Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Equine Health, Retirement & Aftercare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-06-2007, 07:24 AM
Oriental Park

Its hard to detect unless you have a fridge full of vials labled "TOXIC, COBRA VENOM"

I guess we should forgive him, afterall he is French
Old 07-06-2007, 08:16 AM
Calder Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid
I guess we should forgive him, afterall he is French
Old 07-06-2007, 08:29 AM
Oriental Park

If that thing came with a fold out syringe we could rest comfortably knowing Biancone had one.

That things pretty funny Rob, just got done reading through all the options
Old 07-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concern
Cobra venom is used to deaden the nerve endings, making it possible for an injured horse to run without feeling any pain. Should the pre-existing injury that is being masked by the venom lead to an unfortunate breakdown, all of the horses and jockeys in the race are potentially in danger of losing their lives. This is a very serious offense and life in prison is not an unrealistic penalty in this case.
Life in prison for possesion of cobra venom is a little harsh, dont ya think?
Old 07-06-2007, 11:19 AM
Oriental Park

Probably a good punishment for Biancone would be taking away his cigarettes
Old 07-06-2007, 03:12 PM
Concern

I'm not suggesting that mere possession of cobra venom could lead to life in prison. However, if it is proven that he knowingly used it on a horse, that is a different matter open to a number of federal charges.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Churchill Downs

Is it me, or is it ridiculous that racing jurisdictions are continuing to accept entries from this guy? If they have the evidence, the tracks should enforce their private property rights and revoke his stalls and bar him from running. Otherwise, this mess will get dragged through the legal system (and I say this as a lawyer), and justice will be delayed and denied.

Before people start with the "innocent until proven guilty" line, as far as racing goes, this is not a criminal matter. The same rights/protections do not apply. The stall applications at most tracks say that management has the absolute right to deny/revoke privileges (similar to an at-will employee who can be fired at any time, for any reason or no reason at all) at any time. I wish some of these track execs would have the guts to exercise these rights; until they do, cleaning up the game will be left to the ineffective government regulators.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsixfarms
Is it me, or is it ridiculous that racing jurisdictions are continuing to accept entries from this guy? If they have the evidence, the tracks should enforce their private property rights and revoke his stalls and bar him from running. Otherwise, this mess will get dragged through the legal system (and I say this as a lawyer), and justice will be delayed and denied.

Before people start with the "innocent until proven guilty" line, as far as racing goes, this is not a criminal matter. The same rights/protections do not apply. The stall applications at most tracks say that management has the absolute right to deny/revoke privileges (similar to an at-will employee who can be fired at any time, for any reason or no reason at all) at any time. I wish some of these track execs would have the guts to exercise these rights; until they do, cleaning up the game will be left to the ineffective government regulators.
I completely agree.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Spendabuck85

I agree, jockeys have been banned so why not a trainer.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:35 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:

I've stated this already,and what I don't get is how they can toss the jockey's off the property for alleged cheating/wagering scams with no explanation,Yet this guy is caught red handed and they do nothing.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

There is no doubt in my mind if he didn't have the powerful owners that he has he would have been tossed off the grounds of Keeneland on the spot. As much as I hate to say it I believe he will skate on this. Just as Assmussen and other high profile guys never seem to lose any business despite troubles similar to this. The "leaders" of the industry are not that concerned with cleaning up the sport because many of them are highly involved with those who need to be cleansed. Sad but true.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:55 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concern
I'm not suggesting that mere possession of cobra venom could lead to life in prison. However, if it is proven that he knowingly used it on a horse, that is a different matter open to a number of federal charges.
It would seem that an illegal substance adminstered to a horse that results in injury or worse to the jockey might result in serious consequences for those responsible.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:22 PM
Oriental Park

Chuck, I know you are usually right but I think Mr Biancone is going to go on a vacation for this, and not a short one. Class 1, injectables in the barn, and the guy has already been in trouble, is it possible he gets off with a slapped wrist? I cant believe hes still allowed to enter, amazing.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:27 PM
Les Bois

Quote:

They dont seem to have a problem banning jockeys that haven't been charged with anything yet.

good point
Old 07-06-2007, 08:29 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Chuck, I know you are usually right but I think Mr Biancone is going to go on a vacation for this, and not a short one. Class 1, injectables in the barn, and the guy has already been in trouble, is it possible he gets off with a slapped wrist? I cant believe hes still allowed to enter, amazing.
I hope that I am wrong on this one. But I just get this feeling that he is going to get a 60 day suspension which will be appealed forever until he takes his days a la Pletcher in the winter when he would not run much anyway. He wont lose any horses or clients and as soon as he is done with his vacation things will go back to being status quo.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Oriental Park

If that happens it will be TRAGIC

I hate to wish bad on anyone but hes had more than enough chances

I can only thing of one other guy who could get away with having King Cobras in their tackroom fridge on the grounds of Keeneland or Churchill
Old 07-06-2007, 08:41 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
If that happens it will be TRAGIC

I hate to wish bad on anyone but hes had more than enough chances

I can only thing of one other guy who could get away with having King Cobra on the grounds of Keeneland or Churchill
I can think of 5. TP,KM,SM,SA,DR.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:44 PM
Oriental Park

All of them and Cresini. Hes been known to keep the fridge stocked with King Cobras
Old 07-06-2007, 08:47 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
All of them and Cresini. Hes been known to keep the fridge stocked with King Cobras
He is an untouchable....literally
Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 PM
Sha Tin

http://www.drf.com/news/article/86497.html

Read this and tell me you wont start having doubts about what is going to happen