Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Esoteric Central
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2006, 09:41 PM
The Curragh

Default Who is, are your Hero(s)?

Straight forward question, I look forward to reading your answers!

For me I have many, but these are the ones that I look towards for strength when times are tough. Children who are sick and battling what life has thrown their way and their families who refuse to give up and stay by their side day and night. Courage can be defined by those children who did not put themself in harms way but yet were dealt with the blow of whatever ailment/disease they have. But yet they fight on day in and day out. Thru it all their family and loved ones fight the fight right by their side.

Those folks, the children and their families, always will be my Heroes. Top of my list and I look forward to helping them as long as I am alive.

Last edited by 2MinsToPost : 12-05-2006 at 09:44 PM.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:43 PM
Churchill Downs

I had to think about this one... who have I admired and respected enough to call "my hero"? The one person I keep coming back to in my mind is my PT instructor in the CHP academy (I'm not a cop anymore but went through training back in '89). Sgt. Frank Governor pushed me harder than anyone in my life, he made me realize that I really could do anything I set my mind to. Sgt. Governor was your typical PT instructor, screaming at you, calling you a "by god embarassment" and other derogratory names if you didn't give your maximum effort... I blew out my knee half way through the academy and was really worried my police career was over before it even got started... before I went out on disability, Sgt. took me aside and told me in a quite voice that he expected to see me back in the academy, that I was tough and I would make a good cop. I worked my ass of rehabbing my torn ACL and cartilage and was back in the academy six months to the day after my surgery. I graduated and went to work in Central Los Angeles and never saw the Sgt. again... I really wished he knew just how important he was in my life. I am the person I am today because of him (and a few other people).

Thanks for the topic, I appreciate the memories
Old 12-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

my mom is pretty kickass

but id have to say that when it comes to heroes -- its all touring musicians:

catie curtis, edie carey, and deb talan

period.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:12 AM
The Curragh

my mom and dad.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Monmouth Park

Tom Coughlin
Eli Manning
Steve Asmussen
Coach Bob Knight
Birdstone

Repent
Old 12-06-2006, 01:31 AM
Coach Pants

There are many but one that comes to mind is Jimmy Valvano. His tournament was held tonight and they showed his speech at the '93 ESPYs. It brings a tear to my eye everytime I see it.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:52 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
There are many but one that comes to mind is Jimmy Valvano. His tournament was held tonight and they showed his speech at the '93 ESPYs. It brings a tear to my eye everytime I see it.

agree.
if you have ever seen Coach Knight's speech(which was funded by the school paper) several days after he was fired from IU,
then you know the speech I feel the same way about.
I have not cried since I was 10 years old, but I came close that day.

Repent
Old 12-06-2006, 10:00 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by repent
agree.
if you have ever seen Coach Knight's speech(which was funded by the school paper) several days after he was fired from IU,
then you know the speech I feel the same way about.
I have not cried since I was 10 years old, but I came close that day.

Repent

I love the part where he wants to be buried upside down so they can kiss his ass, thats where Repent had to shed back a tear
Old 12-06-2006, 10:17 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Wow...anyone who fits my definition of a hero (borrowed from Angel)...a hero is a person who sees the world for what it is but lives his/her life as if it were as it should be!
A few names:
Dr Martin Luther King
Medgar Evers
Rosa Parks
Harry Truman
and of course...Joss Whedon
Old 12-06-2006, 12:16 PM
Santa Anita

Well isn't this a neat thread.

Honestly, I have to say my mom. Love her and look up to her. If I turn out to be half the woman she is, then I will be happy.
Old 12-06-2006, 12:20 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

with out question its batman...then the brock guy..
Old 12-06-2006, 12:30 PM
pgardn

Charles Darwin.

He has had more effect on the way educated people from every country and background view life on earth than any man I can think of. And he wrote for the layman so that his ideas would be clear, concise, and understood. He layed out his ideas and evidence like a well written law brief. He also pointed out all the weak points in his ideas (which have now been explained). A very humble intellectual that wanted nothing more than to help people see the truth.
No evil intentions as some Neaderthals would have one believe, just an incredible view of all life and the mechanism by which populations change.

He is the MAN.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:05 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Tommy Wine...aka "Tuna"

Was my boss and mentor in the golf business....taught me anything and everything there is to know about my line of work. Worked side by side with him for 3 years and there isn't a day goes by that I don't think about him. He passed away May 29, 2003 of brain tumors at the age of 52. I miss him dearly
Old 12-06-2006, 06:26 PM
Fairgrounds

Default My Hero

Everyone has their hero's. I would have to say that my hero is my son. What makes him my hero. When he was born he was 14 ounces at birth. Very soon after he was born he was helicoptered to Children's Hospital in St. Louis. While there he was diagnosed with spastic cerebral palsy. The doctors didn't know what kind of life he would lead. They said it was possible he would not lead a very productive life. He also has a neurogenic bladder. But he has overcome all of these obstacles and leads a very productive life. He is now a freshman in school making mostly A's and a B here and there. He also wants to be a preacher or in the law field when he gets older. His dream of going to college is Harvard. Earlier this year he graduated from going to the Shriner's hospital. You want go to some where that will bring to near tears, go to a Shriner's hospital. It make you realize how precious life is. Shriner's hospital has done some wonderful work on my son.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar1966
Everyone has their hero's. I would have to say that my hero is my son. What makes him my hero. When he was born he was 14 ounces at birth. Very soon after he was born he was helicoptered to Children's Hospital in St. Louis. While there he was diagnosed with spastic cerebral palsy. The doctors didn't know what kind of life he would lead. They said it was possible he would not lead a very productive life. He also has a neurogenic bladder. But he has overcome all of these obstacles and leads a very productive life. He is now a freshman in school making mostly A's and a B here and there. He also wants to be a preacher or in the law field when he gets older. His dream of going to college is Harvard. Earlier this year he graduated from going to the Shriner's hospital. You want go to some where that will bring to near tears, go to a Shriner's hospital. It make you realize how precious life is. Shriner's hospital has done some wonderful work on my son.
It's amazing what kids can teach us,isn't it. They have the innate ability to deal with what comes their way. Prayers for your boy and family.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:55 PM
top predator.

my cousin Chris...@ age 18 three days before X-mas he and his brother were skiing in the berkshires...both were expert skiers on the US olympic development team...he was trying out new bindings and they were not set properly...when they pre-released he hit a tree going, god knows how fast and shattered 4 vertebrae in his lower spine. he has been paralyzed from the waist down since that day in 1989.
2 months after his accident he was back in college...he re-learned to ski using a monoski and has represented the United States' in several para-olympic games (he has earned more medals than any other athlete in the para-olympics)...he has also done some amazing things in the track and field wheelchair divisions.
He founded an adaptive ski program for disabled children and adults in Park City where he now lives and is a motivational speaker...he claims that his accident may be the best thing that ever happened to him.
And yet whenever people meet him the only thing they remember was that he was named one of People magazines 50 most beautiful people (I can't remember the year think it was '99 or '00)...Crazy world.

But that's who I admire.
http://www.uhgroup.com/ultimate-heal...Speakers&id=73

Last edited by paisjpq : 12-06-2006 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:06 PM
Cahokia Downs

Wow, what a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing such an uplifting story. You being a great Dad had a lot to do with his great recovery I'm sure.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:48 PM
Fairgrounds

With him being an only child, boy do I spoil him. But he has earned all of it. The older he gets the more expensive it is. When he was it was Thomas trains, now its a cell phone, computer or PS2. At least I can the PS2 with him. If its a wrestling or football game I get my butt handed to me.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:30 AM
Steve Byk

The outcome of the story of the cNet tech writer dad (James Kim) who died trying to reach civilization to save his wife and children made me think of this thread... He made it 16 miles in the Oregon mountains.

Very sad.. http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...im_x.htm?csp=1