Old 09-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Oriental Park

Default ryder cup

Can't see the USA winning this week

Monty hurt his team by not taking Casey , but , i don't think it matters

Course will not help americans here
Old 09-28-2010, 11:26 PM
Santa Anita

The Ryder Cup. Until they change it I won't care. Ummm, you have 12 players on a team. 12 divided by 2 is 6 not 4. To have 8 of the best professional golfers in the world stand around watching other people people play the 4 ball and foursomes two mornings and afternoons is ridiculous. I have never comprehended the logic of not having every golfer play every match. Pure stupidity is this event. The President's Cup is a hair better as I think they only have 4 of the best in the world watching each morning and afternoon the first two days.

I wonder if Ryder Cup officials will ever figure this out? 8 guys with the potential to shoot a 62 are watching golf shots instead of hitting them. Go ahead and make it 8 man teams, then it would be worth watching. I remember back in the day, Europe would always sit guys the entire two days and have them only play singles when they weren't as deep as the US. I felt them winning the Ryder Cup was meaningless doing this. It proved nothing.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:07 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse View Post
The Ryder Cup. Until they change it I won't care. Ummm, you have 12 players on a team. 12 divided by 2 is 6 not 4. To have 8 of the best professional golfers in the world stand around watching other people people play the 4 ball and foursomes two mornings and afternoons is ridiculous. I have never comprehended the logic of not having every golfer play every match. Pure stupidity is this event. The President's Cup is a hair better as I think they only have 4 of the best in the world watching each morning and afternoon the first two days.

I wonder if Ryder Cup officials will ever figure this out? 8 guys with the potential to shoot a 62 are watching golf shots instead of hitting them. Go ahead and make it 8 man teams, then it would be worth watching. I remember back in the day, Europe would always sit guys the entire two days and have them only play singles when they weren't as deep as the US. I felt them winning the Ryder Cup was meaningless doing this. It proved nothing.
I disagree completely. If you have one or 2 players off form it could cause you to lose the cup. Look at Overton for the US, he has been awful recently. Do you want to give away four points because earlier in the year he got a bunch of suck up top 10's? Has he never won a tournament on tour? I'm not saying he can't turn it around but he hasn't played well recently.

Here are the results of Overtons last tournaments
8/15/10 PGA Championship 71 74 71 74 79 -- 298 +10 $13,900.00
8/29/10 The Barclays T56 68 73 73 71 -- 285 +1 $16,875.00
9/06/10 Deutsche Bank Championship CUT 70 72 -- -- -- 142 E --
9/12/10 BMW Championship T57 72 76 72 74 -- 294 +10 $16,800.00
9/26/10 THE TOUR Championship presented by Coca-Cola 29 75 70 73 73 -- 291 +11 $121,500.00

I feel by sitting people it adds to the strategy and intrigue. What if Tiger is still playing crappy, will Pavin have the balls to sit him? Let the best players settle it, not players you are stuck with because they played well two years ago.
Old 09-29-2010, 06:59 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kings View Post
I disagree completely. If you have one or 2 players off form it could cause you to lose the cup. Look at Overton for the US, he has been awful recently. Do you want to give away four points because earlier in the year he got a bunch of suck up top 10's? Has he never won a tournament on tour? I'm not saying he can't turn it around but he hasn't played well recently.

Here are the results of Overtons last tournaments
8/15/10 PGA Championship 71 74 71 74 79 -- 298 +10 $13,900.00
8/29/10 The Barclays T56 68 73 73 71 -- 285 +1 $16,875.00
9/06/10 Deutsche Bank Championship CUT 70 72 -- -- -- 142 E --
9/12/10 BMW Championship T57 72 76 72 74 -- 294 +10 $16,800.00
9/26/10 THE TOUR Championship presented by Coca-Cola 29 75 70 73 73 -- 291 +11 $121,500.00

I feel by sitting people it adds to the strategy and intrigue. What if Tiger is still playing crappy, will Pavin have the balls to sit him? Let the best players settle it, not players you are stuck with because they played well two years ago.
That's ridiculous. Qualification is heavily based on the current year...thus Overton qualified. He played very well through July. Woods did not qualify. He was SELECTED by Pavin to PLAY. How did Fowler play in the Fed EX Cup playoffs?? Horrible. Didn't even make the Tour Championship. He was SELECTED by Pavin to PLAY. He actually chose someone not playing really well to play because of his match play success in the Walker Cup....Great, let's see him play match play all day long, not watch him watch someone else hit golf shots. No--having everyone play every match would actually add to the strategy. Figuring out who to pair a player not playing well with to increase their chances of winning takes strategy. Benching someone not playing well takes zero strategy. I'm one who actually prefers a 12 horse field in a grade 1 race than a 4 horse field. I'd rather see Overton, Woods, and Fowler and Harrington and Molinari play every single match. Every one of them is capable of going low on any particular day. The Ryder Cup is an exercise in deprivation of performance opportunity by a stupid set up. All 24 players should play all 5 rounds available to see which side really set up the best team in the two years they had to do it. Yeah, great event...figure out which great golfer should not play golf today to win a golfing competition. The Ryder Cup stinks.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:35 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678 View Post
Can't see the USA winning this week

Monty hurt his team by not taking Casey , but , i don't think it matters

Course will not help americans here
I see a way we can win.... Have you know who lay money on the Euros and we will win it going away.
Old 09-29-2010, 12:27 PM
Randwyck

Overton and Mickelson getting paired up together should lead to a chance for a couple of pts in alternate shot.
Overton said he needed the break he had 2 weeks ago, but it sure didn't translate to this past week's showing.

Tiger should be out there for at 3 events. Best Ball.

Have no idea about the other players' pairings.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Goodwood

I hate to say it, but I really think the US is going to get steamrolled.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski View Post
God, I hope so.
Old 09-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Santa Anita

ooooohhhhh, only less than two days until we can witness the pure unadulterated excitement of watching 8 golfers watch golf shots and not play golf to determine a winner of a golfing competition. can't wait.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:10 PM
arizonadave

Quote:
Originally Posted by horseofcourse View Post
ooooohhhhh, only less than two days until we can witness the pure unadulterated excitement of watching 8 golfers watch golf shots and not play golf to determine a winner of a golfing competition. can't wait.
My two brothers are there to watch this. The only way I would go is to play the courses there.
Old 09-29-2010, 07:51 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
I don't see it Phil. Europe may win, but I don't think it's gonna be a steamroll. I, for one, am looking forward to a great weekend of golf.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPK View Post
I don't see it Phil. Europe may win, but I don't think it's gonna be a steamroll. I, for one, am looking forward to a great weekend of golf.
The Euro lineup is stronger top to bottom... and they don't even have two of their best players on the team (Casey and Rose.) Homecourt advantage on a course built specifically for this event. Based on how they are playing right now/have played in previous Ryder Cups, I would rank them as such:

Jim Furyk Rory McIlroy
Dustin Johnson Luke Donald
Steve Stricker Graeme McDowell
Phil Mickelson Ian Poulter
Zach Johnson Martin Kaymer
Stewart Cink Lee Westwood (Westwood has an injury concern or would be higher)
Tiger Woods Francesco Molinari
Bubba Watson Edoardo Molinari
Matt Kuchar Ross Fisher
Rickie Fowler Padraig Harrington
Hunter Mahan Miguel Angel Jimenez
Jeff Overton Peter Hanson
Old 09-29-2010, 08:17 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
The Euro lineup is stronger top to bottom... and they don't even have two of their best players on the team (Casey and Rose.) Homecourt advantage on a course built specifically for this event. Based on how they are playing right now/have played in previous Ryder Cups, I would rank them as such:

Jim Furyk Rory McIlroy
Dustin Johnson Luke Donald
Steve Stricker Graeme McDowell
Phil Mickelson Ian Poulter
Zach Johnson Martin Kaymer
Stewart Cink Lee Westwood (Westwood has an injury concern or would be higher)
Tiger Woods Francesco Molinari
Bubba Watson Edoardo Molinari
Matt Kuchar Ross Fisher
Rickie Fowler Padraig Harrington
Hunter Mahan Miguel Angel Jimenez
Jeff Overton Peter Hanson

That's all well and good bro...but it's The Ryder Cup, ANYTHING can, and usually does, happen. The game of golf is a fickle, fickle mistress
Old 09-29-2010, 08:42 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
That's all well and good bro...but it's The Ryder Cup, ANYTHING can, and usually does, happen. The game of golf is a fickle, fickle mistress
Every Ryder Cup there are at least 5 miracle match play acts of God that turn or win matches. Throw away the expectations, the Cup is won by the better team, time and time again.

Tiger will win or be party to at least 3 points this weekend, as he takes advantage of the strongest part of his game. Match play is the wheelhouse of his previous game.
Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by docicu3 View Post
Every Ryder Cup there are at least 5 miracle match play acts of God that turn or win matches. Throw away the expectations, the Cup is won by the better team, time and time again.
I beg to differ. See 2008 Ryder Cup. On paper, that European team should have drowned the US...but we all know what happened there.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
I beg to differ. See 2008 Ryder Cup. On paper, that European team should have drowned the US...but we all know what happened there.
I should have said the better Match Play team which is what was meant by citing the big shots or match turning points. For the USA it is usually about the singles but "risk reward golf courses" give the USA team more than a chance but your right Kev I said it poorly.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:13 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
True. I worked the Ryder Cup in '95, and the US team was SO much better than the Euros... and lost.

I like it less than I used to, but it's still a great event.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:16 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
True. I worked the Ryder Cup in '95, and the US team was SO much better than the Euros... and lost.

I like it less than I used to, but it's still a great event.
Love that golf course. Got a chance to play it in 1997 when we were in town for the tournament at Locust Hills.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Love that golf course. Got a chance to play it in 1997 when we were in town for the tournament at Locust Hills.
I worked there for 3 years. I like it a lot, especially because it brings major tournament golf to my home town... but think it's overrated nationally. Golf Digest had it #11 in the country this time around, I am 100% positive just in NY it should not be rated above National Golf Links, Bethpage Black, and Winged Foot East- and those are just ones I've played.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:32 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
I worked there for 3 years. I like it a lot, especially because it brings major tournament golf to my home town... but think it's overrated nationally. Golf Digest had it #11 in the country this time around, I am 100% positive just in NY it should not be rated above National Golf Links, Bethpage Black, and Winged Foot East- and those are just ones I've played.
Yeah, it was nice, but I can't see it being ranked that high.