Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-28-2010, 06:12 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
It's their utter stupidity which makes them that way.

Utter, irrefutable,irrevocable,unequivocal and consummate stupidity.
Obviously we have different views on what criteria makes a player great. You and utter stupidity go hand in hand. Cribbs while not a great player isnt no slouch either. He still hasnt had a winning season, won a playoff game or yet alone a Super Bowl. Seems like you feel stats make a player great vice winning playoff games or a Super Bowl. Maybe he has had a winning season with Cleveland but he definitely hasnt won a playoff game or Super Bowl.
Old 10-28-2010, 06:26 AM
Dee Tee Stables

a player can be a great one, consistently, without a playoff or superbowl ring. it is a team sport, with a great many other players helping to make or break the team. take the colts opener for instance, peyton looked awesome, and his stats looked like a winning qb's stats-but they lost the game.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar1966 View Post
Sorry I forgot to remind you about the pigs being the only six time Super Bowl winning franchise in the history of the NFL. Have the Brownies ever made it to the Super Bowl. I dont even know if they ever made it to the conference championship game. If they did was it when Brian Sipe was the QB. From what I have seen and heard so far I think McCoy has a bright future in the NFL. Im hoping he gets to play for a better team some day. I guess you dont think 28-10 is a sh t kicking. Stats dont matter, only the score matters. Cribbs could of contributed to four touchdowns but if the score was 31-28 in favor of the pigs, then who give a sh t about stats. Stats are more of a personal thing. Unfortunately all that some players care about are thier own stats and not about the team winning.
You collossal idiot. the Browns won 4 Super Bowls before the Steelers won any. Yes, perhaps the NFL did not exist in your mind before the Super Bowl existed as with most Steeler fans but it really did and yes count them, 4 NFL champsionships to 6 for the Steelers. Wow, massive difference there. It's all ancient history, the first 4 Steeler championships are as ancient as the Browns 4. Steelers are best "modern" franchise without question, but who cares.

And Otto Graham was the best player in NFL history for those who really want to know. He was a professional football player for 10 seasons and played in 10 championship games and was 7-3 in those games. Of course not all were NFL, but if playoff games and championships are what matters, obviously he is the best of all time. But 6 NFL seasons and 3-3 in championship games. You certainly agree that Graham was the best qb in NFL history...nice to know.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:32 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Obviously we have different views on what criteria makes a player great. You and utter stupidity go hand in hand. Cribbs while not a great player isnt no slouch either. He still hasnt had a winning season, won a playoff game or yet alone a Super Bowl. Seems like you feel stats make a player great vice winning playoff games or a Super Bowl. Maybe he has had a winning season with Cleveland but he definitely hasnt won a playoff game or Super Bowl.
So by this reasoning....

Jim "pig nose" Plunkett
Jeff Hostetler
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Mark Rypien
Doug Williams
and countless others

.............are great football players.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:02 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown@club View Post
So by this reasoning....

Jim "pig nose" Plunkett
Jeff Hostetler
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Mark Rypien
Doug Williams
and countless others

They aren't great, but, to be great, you better do something that even these guys got done. Again, this is about modern-era guys. If someone goes to the post 10 times, and loses the only Superbowl he got his team to, then, he wasn't great.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:08 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
a player can be a great one, consistently, without a playoff or superbowl ring. it is a team sport, with a great many other players helping to make or break the team. take the colts opener for instance, peyton looked awesome, and his stats looked like a winning qb's stats-but they lost the game.
PEYTON consistently puts that team on his back, and carries it. He's great. He's got his ring. Peyton, Montana, and Elway were far better than that choker Marino.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:59 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
I agree with Peyton being a great player. He has a ring, won playoff games, and has had numerous winning seasons already.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:02 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
So by this reasoning....

Jim "pig nose" Plunkett
Jeff Hostetler
Trent Dilfer
Brad Johnson
Mark Rypien
Doug Williams
and countless others

I never said the above were great players. All im saying to be conseidered to maybe being a great player they should have winning seasons, playoff wins, and a Super Bowl ring.
Old 10-28-2010, 12:07 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse View Post
You collossal idiot. the Browns won 4 Super Bowls before the Steelers won any. Yes, perhaps the NFL did not exist in your mind before the Super Bowl existed as with most Steeler fans but it really did and yes count them, 4 NFL champsionships to 6 for the Steelers. Wow, massive difference there. It's all ancient history, the first 4 Steeler championships are as ancient as the Browns 4. Steelers are best "modern" franchise without question, but who cares.

And Otto Graham was the best player in NFL history for those who really want to know. He was a professional football player for 10 seasons and played in 10 championship games and was 7-3 in those games. Of course not all were NFL, but if playoff games and championships are what matters, obviously he is the best of all time. But 6 NFL seasons and 3-3 in championship games. You certainly agree that Graham was the best qb in NFL history...nice to know.

Hey moron. What have the Browns done lately other than play crappy football? The last of the titles that the Browns won was in the Stone Ages. Steeelrs have won two Super Bowls in the last four years. But who cares about the Steelers being the best modern franchise. Sounds like your a jealous fan. Maybe your team hasnt won a Super Bowl yet? Yet make the playoffs. The might be contending every year for a top ten pick in the draft.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER View Post
They aren't great, but, to be great, you better do something that even these guys got done. Again, this is about modern-era guys. If someone goes to the post 10 times, and loses the only Superbowl he got his team to, then, he wasn't great.
This is an article that list 4th quarter comebacks. Not really a big deal as the stat was really created for John Elway.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=3401

But most Super Bowl winning teams are not usually flukes (except for the Patriots first Super Bowl victory), but are complete package teams.

Was there anything weak with Montana's teams? Steve Young's? Both great QB's.

John Elway couldn't win one until he finally got a running game.
Brett Favre only won one, and his team had no flaws whatsoever.
I will always think that Peyton Manning looked like Trent Dilfer in his win over the Bears. The Bears known to stop the run all season had no answer on stopping Addai and Rhodes. I still think Rhodes or the offensive line was the MVP of that game.

But when you talk about Marino and Dolphins, its always one dimensional. They had no running game period.

I'm not a fan of hypotheticals, but what happens if you put Marino on any of those teams I mentioned? Does he choke it?

Last edited by Crown@club : 10-28-2010 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Saratoga

Quote:

fucl< you and fucl< your rub-a-dub,too
Old 10-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Hey moron. What have the Browns done lately other than play crappy football? The last of the titles that the Browns won was in the Stone Ages. Steeelrs have won two Super Bowls in the last four years. But who cares about the Steelers being the best modern franchise. Sounds like your a jealous fan. Maybe your team hasnt won a Super Bowl yet? Yet make the playoffs. The might be contending every year for a top ten pick in the draft.
I believe they knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs last year. Steelers win that game they make the playoffs. If the Steelers beat a 1-11 team, a defending Super bowl champion makes the playoffs. Didn't happen. That is what they have done lately. My team has won 4 NFL Championships. Yours has won 6. Those are facts...pure and simple facts. I'm not really jealous of the Steelers. If I was, I really wouldn't have stated they are the best "modern" franchise.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:04 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I believe they knocked the Steelers out of the playoffs last year. Steelers win that game they make the playoffs. If the Steelers beat a 1-11 team, a defending Super bowl champion makes the playoffs. Didn't happen. That is what they have done lately. My team has won 4 NFL Championships. Yours has won 6. Those are facts...pure and simple facts. I'm not really jealous of the Steelers. If I was, I really wouldn't have stated they are the best "modern" franchise.

HC, you can't reason with doorknobs who haven't been turned in 30 years.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:06 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:

If they would have beaten any of the teams that they lost to last year when they went to sleep for the 4-5 games they lost in a row they would of been in the playoffs. They didnt execute on the field when they had to, so they didnt go to the playoffs.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:07 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post

fucl< you and fucl< your rub-a-dub,too

Love your level of maturity. Im not going to lower myself to your level. Im going to go and get ready for work. You can crawl back into your crib.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:09 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
This is an article that list 4th quarter comebacks. Not really a big deal as the stat was really created for John Elway.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/?p=3401

But most Super Bowl winning teams are not usually flukes (except for the Patriots first Super Bowl), but are complete package teams.

Was there anything weak with Montana's teams? Steve Young's? Both great QB's.

John Elway couldn't win one until he finally got a running game.
Brett Favre only won one, and his team had no flaws whatsoever.
I will always think that Peyton Manning looked like Trent Dilfer in his win over the Bears. The Bears known to stop the run all season had no answer on stopping Addai and Rhodes. I still think Rhodes or the offensive line was the MVP of that game.

But when you talk about Marino and Dolphins, its always one dimensional. They had no running game period.

I'm not a fan of hypotheticals, but what happens if you put Marino on any of those teams I mentioned? Does he choke it?
You have brought about a great point with Marino. I also agree with you, it doesnt hurt a QB to have a good supporting cast of players.
Old 10-28-2010, 04:12 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
If they would have beaten any of the teams that they lost to last year when they went to sleep for the 4-5 games they lost in a row they would of been in the playoffs. They didnt execute on the field when they had to, so they didnt go to the playoffs.
yeah, but it was the Steelers LAST loss of the year...they won out, so that one was the dagger. It was THE one that kept them out.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:14 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER View Post
PEYTON consistently puts that team on his back, and carries it. He's great. He's got his ring. Peyton, Montana, and Elway were far better than that choker Marino.
Right. Let's remember who his team beat and how Manning 'put that team on his back' en route to that Super Bowl, shall we?

• 23-8 over the Kansas City Chiefs, coached by Herman Edwards (out of football) and quarterbacked by Trent Green (out of football, threw more picks than TDs that year). Manning threw 3 INTs in this game and the main reason the Colts won was the defense's ability to stop a completely gassed Larry Johnson (416 carries that year, would never be the same).

• 15-6 over the Baltimore Ravens, once again, not because of Manning, who threw 0 TDs and 2 INTs that day. Baltimore was QB'ed by an over-the-hill Steve McNair and their RB was an over-the-hill Jamal Lewis. McNair's best WR was Mark Clayton, who's never broken 50 receptions or 700 yards since 2006. Manning never got his team into the end zone and they won with 5 Adam Vinatieri field goals.

• 38-34 over the New England Patriots. This is the game everyone remembers, as the Colts fell behind 21-3 at home to the Pats before roaring back to win in the 2nd half. Manning threw for 349 yards in this game, but only 1 TD and 1 INT, and let's remember who he was facing. Brady's great, but his #1 WR that year was Reche Caldwell. Need I say more? This was also the last game New England's washed up RB Corey Dillon would ever play. A far cry from the 18-1 Pats team of the following year.

• 29-17 over the Chicago Bears. Manning has a respectable game of 247, 1 TD and 1 INT, but again, who was on the other sideline? Rex Grossman, who had calls for his head all season and postseason that year despite the Bears going 13-3. The same guy who's started all of 8 games in the NFL since the Super Bowl. He was predictably awful in this game, throwing for 165, 1 TD and 2 INTs. And let's not even mention the coaching discrepancy.

Manning's stat line in the 4 games that postseason: 97-163, 1,034 yards, 3 TDs, 7 INTs. A whopping 66.4 QB rating, compared to his lifetime 95.5 number.

But yet this brilliant stretch is what makes him great and not a loser like Marino.

Listen, as a Jet fan, nothing makes me happier than the fact that Marino never won anything and became synonymous with the word 'choker' in the NFL. But Manning was as lucky as lucky gets to win his one Super Bowl and he should be far more famous for his failures in the postseason than his one 'success'. He's probably the greatest regular season quarterback who ever lived, but this is what people who actually know and watch the game will associate him with way before the one time he managed to not play worse than Rex Grossman.

The guy is 9-9 in the postseason despite his team averaging 12.2 wins per season in 10 playoff years. But yeah, he's great and Marino's a choker.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:44 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Right. Let's remember who his team beat and how Manning 'put that team on his back' en route to that Super Bowl, shall we?

• 23-8 over the Kansas City Chiefs, coached by Herman Edwards (out of football) and quarterbacked by Trent Green (out of football, threw more picks than TDs that year). Manning threw 3 INTs in this game and the main reason the Colts won was the defense's ability to stop a completely gassed Larry Johnson (416 carries that year, would never be the same).

• 15-6 over the Baltimore Ravens, once again, not because of Manning, who threw 0 TDs and 2 INTs that day. Baltimore was QB'ed by an over-the-hill Steve McNair and their RB was an over-the-hill Jamal Lewis. McNair's best WR was Mark Clayton, who's never broken 50 receptions or 700 yards since 2006. Manning never got his team into the end zone and they won with 5 Adam Vinatieri field goals.

• 38-34 over the New England Patriots. This is the game everyone remembers, as the Colts fell behind 21-3 at home to the Pats before roaring back to win in the 2nd half. Manning threw for 349 yards in this game, but only 1 TD and 1 INT, and let's remember who he was facing. Brady's great, but his #1 WR that year was Reche Caldwell. Need I say more? This was also the last game New England's washed up RB Corey Dillon would ever play. A far cry from the 18-1 Pats team of the following year.

• 29-17 over the Chicago Bears. Manning has a respectable game of 247, 1 TD and 1 INT, but again, who was on the other sideline? Rex Grossman, who had calls for his head all season and postseason that year despite the Bears going 13-3. The same guy who's started all of 8 games in the NFL since the Super Bowl. He was predictably awful in this game, throwing for 165, 1 TD and 2 INTs. And let's not even mention the coaching discrepancy.

Manning's stat line in the 4 games that postseason: 97-163, 1,034 yards, 3 TDs, 7 INTs. A whopping 66.4 QB rating, compared to his lifetime 95.5 number.

But yet this brilliant stretch is what makes him great and not a loser like Marino.

Listen, as a Jet fan, nothing makes me happier than the fact that Marino never won anything and became synonymous with the word 'choker' in the NFL. But Manning was as lucky as lucky gets to win his one Super Bowl and he should be far more famous for his failures in the postseason than his one 'success'. He's probably the greatest regular season quarterback who ever lived, but this is what people who actually know and watch the game will associate him with way before the one time he managed to not play worse than Rex Grossman.

The guy is 9-9 in the postseason despite his team averaging 12.2 wins per season in 10 playoff years. But yeah, he's great and Marino's a choker.
Agree with everything you say. That aside, Manning and Marino are BOTH great. Manning IS a choker and gets flustered often when it counts the most. Marino never had much of a shot to get to where it counts the most to prove it. I think the tag of him being a choker is ridiculous. The one time he makes the superbowl, he faces one of the best teams ever playing in their own back yard.
Old 10-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Love your level of maturity. Im not going to lower myself to your level. Im going to go and get ready for work. You can crawl back into your crib.
fucl< you and yo bus boy job,too