Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
You are the only licensed Horsey Funeral Director here.You must continue.doo-dah's intent was there, but he just doesn't know what he's doing.BurpieDoll had good intent, but her effort was just this side of abysmal.

Gooey,sometimes the stink a the message boards is hard to get out of your clothes....but it's something you have to do it so you may continue your fine work.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:32 PM
Saratoga

So much you thank.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:03 PM
Saratoga

Chocolate Candy...

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bar-N...12454732107605
Old 12-21-2011, 07:13 PM
Jerome Park

oh noooooo
Old 12-21-2011, 07:21 PM
Saratoga

I liked CC, too...a lot.

This really blows.

MidnightMass and now him.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:20 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
Wow totally missed this. Just happened to see an article on Thoroughbred Times. I figured I better look to see if someone had posted about it first. How tragic to lose a horse at this stage of their life and career.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Santa Anita

VOLKSRAAD (23 years old)

NZ champion sire eight times.

58 stakes winners; 14 G1 winners.

Sire of Military Move, Sir Slick, Dezigna, Veloce Bella, Izonit, Clifton Prince, Vinaka, Distill, Star Satire, A Chance To Dream and so many more.

A legend. RIP.

http://www.theinformant.co.nz/racing...d-laid-to-rest

Last edited by _ed_ : 12-27-2011 at 05:25 PM.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:56 PM
Washington Park

OMG, Volksraad was so beautiful. RIP big boy.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:08 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_ View Post
VOLKSRAAD (23 years old)

NZ champion sire eight times.

58 stakes winners; 14 G1 winners.

Sire of Military Move, Sir Slick, Dezigna, Veloce Bella, Izonit, Clifton Prince, Vinaka, Distill, Star Satire, A Chance To Dream and so many more.

A legend. RIP.

http://www.theinformant.co.nz/racing...d-laid-to-rest
I too just read that today.... Sad... and indeed was a handsome fella.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM
Arlington Park

GOLDEN SILVER

Golden Silver dies after Dial-A-Bet Chase fall

By James Burn 3:53PM 27 DEC 2011 GOLDEN SILVER, the winner of three Grade 1 races including the 2009 Paddy Power Dial-A-Bet Chase, died on Tuesday following a fall in this year's race at Leopardstown.

Trained by Willie Mullins for Violet O'Leary, the nine-year-old chased the leaders in the 2m1f contest, but took a crashing fall at the fifth fence.

RELATED LINKS
Golden Silver career profile
Jockey Paul Townend, who rode the son of Mansonnien, was stood down for the rest of the Leopardstown card and taken to hospital.

Paying tribute, Mullins said: "He will be sorely missed in our yard because he was one of our great servants. He was a character too and all the girls in our place loved him and anyone could ride him.

"He was very classy, as all those big-race victories showed."

Formerly in the care of Hubert Hosselet, Golden Silver joined Mullins in 2008 and was soon off the mark for his new trainer, winning a beginners' chase at Naas.

He then landed the Grade 1 Arkle Novice Chase in January 2009.

His next top-level success came in the Dial-A-Bet and he also added the Champion Chase at the 2010 Punchestown festival to his cv.

Golden Silver, who won £590,323 in prize-money, never really fired in three visits to the Cheltenham Festival but enjoyed a great association with Townend. The pair combined 19 times for ten victories, including the three Grade 1s.

"He hit the top and I'd say he broke his neck when he hit the ground, it was pretty sickening and fairly awful to watch," said Townend. "Golden Silver was good to me and I'll miss him."

COPYRIGHT © 2011 Centurycomm Limited or its licensors, all rights reserved Search All
Categories
All
Horses
Jockeys
Trainers
Owners
Courses
Stallions
Dams
Greyhounds
Old 12-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Arlington Park

MILITARY HAWK

Military Hawk, one of the most durable and classy Thoroughbreds in Washington history, has died from colic, trainer Sharon Ross said.

Winner of 12 stakes and $688,128 in an exceptional 86-race career, the 24-year-old gelding expired during the week of Dec. 18 at Sharon and Larry Ross' farm in Auburn.

A 1987 foal owned and bred by George and Norma Sedlock's G & N Thoroughbreds, Military Hawk ranks second on the state's all-time earnings list. He might be the only horse ever to win races at Longacres, Playfair, Yakima Meadows, and Emerald Downs. The gelding's final race was Aug. 17, 1997 at Emerald Downs, a head victory in a $40,000 claiming race with Hall of Fame jockey Gary Stevens aboard.

Stevens also was up when Military Hawk won the 1992 Washington Championship--the final stakes race in Longacres History--en route to honors as the state's top handicap Horse that year.

By Colonel Stevens--S.S. Hawk, Military Hawk debuted July 26, 1989 at Longacres, finishing second in a $16,000 maiden-claiming race for 2-year-olds. Military Hawk won stakes at Playfair and Yakima Meadows that fall, and would continue racing through his 10-year-old season in 1997. At Longacres, he finished second in the 1990 Longacres Derby and in 1991 won both the Renton Handicap and Seattle Handicap.

Military Hawk also won stakes in California at Bay Meadows, Pleasanton, Solano, and Santa Rosa, and in Canada at Exhibition Park. Military Hawk spent his retirement at the Ross farm with former runners like Passing Game, Branden's Brandy, Marketal and 1985 Longacres Mile winner Chum Salmon, who died in 2005 at age 25.

Copyright © 2011 Blood-Horse Publications. All rights reserved internationally.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:47 AM
Saratoga

...uhm, excuse me......but may I see your horsey funeral director's license??...
Old 12-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
...uhm, excuse me......but may I see your horsey funeral director's license??...
No license, just a baton.

A baton that can be used as a lethal weapon so behave yourself in here.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:42 PM
Saratoga

..yup, she's got it...
Old 12-31-2011, 05:25 PM
Arlington Park

SECRETS UNTOLD

Written by AAP
Saturday, 31 December 2011 16:30

Tears flowed freely at Doomben on Saturday when Secrets Untold fatally snapped his shoulder in full view of the crowd and forced the stoppage of a race for the first time in memory.

Secrets Untold, a nine-year-old gelding having his 77th start, stumbled and dislodged jockey Scott Seamer as the big field thundered out of the straight on the first lap of the 2020m race.

Seamer and Secrets Untold lay prone on the track as barrier attendants assembled a man-made barricade around the pair while stewards signalled to other jockeys to restrain their mounts as the field approached the home straight on the second lap.

Seamer was momentarily knocked unconscious and had no recollection of the horrific incident when he returned to the enclosure, and Secrets Untold was put down.

Chief steward Wade Birch said the incident was the first of its kind in his memory.

"We've never had to stop a race to avoid a fallen horse and/or jockey in my time," Birch said.

"There was a similar incident in the Toowoomba Cup about 10 years ago when a horse reared at the start and knocked itself out but the field went around it.

"We called the race off today as the field approached the 1100 metres.

"In the interest and safety of the jockey we had no other option and it was the best thing to do."

Stewards held an immediate inquiry and found nobody at fault.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:29 PM
Arlington Park

Gulfstream:

Stevie Jones-2 year old colt by Smarty Jones
Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Dee Tee Stables

cardmania, 1993 sprint champ- had an inoperable tumor.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Saratoga

Dear Ms. Debodeb will you kindly start the thread for this year?

Thanks.

Still from 2011...

See You Then, an amaing horse who won three consecutive Champion Hurdles. He lived till 31.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...969106/latest/
Old 01-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
Dear Ms. Debodeb will you kindly start the thread for this year?

Thanks.

Still from 2011...

See You Then, an amaing horse who won three consecutive Champion Hurdles. He lived till 31.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...969106/latest/
Will do and will move Cardmania there. (thanks Deb for posting Cardmania).
Old 01-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Arlington Park

Bellacourt-2

NY Stakes Winner Bellacourt Euthanized
By Esther Marr
Updated: Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:43 PM
Posted: Thursday, January 26, 2012 4:37 PM
BellacourtNew York-based stakes winner Bellacourt, who finished third to eventual champion 2-year-old filly My Miss Aurelia in last year’s Adirondack Stakes (gr. II) at Saratoga, was euthanized in mid December due to complications from laminitis.

According to trainer James Lawrence, Bellacourt had been working toward a start in the Nov. 19 Delta Downs Princess Stakes (gr. III) when she fractured her left front sesamoid at Fair Hill Training Center in Maryland.

“We were breezing five eighths of a mile and in the last eighth when she switched leads, she just took a bad step and broke her sesamoid,” said Lawrence of the filly, who is owned by North Carolina-based attorneys George and Stephanie Autry.

Bellacourt underwent a series of surgeries under the care of veterinarian Dean Richardson at New Bolton Center in West Chester, Pa., to repair the original injury, as well as other subsequent ailments, such as a tissue infection, colic, and a collapsed pastern.

Following the fourth surgery, Bellacourt had shown signs of improvement, but then developed a serious case of laminitis.

“She was doing really well, and then all of a sudden she took a turn for the worst, and we elected not to put her through any more pain,” said Lawrence. “It’s a real shame because she was such a talented filly. I think she was going to be very tough in New York company this year and also in open graded stakes.”

Added George Autry, who started in the industry about seven years ago: “She took us to a place we haven’t been before, so she will always be special for that reason.”

Bellacourt, a daughter of Lion Heart—Gold Court, by Strike the Gold, won two of her five career starts, including the Oct. 22 restricted Joseph A. Gimma Stakes at Belmont Park. Bred in New York by Cheryl Prudhomme and Dr. Michael Gallivan, she had earnings of $101,550.

Copyright © 2012 Blood-Horse Publications. All rights reserved internationally.

Put this in the 2011 thread since the article said she was euthanized in December.