Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 09:11 AM
Steve Byk

Default Outrage over kill-penned former Paragallo mares..

Confusion swirling and outrage is being directed at Paraneck Stable's enigmatic Ernie Paragallo over a consignment of 24 former Paraneck broodmares that ended up in the kill pen. 8 were rescued. Paragallo has responded that he was unaware of the disposition of the 24 mares after they were given to a Florida agent. Paragallo says he had made a previous deal with the same individual and thought he was 'on the square'.

This all comes of course on the eve of Paraneck's entries in the Wood and Carter Saturday... Don't think this story is going to fade away so quick for Ernie.

AC4H- 4 Thoroughbred Mares In Need of Assistance....

http://www.ac4h.com/TBHelpNeeded.htm

Approximately two weeks Another Chance 4 Horses and a few rescue colleagues were alerted to the arrival of a large group of Thoroughbred mares that were dropped off at the New York kill pen. A woman in New York purchased three of the mares. Once home, she identified the mares and contacted a few Thoroughbred rescue people in an effort to help more of the horses. After speaking with the dealer/kill buyer who had the horses, AC4H was able to retrieve four additional mares from the group. The four mares’ condition was too poor to ship to slaughter. The remaining horses from the group did, unfortunately, ship to slaughter.

Of the seven that have been saved, the four with AC4H were the worst of the group. They are severely malnourished, heavily infested with worms and lice, and have old, untreated wounds. All of the horses were wearing neck bands with their names on them and the mares with tattoos have been positively identified by their tattoos. One mare, initially thought to be a yearling filly, has been determined to be a five year old and tentatively identified based on the neck band and year of her birth.

All of the mares spent approximately three weeks at the kill pen being fed so that they could be shipped so what you see below is an improvement from how they arrived. Though it has been determined where these mares came from, who shipped them and approximately when, the shipper is not willing to make a statement and AC4H has nobody else to verify the presence of the mares on the farm or the date on which they left. Calls to the owner have not been returned.

The mares were examined by our veterinarian upon arrival at AC4H, including physical exams, blood work and fecal samples. The vet’s written report states that all four mares are suffering the effects of long term, chronic neglect. They are severely underweight, loaded with worms, and infested with lice, which has left them with sore and tender skin. Treatment was started immediately. We are hopeful that all four will recover with proper medical care and careful feeding. Their body condition scores range from 1 to 2 ½ on the Henneke scale. This is after being fed for three weeks.

AC4H is seeking donations to assist with the veterinary care and rehabilitation of these mares. Veterinary costs to date are 3/26/09 $1,188.12 ~ they could desperately use an angel as well. AC4H understands that times are economically challenging but any amount would greatly help these mares. No donation is too small. Thank you.

Additional information will be reported as we receive it we are still investigating this case.

Christy Sheidy, Another Chance 4 Horses www.ac4h.com

Be a "Horse Angel" click here for details about this program

Video that Margaret made for them http://videos.silive.com/2009/04/horses_saved_1.html

The Only Word - infested with lice - has leg puncture wound more pictures and video Theonlyword - $45,100

Coconut Martini - front leg swollen, infested with lice more pictures and video Coconut Martini - $34,285

Bay 04 Mare out of Thrifty Jennifer - she has a Head Tilt which is undiagnosed at this time. Almost 5 years old and pony size - torn vulva - leg wound. more pictures

Finely Decorated - infested with lice - possibly in foal - Finely Decorated was listed as having been bred last year to Adonis in 08' more pictures and video

Finely Decorated - $33,122

· dam of - Interior Designer ($174,465)

· Finely Decorated sold for $80,000 as a 2 year old

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Information gathered by Erin (Thank you!)

Theonlyword & Coconut Martini

News Article from 2004 with these 2 mares winning a race on the same day with the same jockey http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...the_races.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Theonlyword - mentioned in this article http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/...the_races.html

Theonlyword - mentioned as one of Artax offspring on these foals for sale by Artex at Keenland....see pdf...Theonlyword ($45,100). There were more of these similar links for Artex offspring…

http://apps.keeneland.com/sales/Nov04/pdfs/2793.pdf https://secure.keeneland.com/livesal...37&conid=37925

Theonlyword & Coconut Martini (photos of both mares racing on this site) http://www.nybreds.com/racing/bb_0403.html

(3/3) Coconut Martini crushes maiden field

Paraneck Stable's homebred, COCONUT MARTINI, making her third career start, overwhelmed a field of 9-state-bred three year-old fillies today at Aqueduct Racetrack. Trainer Jennifer Pedersen and jockey Richard Migliore teamed up again to win their second race of the Wednesday race card, having won the opener in almost identical fashion. The three year-old filly went to the post as the 4-5 betting favorite. Jennifer Pedersen, who's having a terrific winter meet has now saddled 15-winners and her only client, Paraneck Stable, is the leading owner with earnings of over $782,000.

Breaking from the outside post-position in the six-furlong race, Coconut Martini blasted out of the gate to take command leading by two lengths in the run down the backstretch. Emma M. and Tiamo Mia chased in second and third, respectively to the half-mile pole reached in 47.2, however it was evident it was a mismatch as Migliore hand rode the gray filly through the stretch, opening up a huge lead which she increased to 11-3/4-lengths crossing the wire. Schematic Design, making her debut finished second and Tiamo Mia held on for third. Final time was 1:13 flat.

Winning his second race of the afternoon, Ernie Paragallo (Paraneck Stable), qualified for a breeder's award of $4,920 and a stallion owner's award of $1,722. Coconut Martini became the second Artax sired filly to win this afternoon. Her stablemate, Theonlyword won the opener. Coconut Martini is from the first foal crop of Artax, the 1999 Eclipse Champion Sprinter, who stood at Mr. Paragallo's CenterBrook Farm in Climax, New York and is out of the Houston mare, Houston Station, a sister to stakes winner Ticket to Houston and a half-sister to stakes winner Ghost Story (Silver Ghost).

THEONLYWORD(3/3) Theonlyword romps in Big A. opener

Paraneck Stable's homebred, THEONLYWORD, bet down to the prohibitive 3-5 favorite, went wire to wire to break her maiden at Aqueduct Racetrack. Making her fourth-career start, the three year-old daughter was ridden by jockey Richard Migliore and gave trainer Jennifer Pedersen her 14-victory at the winter meet. A full field of 12-horses contested the state-bred maiden race for three year-old fillies run at six-furlongs over the inner-track.

Breaking sharply, Theonlyword went to the front tracked on the outside by Rizzis Honor who was two-lengths in front of Sweet Tracy. Theonlyword led through fractions of: 23.3 and 47.1 to the top of the stretch where she opened up daylight on the field and while under a drive raced to the wire a 3-1/4-length winner over Sweet Tracy. Bundle of Roses closed to be third. Final time was 1:12.3.

Bred by Ernie Paragallo (Paraneck Stable), who qualified for a breeder's award of $4,920 and as owner of the stallion qualified for a stallion owner's award of $1,722, Theonlyword is from the first foal crop of Eclipse Sprint Champion Artax, who stood at CenterBrook Farm in Climax when he retired before moving to Taylor Made Farm in Kentucky. The three year-old chestnut filly is the first foal out of the Exclusive Gem mare, Exclusive Word, a multiple stakes winner who earned $209,663. Never off the board in all her four-starts, Theonlyword has now earned $45,100.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Finely Decorated (sold for $80,000 as a 2 year old) Interior Designer ($174,465), Paraneck Stable's homebred-and-conceived son of Adonis, advanced from sixth-to-first despite being brushed in the deep stretch and won as the 2.45-to-1 second choice among seven starters, improving his record to 5 - 3 - 2 in 31 starts. He also qualified Paraneck Stable/Stallions -- for which Ernie Paragallo of Lloyds Neck, Long Island is the primary authorized agent -- for an additional $7,452 in breeder and stallion owner awards, being out of seven-time winner Finely Decorated, whom Paragallo/Paraneck had purchased for $80,000 at Keeneland's 1994 April sale of two-year-olds.
Old 04-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Hialeah Park

Very tough to read
Old 04-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Hollywood Park

my heart goes out to those poor horses..... how could anyone be so heartless?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

I hate to say this but where is PETA when u need them? Now here is a situation where the peopel involved need to be harrassed and taken to task for this horrible situation. May he never win another race EVER.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:44 AM
Idlewild Airport

And I'm supposed to be believe that Ernie didn't know?
Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 AM
The Curragh

Thrown away like trash. What really disgusts me is invariably the ownership of these horses are "unaware" that the horses were destined for kill pens, slaughter, and other unacceptable treatment along the way. It is BS.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Idlewild Airport

adjective=resembling an enigma; perplexing; mysterious

No mystery here.
Old 04-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Santa Anita

Why isn't he facing jail time ? Vick was jailed . Why isn't he suspended from horse racing ? Vick was suspended from the NFL . Horse racing's hands off policy has worked about as well as a de-regulated Wall Street .

If there were humane rules one would think that all his horses should be placed in receivership and managed by an appointed party . All Paraneck funds and purses would be frozen until this mess is throroughly investigated . We'll see what happens and if it's the usual right wing horse racing BS nothing will be done .

Last edited by sumitas : 04-03-2009 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-03-2009, 11:25 AM
Washington Park

I know these mares' and believe me this is hurting. The last time i saw all these mares were in 06-07 and they were in fine health. There was a full staff working at the farm and it was run by some very hard working and horse loving people. Now i am worried about some of the horses i used to train, because i know they are out at that farm too..This sucks...
Old 04-03-2009, 12:06 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthebox
I know these mares' and believe me this is hurting. The last time i saw all these mares were in 06-07 and they were in fine health. There was a full staff working at the farm and it was run by some very hard working and horse loving people. Now i am worried about some of the horses i used to train, because i know they are out at that farm too..This sucks...
Sorry to hear that Alan.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:34 PM
Stuck in 1994

Paragallo's explanation..

"This is Ernie Paragallo and I am writing to let every one know exactly what happened, I really don't care what any one on this board thinks about me but I want to get the facts out there so maybe some good can come from this and maybe it can stop it from happening in the future. The mares that are in question were the lucky one's in this terrible tragedy, there were a total of 24 mares that were given away to a breeder in florida in mid december. These mares were a part of a package of 60 horses that I had advertised with several bloodstock agents and breeding farms, I had offered the barren mares with a free breed back to any of my NY stallions or to my stallion King Of All Storms in florida. All the horses in this package of 60 were offered for free to the Bloodstock agents and farms, of the 60 horses we had given away about 6 to people in NY at a rate of 1-2 horses per person, in December I received a call from a person in florida who said he had received the list from a bloodstock agent and was interested in the horses, I asked how many and he answer ALL. This was a home run for my business we were going to move 60 horses that had limited value to us and were going to get the added benifits of having the mares bred back to our stallions and we had the potential to earn stallion awards for there offspring. Of the 60 horses 24 were barren mares withe breed back options, 13 pregnant mares where we were going to be co-breeders of the off spring, 10 old racehorses that were going to be used as ponies or pleasure/show horses and 13 2 Yo and 3 yo colt and fillies that they were going to race on a 60/40 split of income with then retaining the greater amount and also paying the entire upkeep. In December two vans arrived at our farm and picked up the 24 barren mares, the drivers said they would be back in a couple of days to pick up the rest. After a week we called back the gentleman who had called us but I never got an answer, safe to say he never came back for the rest. This morning I was called by my girlfriend crying to me about what she had been told and had read on the Rescue Website, I immeadiatly called the Rescue Group and try to find out what had happened. After speaking to them they told me that they knew who had sent the horses there and they believed he had done it before, they let me know that 8 horses had been rescued from the killing pen but believed the others had been slaughtered. This made me sick to hear as most of those mares I either foaled or had since they were babies and did not deserve that faith. This is what happened and I believed I had made the proper business decision but it did'nt turn out that way and it was a terrible tragedy. Like I said I don't care what any one thinks about me because you can not make me feel any worse about myself than I already feel. I have never sent a horse to the killer and I have never mistreated any horse i have ever own, I have gone to great lenghts to keep horses alive even when vets have told me to put them down, I was told by one of the most knowledgeable horsemen I know if they are eating and moving around and look happy there is no reason in the world to put them down."
Old 04-03-2009, 12:44 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPerfectfan
I hate to say this but where is PETA when u need them? Now here is a situation where the peopel involved need to be harrassed and taken to task for this horrible situation. May he never win another race EVER.
PETA doesn't do any animal rescue, nor support any animal abuse cases financially. They are a domestic terrorist organization.

I hope this** doesn't go away soon, and stays in the public eye [** the plight of excess horses that have outlived their current usefullness]

It's no secret that unwanted animals have always been killed. Far better than starvation and neglect.

But we bred them and we put them on this earth - we are responsible for them, they are indeed entitled to humane treatment before their death, and moreso, a humane death, be it a quick bullet in the back field of the farm or at the vets needle. I've euthanized hundreds of animals over my veterinary career, and each single life is important, each is an individual, and each one is entitled to a good death in kind hands.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 04-03-2009, 12:47 PM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
PETA doesn't do any animal rescue, nor support any animal abuse cases financially. They are a domestic terrorist organization.

I hope this doesn't go away soon, and stays in the public eye.

It's no secret that unwanted animals have always been killed. Far better than starvation and neglect.

But we bred them and we put them on this earth - we are responsible for them, they are indeed entitled to humane treatment before their death, and moreso, a humane death, be it a quick bullet in the back field of the farm or at the vets needle. I've euthanized hundreds of animals over my veterinary career, and each single life is important, each is an individual, and each one is entitled to a good death in kind hands.
Riot, very well said. The idea that euthanasia can be completely avoided is not realistic. But suffering should not be allowed to occur. The same with the animals we eat. There is no place for animal abuse in this world.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirisClown
Paragallo's explanation..

"This is Ernie Paragallo and I am writing to let every one know exactly what happened, I really don't care what any one on this board thinks about me but I want to get the facts out there so maybe some good can come from this and maybe it can stop it from happening in the future. The mares that are in question were the lucky one's in this terrible tragedy, there were a total of 24 mares that were given away to a breeder in florida in mid december. These mares were a part of a package of 60 horses that I had advertised with several bloodstock agents and breeding farms, I had offered the barren mares with a free breed back to any of my NY stallions or to my stallion King Of All Storms in florida. All the horses in this package of 60 were offered for free to the Bloodstock agents and farms, of the 60 horses we had given away about 6 to people in NY at a rate of 1-2 horses per person, in December I received a call from a person in florida who said he had received the list from a bloodstock agent and was interested in the horses, I asked how many and he answer ALL. This was a home run for my business we were going to move 60 horses that had limited value to us and were going to get the added benifits of having the mares bred back to our stallions and we had the potential to earn stallion awards for there offspring. Of the 60 horses 24 were barren mares withe breed back options, 13 pregnant mares where we were going to be co-breeders of the off spring, 10 old racehorses that were going to be used as ponies or pleasure/show horses and 13 2 Yo and 3 yo colt and fillies that they were going to race on a 60/40 split of income with then retaining the greater amount and also paying the entire upkeep. In December two vans arrived at our farm and picked up the 24 barren mares, the drivers said they would be back in a couple of days to pick up the rest. After a week we called back the gentleman who had called us but I never got an answer, safe to say he never came back for the rest. This morning I was called by my girlfriend crying to me about what she had been told and had read on the Rescue Website, I immeadiatly called the Rescue Group and try to find out what had happened. After speaking to them they told me that they knew who had sent the horses there and they believed he had done it before, they let me know that 8 horses had been rescued from the killing pen but believed the others had been slaughtered. This made me sick to hear as most of those mares I either foaled or had since they were babies and did not deserve that faith. This is what happened and I believed I had made the proper business decision but it did'nt turn out that way and it was a terrible tragedy. Like I said I don't care what any one thinks about me because you can not make me feel any worse about myself than I already feel. I have never sent a horse to the killer and I have never mistreated any horse i have ever own, I have gone to great lenghts to keep horses alive even when vets have told me to put them down, I was told by one of the most knowledgeable horsemen I know if they are eating and moving around and look happy there is no reason in the world to put them down."
Free to a (good) home is generally not a good idea for re-homing an animal.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagolfer33
Thrown away like trash. What really disgusts me is invariably the ownership of these horses are "unaware" that the horses were destined for kill pens, slaughter, and other unacceptable treatment along the way. It is BS.
Plenty of people drop their dogs and cats and horses off at animal shelters and rescue places, or simply turn them out in the wild, and once they turn and walk away, they mentally absolve themselves of any more responsibility for what subsequently happens to the animal.

Some few could care less, but the vast majority of these owners care quite a bit. Some people feel guilty of such a thing their entire lives. People do the best they can with the resources they have.

It takes alot of guts to kill an animal who is not old, infirmed, or in pain, just because it isn't wanted by the current owner. And few vets will do that. "Good homes" for these animals are rare to non-existent.

There are too many animals, and not enough owners. Period.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 04-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Sam Houston

I have been working with rescue groups in the Southern California area for awhile, and this sort of story is all too common (though not usually on such a large scale with so many horses dumped from the same source). Sorry, I just don't buy the "I made a business decision and had no idea what would happen, I trusted the guy who picked them up" story when this jerk offered up in bulk a large amount of horses FOR FREE (according to the comments he's apparently made). That's a kill buyer's dream situation, and you can't tell me he didn't have a clue that those horses were in serious danger of being sold to slaughter. What he did was not illegal - but certainly inhumane and morally wrong IMO. Its so sad....
Old 04-03-2009, 12:56 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jezebel
I have been working with rescue groups in the Southern California area for awhile, and this sort of story is all too common (though not usually on such a large scale with so many horses dumped from the same source). Sorry, I just don't buy the "I made a business decision and had no idea what would happen, I trusted the guy who picked them up" story when this jerk offered up in bulk a large amount of horses FOR FREE (according to the comments he's apparently made). That's a kill buyer's dream situation, and you can't tell me he didn't have a clue that those horses were in serious danger of being sold to slaughter. What he did was not illegal - but certainly inhumane and morally wrong IMO. Its so sad....
I respect Mr. Paragallo for responding as he did, but wasn't sure how to take it after reading several times...but your "if it's too good to be true" take on the "free" horses is how I feel as well.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:59 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
Why isn't he facing jail time ? Vick was jailed . Why isn't he suspended from horse racing ? Vick was suspended from the NFL . Horse racing's hands off policy has worked about as well as a de-regulated Wall Street .

If there were humane rules one would think that all his horses should be placed in receivership and managed by an appointed party . All Paraneck funds and purses would be frozen until this mess is throroughly investigated . We'll see what happens and if it's the usual right wing horse racing BS nothing will be done .
Haven't you said you are a PETA member? If so, maybe you could consider no longer financially supporting the useless PETA, and instead consider sending your annual PETA donation to somewhere more useful to ending cases like like, such as Old Friends, etc.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:03 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Sorry, I just don't buy the "I made a business decision and had no idea what would happen, I trusted the guy who picked them up" story when this jerk offered up in bulk a large amount of horses FOR FREE (according to the comments he's apparently made). That's a kill buyer's dream situation, and you can't tell me he didn't have a clue that those horses were in serious danger of being sold to slaughter.
People have to be able to distance themselves mentally from the animal ultimately ending up dead because they no longer wanted it
Old 04-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Hawthorne

Thumbs down

Quote:
I recall the case of Warren's mares as well here in California, he stated he too had no idea they were going to slaughter, the thing is, it doesn't take a rocket scientist in these tough times to know that NOBODY wants a large herd of horses to care for, clean, feed etc... It doesn't make financial sense. I have multiple horses of my own, and believe me, I full well understand the pressure and pinch of feeding them, but you can't just turn your back and walk away, I would have far more respect for someone humanely euthanizing or, yes, even placing a well aimed bullet in the horse's head than to subject them to the pain and agony of starving, becoming weak and ill and God forbid, subjected to the terror of a Mexican slaughter house, the point is these horses didn't asked to be created, when we breeders/owners became their guardians, we took on the responsability of their lives, it's entirely in our respective hands what happens to them from that point onward, and I can tell you as tough as it's been lately for everyone, this plight is still completely unacceptable and downright appalling.