Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2020, 11:04 PM
Oriental Park

Default Venue for August 1 . . .

WOW, I haven't won a Points Contest in ages, whaddya know Joe????

Almost a no brainer since Saratoga has 5 stakes races with 3 G1's to include the H. Allen Jerkins Memorial, Personal Ensign and The Whitney, along with the G2 Bowling Green. Then DelMar comes on the scene with the G1 Bing Crosby. Three Breeders Cup Qualifiers in the pack.

Looks like The Spa plus the Bing Crosby to me. What a card to start August with.

Comments???
Old 07-28-2020, 06:25 AM
Oriental Park

Sounds like a great way to start August to me.

I'm not suggesting this for our contest card, but wanted to call everyone's attention to the Shared Belief Stakes at Del Mar on Saturday. It is listed as race 2 on the card, only drew 6 runners and only has a purse of $100,000. On the other hand, the race does have Kentucky Derby qualifying points, and has quite a field: Baffert has entered Uncle Chuck, Thousand Words and Cezanne. Also entered are Anneau d'Or and, oh yes, Honor A.P. Kiss Today Goodbye rounds out the field.

With the Kentucky Derby only a little over a month away, this may provide a final chance for some of these to qualify, or a final tune up for some others. Either way, it's an opportunity to see some of the potential west coast contenders. Again, I'm not suggesting this for our contest, only to watch and learn.
Old 07-28-2020, 09:06 AM
Oriental Park

Thanks for the notes JB. Not sure if I'll be able to get DelMar or not here on Spectrum. Maybe NBC or NBC Sports will cover the big races there.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:45 AM
Oriental Park

Since it will be August and you selected the Spa, I had to post this trip down memory lane.

I was rummaging through some old papers a few days ago and came across some NYRA programs [I'm afraid that we are pack rats]. One on them had on the cover the slogan, "The August Place To Be". It was for August 11, 1990. The feature race that day was the 110th running of the Alabama. The race only drew three entrants, but what a trio: Charon, who had most recently won the CCA Oaks; Pampered Star, trained by Bobby Frankel, who had won the Monmouth Oaks; and the star-crossed Go For Wand, trained by Bill Badgett and ridden by Randy Romero, who had won the 7 furlong Test on August 2 and was now trying 1 1/4 miles only 9 days later. Go For Wand's race was nothing short of jaw dropping. My ecstatic feeling about her after witnessing that race only added to the agony of witnessing the on track tragedy in her BC Distaff only a few months later.

Incidentally, the next season the schedule was expanded to begin in July and the slogan changed to "The Summer Place To Be". That Alabama was won by Versailles Treaty after Meadow Star scratched due to the very sloppy track.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:11 AM
Oriental Park

JB, do you really keep old news papers? Were do you keep them? May be a fire hazard??? But thanks for the memories..

Last edited by DonGuido : 07-29-2020 at 10:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:44 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
JB, do you really keep old news papers? Were do you keep them? May be a fire hazard??? But thanks for the memories..
Not old newspapers - that would make me even more eccentric than I am. But I do keep programs from days at the races that have been memorable for one reason or another. Probably have two dozen, many of which are from the Spa or Gulfstream.
Old 07-29-2020, 12:10 PM
The Curragh

I have a huge collection of BLOODHORSE magazines
if anybody would like to have them and pay for the shipping

The collection goes back many years
but I do not have the heart
To throw them away

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 07-29-2020, 07:56 PM
The Curragh

Default McKensie OUT

BLOODHORSE

Trainer Bob Baffert said July 29 that he intends to scratch
four-time grade 1 winner McKinzie
from the $250,000 Bing Crosby Stakes (G1) at Del Mar.

The son of Street Sense drew post 4 for the Aug. 1 sprint,
a factor that the Hall of Fame trainer believes could adversely affect
the horse's chances at victory based on what he's seen so far this season.

"I didn't like what he drew," Baffert said.
"He drew the inside, and this track hasn't been playing very good.

It's been really deep and loose.
If it would have been a shorter field and he drew outside,
we would have maybe taken a chance at it
because he needs to get pace around there.

But right now it's playing sort of weird."

Old 07-29-2020, 09:01 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFIAN-333 View Post
BLOODHORSE

Trainer Bob Baffert said July 29 that he intends to scratch
four-time grade 1 winner McKinzie
from the $250,000 Bing Crosby Stakes (G1) at Del Mar.

The son of Street Sense drew post 4 for the Aug. 1 sprint,
a factor that the Hall of Fame trainer believes could adversely affect
the horse's chances at victory based on what he's seen so far this season.

"I didn't like what he drew," Baffert said.
"He drew the inside, and this track hasn't been playing very good.

It's been really deep and loose.
If it would have been a shorter field and he drew outside,
we would have maybe taken a chance at it
because he needs to get pace around there.

But right now it's playing sort of weird."
What a strange comment. I've heard trainers announce scratches after drawing the rail or after getting the far outside on a two turn race. I think that this is the first time that I've heard of a trainer scratching an otherwise sound horse because he didn't like post 4. I had been wondering why Mr. Baffert decided to enter McK in a 6 furlong sprint. That hasn't been his forte. Is there something else besides the "horrible" post?
Old 07-30-2020, 12:03 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
What a strange comment. I've heard trainers announce scratches after drawing the rail or after getting the far outside on a two turn race. I think that this is the first time that I've heard of a trainer scratching an otherwise sound horse because he didn't like post 4. I had been wondering why Mr. Baffert decided to enter McK in a 6 furlong sprint. That hasn't been his forte. Is there something else besides the "horrible" post?
It sounds very strange to say the least???
Old 07-30-2020, 01:44 PM
The Curragh

Very sad
almost pathetic
to see ONLY 5 horses in the Whitney

Last edited by RUFFIAN : 07-31-2020 at 08:28 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 06:45 AM
The Curragh

Agreed. They might be 5 good horses but 5 is still only 5 and leaves a lot to be desired if you're betting on the race.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:45 AM
Havre de Grace

Anybody playing in the Saratoga Handicapping Challenge? Only 5,000 dollars. No me neither, but might be fun to make some imaginary bets to see how we might have done had we played. Rules as I understand them are that you must make a bet of at least $250 for 10 of the 12 races offered. Of course, if you win along the way or you feel more daring, you can bet more. I think what generally happens in these contests is that players make the minimum bets in several races and may play bigger on races they may feel more confident about and then, if they do well, they make a really big bet in one of the later races at the end of the contest. Bets can be WPS, Exactas, Quinellas, Tris and Daily Doubles.

Last edited by cal828 : 07-31-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:17 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
Anybody playing in the Saratoga Handicapping Challenge? Only 5,000 dollars. No me neither, but might be fun to make some imaginary bets to see how we might have done had we played. Rules as I understand them are that you must make a bet of at least $250 for 10 of the 12 races offered. Of course, if you win along the way or you feel more daring, you can bet more. I think what generally happens in these contests is that players make the minimum bets in several races and may play bigger on races they may feel more confident about and then, if they do well, they make a really big bet in one of the later races at the end of the contest. Bets can be WPS, Exactas, Quinellas, Tris and Daily Doubles.
Just a "bit" too rich for my blood, although the contest hosts appear to apply all of the entry money toward prizes, so there is no takeout for your investment. I don't know any way to really play along without doing it race by race and making the determination of what to wager on and how much to wager based on both your remaining bankroll and what your opponents are doing. $2,500 of the upfront money goes to your bankroll, and you keep whatever is in your bankroll at the end of the day. As you approach the final races, I imagine there are some very tough decisions of how much of your bankroll you want to risk on a final bet to try to win one of the NHC seats or cash prizes versus having a sizeable bankroll to take home at the end of the day.
Old 07-31-2020, 12:03 PM
Havre de Grace

I agree, not much way to make it like the real contest as there is strategy involved in the latter stages of the contest depending on how much you are ahead or behind, but still, you could make imaginary minimum bets in all races to determine whether you would have anything at the end of the contest or whether you would have gone bust before the end. Not perfect, but might give you an idea of how you might have done.

I am not familiar with where all these live money contests are played. I imagine that the one that just concluded at Monmouth might have been the one to play from the cost angle. It was $2000, but all Monmouth races. Del Mar also has one. It is $8000 and there are others. Of course, the mother of all contests is the BCBC at $10000.

Yep, that "sizable bankroll to take home at the end of the day" is what would bother me. It would be hard for me to throw caution to the wind and not at least take my entry fee home, but the winners of such contests are very brave and probably have deeper pockets than me.

Last edited by cal828 : 07-31-2020 at 12:27 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:55 AM
Havre de Grace

Default Picks for the Saratoga Handicapping Challenge

R2

$25 tri 1//2,3,4//2,3,4
$25 ex 1//2,4
$25 ex 2,4//1

R4

$25 tri 3//2,5,7//2,5,7
$25 ex 3//5,7
$25 ex 5,7//3

R5

$30 tri 3//2,4,6//2,4,6
$35 tri 3//4,6//4,6

R6

$25 tri 5//2,6,7//2,6,7
$25 ex 5//6,7
$25 ex 6,7//5

R7

$25 tri 7//2,8,10//2,8,10
$25 ex 7//2,10
$25 ex 2,10//7

R8

$25 tri 7//1.3.8//1,3,8
$25 ex 7//1,8
$25 ex 1,8//7

R9

$40 tri 3,5//3,5//1,2
$30 tri 5//1,2//1,2,3

R10

$25 tri 6//2,5,11//2,5,11
$25 ex 6//2,5
$25 ex 2,5//6

Race 11 and 12 later, if I still have any imaginary money left.

Last edited by cal828 : 08-01-2020 at 12:10 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:35 PM
Havre de Grace

Good thing this was just monopoly money.

Might as well make it complete.

R11 $25 tri 6//2,4,5//2,4,5
$50 ex 4,5//6
$50 ex 6//4,5

R12 $25 tri 7//5,6,9//5,6,9
$50 ex 6,9//7
$50 ex 7//6,9

Last edited by cal828 : 08-01-2020 at 05:49 PM.