough about FLW and I'm Irish and an Architect but not egomaniacal . . . much?!
Old 05-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
As a personal affront to Don Guido, I will be celebrating the greatest American Architect of the 20th century - one Mr. Frank Lloyd Wright, with rotating Avys of his finest works each week.

This week, Fallingwater.

http://www.fallingwater.org

I have been fortunate enough to take in the masterpiece in person. It's literally built in a real waterfall.

>>Time cited it after its completion as Wright's "most beautiful job";[5] it is listed among Smithsonian's Life List of 28 places "to visit before you die."[6] It was designated a National Historic Landmark in 1966.[3] In 1991, members of the American Institute of Architects named the house the "best all-time work of American architecture" and in 2007, it was ranked twenty-ninth on the list of America's Favorite Architecture according to the AIA.<<
I do like his designs . . . just not the way he handled himself as an Architect and please do avatar them . . . I'll try not criticize each one. When I was a young fledgling student of Architecture I studied him well . . . then as I gained real experience and knowledge as a design Architect myself, I grew to cast him aside as any Architect not to emulate.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:31 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Falling Water - Beautiful, creative but no family could live there and leaked like a sieve. It's supposed to be a house but nobody could live in it. Cardinal sin for an architect. Enough about FLW and I'm Irish and an Architect but not egomaniacal . . . much?!
No true Irishman would have a handle DonGuido
Old 05-18-2015, 01:40 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
No true Irishman would have a handle DonGuido
He would if he was part of Mafia . . . not that I was but grew up with and around many Italians, like many Irish lads. Although the Irish could never be "made" they still held significantly high ranks . . . thus I "made" myself, taking on the moniker and title of DonGuido, I am often referred to as "The Don".

Last edited by DonGuido : 05-18-2015 at 02:32 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 01:52 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
He would if was part of Mafia . . . not that I was but grew up with and around many Italians, like many Irish lads. Although the Irish could never be "made" they still held significantly high ranks . . . thus I "made" myself, taking on the moniker and title of DonGuido, I am often referred to as "The Don".
Looks like someone was watching Goodfellows last night