Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-23-2016, 07:25 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
As I said, there are no facts to back my feelings so I won't even try. I wouldn't use the fact that she has only faced her own sex or hasn't run outside of restricted races as the argument against her. Sometimes, the toughest competition comes from your own group. Easy Goer was destroying older horses but couldn't handle Sunday Silence. Before her last couple, many felt that Beholder was the best in the country so beating her might have been a tougher challenge than beating the boys.

Again, I'm conceding that I probably am overrating Songbird because her sorry competition has made her look better than she is and if my life depended on it, I'd take Chrome over her. But I just have a feeling that we are seeing a truly special horse and the best is yet to come from her and she's gonna surprise some people.
I think she's going to surprise people too. With how poorly she stacks up to horses outside of her age group.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:29 AM
Arlington Park

I hope they don't run Chrome in Dubai next year. Rather see him stateside racing.

I'm not going to knock Songbird's potential but at this point it's going to take a very significant improvement for her to give Chrome any trouble.
Old 08-23-2016, 09:49 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pants II View Post
I hope they don't run Chrome in Dubai next year. Rather see him stateside racing.
Do you think they run him at all next year?
Old 08-23-2016, 10:21 AM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post
Why wouldn't they? He will never command big dollars in the breeding shed and could earn ten million or more in a brief campaign.

Paul
Old 08-23-2016, 10:33 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDog View Post

Yes. I think they run him until he decides he doesn't want to compete.

Taylor Made would be silly to put him in the shed as his mere presence on the race course helps promote their business on a multitude of levels.
Old 08-23-2016, 01:23 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

There is that $12 million race in Florida.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-23-2016, 01:48 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pweizer View Post
Why wouldn't they? He will never command big dollars in the breeding shed and could earn ten million or more in a brief campaign.

Paul
I think he could stand for 20- 25k for the first 3 years with 100+ good mares. The biggest issue races his thru DWC17 is he will miss the 17 season. I would IF he stays as good because the pots for Peg and DWC are huge windfalls. But what do I know
Old 08-23-2016, 02:20 PM
Arlington Park

If Chrome wins...

Awesome Again
Classic
The Pegasus Cup

then that is roughly $12,000,000 in purse and bonus earnings.

Perry Martin is sitting in the catbird's seat. He's smart enough to know extending the racing career of a proven champion will only add to the value of the horse at stud. And being honest about it he knows that the odds of the horse being successful in the barn are miniscule at best.

You're talking maybe 15-20 million in the barn...if they're lucky.

Chrome stays healthy in training you're looking at that $12 million within 6 months and who knows how much afterwards.

Truly a once in a generation type horse. Thank the gods he has shoddy breeding.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:25 PM
Havre de Grace

Default Art Sherman

The man has done an outstanding job with the big hoss. He stopped and gave him time when he needed it. Has kept him sound and racing for a good long time He has a healthy and happy hoss, and managed to get that nitwit away from him . Just a tremendous job all around.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
There is that $12 million race in Florida.
They've already bought their share in it, so yeah, I think that's the plan.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:46 PM

Huge run from Arrogate today. Would have taken a lot to beat him but after watching two of the classic winners run up the track, I can't believe that you guys really don't think Songbird could even hang with the ones that going into today were supposed to be the top of the division.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 08-27-2016, 09:53 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Huge run from Arrogate today. Would have taken a lot to beat him but after watching two of the classic winners run up the track, I can't believe that you guys really don't think Songbird could even hang with the ones that going into today were supposed to be the top of the division.
You changed your tune now to say that Songbird is just the best 3yo? Not the best horse?
Old 08-27-2016, 10:01 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
You changed your tune now to say that Songbird is just the best 3yo? Not the best horse?
He's not even saying the best 3YO. He's saying the best of "who was supposed to be at the top going into today." Because suggesting that Songbird would've been within a city block of Arrogate is too delusional even for KG.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie View Post
No. I still think she is the best horse. But I also conceded that there isn't evidence on my side to support me. This performance by Arrogate was spectacular and it would have taken an even more incredible performance to beat him, the kind that we have rarely seen over the past 30 years. Does that make Arrogate the best 3yo ever? I'm not ready to proclaim that so I'll say that one race doesn't automatically make him the best of this year either. My only point was that minus him, she rates well with everyone else that was in that race yesterday so I don't think it was outlandish to suggest that she could.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
He's not even saying the best 3YO. He's saying the best of "who was supposed to be at the top going into today." Because suggesting that Songbird would've been within a city block of Arrogate is too delusional even for KG.
She would have been nowhere close to him. My question for you would be.......who would have been? Don't limit it to just horses from this year.
Old 08-28-2016, 01:46 PM
Goodwood

King Glorious, are you a politician?